Allatoona Catfisherman Fisherman?

Discussion in 'GEORGIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Fishermancat1, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Fishermancat1

Fishermancat1 Member

State:
    Cobb Co. Georgia
    I am very interesed in catching flathead catfish. I called the DNR and they said that they are in the lake impoundment. How come when i ask about the flatheads everybody else says all they have caught were channel cats. Are people just not fishing for flatheads at Lake Allatoona or what?

2. Jack Herber

Jack Herber New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    They are in there. I have a pic of a 13 pounder from last year. Obviously, I haven't located the big ones but at least that 13 pounder is back in the gene pool (CPR).

3. Fishermancat1

Fishermancat1 Member

State:
    Cobb Co. Georgia
    Did you say you caught that flathead near a creek mouth or in the impoundment. Would like to know where you caught that on specifically. Might try that area out with your info. thanks

4. Jack Herber

Jack Herber New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    I've put this info out before so bear with me. I launched from the Little River ramp (actually called Cherokee Mills). Head out under the bridge to the main lake. Go right out of the river. You will be heading up lake. Be aware that you have to make a real wide swing out of Little River to avoid a point that juts out. It is well marked with the appropriate marker posts but it is something to watch for if you have not gone that way before and especially now at less than full pool.
    After the right hand turn onto the main lake, watch for marker posts on your right that indicate a hump, then there are marker posts on the left, again indicating a hump. Those posts on the left are what you are looking for. There is one of those nest platforms on the furthest post. During full pool those posts are only 4 or 5 feet deep so it may be exposed right now. Anyway, that drop off is actually the Ettawa river channel. At full pool it will drop off into 30 feet and more. You're kinda in the middle of nowhere except for the marker posts so I use sonar and marker bouys to mark the drop off. I back up and anchor up shallow and set my lines along my markers. That way you can get some lines at several depths by how far you are from the bouys. By the way, that flattie came on Wal-mart shrimp in July.

5. Jack Herber

Jack Herber New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    Just a quick update. I fished this spot today and wanted to pass this along. We only got a couple of "eaters" (1 to 2 lbs) but what I wanted to warn you about is the wind. There was a pretty good chop out there and because you are very exposed, when the wind comes up it can get pretty miserable. We managed a couple of hours but when the anchors broke loose, we had to move to more protected territory.