Allatoona Blue Catfish

Discussion in 'GEORGIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Jack Herber, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Jack Herber

Jack Herber New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    Ok, maybe I'm all wet here but here's my story. I went out on Allatoona about 2:00 AM Monday. I went up to the Knox bridge on the Ettewa and anchored on the 90 degree bend on the lake side of the bridge. There's a good twenty foot deep hole right along the shoreline. Seemed like a good spot. After I got my rods baited up and set I thought I might just goof off and I threw out three jugs with shrimp on them. Actually they were 20 ounce drink bottles. Well, the night was a complete bust. I had two live bream, shrimp and nightcrawlers out. Not a bite on anything.
    Around 9:00 AM I gave up and stowed my gear. I then began to search for my jugs. Now, I am not a jug fisherman. I don't keep anythintg I catch. I just like to do this to see what may be in the area AND where they might go afterwards. Well, the first two were a couple hundred yards down stream (towards the lake). The shrimp were gone. Good sign. The third was almost to the next big bend, down around the dredging barge. It was bobbing and swimming. It took almost 20 minutes of chasing and it was taken under several times and I had to wait for it to surface.
    Here's the hard to believe part. It was a seven LB blue cat. I have fished Allatoona for 12 years now and this is the first blue I have seen from it. Maybe you guys can fill me in. Is this the oddity I think it is or are blues not that uncommon in Allatoona? It wasn't too long ago that you didn't hear much about flatties in Allatoona and now they seem to more common. Is someone on their own stocking program?
    Any thoughts on the blues?

2. bradley_G

bradley_G New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    I have heard that they are there, but havent caught one yet myself (or payed close enough attention if I did)

Take a pic by chance?

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Never fished there myself, but it would not be hard to believe that someone has put some blues in there somewhere along the line. If there are not too many, they would grow quite fast.

Thanks for sharing your story

4. Jack Herber

Jack Herber New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    No, no pics. Since I don't do it for meat there's no pride in my jugging. I just do it for info.

5. bradley_G

bradley_G New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    hoping to see one of these spoken of blues. was she purdy or did it look like she'd been through a mess?

6. Jack Herber

Jack Herber New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    Actually she was picture perfect. No marks or chews. It sure was odd seeing that square rear fin. Had to look twice.

7. bradley_G

bradley_G New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    after reading this it made me thind so I went back looking through pics of allatoona trips, and I found this pic. Looks a lot like a blue to me, what do you guys think?

Attached Files:

8. Jack Herber

Jack Herber New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    That rear fin is unmistakeable. That's a blue. I assume it came from Allatoona?

9. bradley_G

bradley_G New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    yep. up the little river side, but not very far.

10. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    That looks like a blue in the pic to me Bradley. Blues are native to the Etowah Basin (so are flatheads), but you don't hear much about them from Allatoona and upriver from there.

11. pnssac

pnssac New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Brad, you are going to have to fill me in on some of your Allatoona bank spots. I fish mainly at Tanyard creek in Acworth and have been doing well targeting "dink" catfish with my ultralight, but mostly see folks fishing for carp there.

12. bradley_G

bradley_G New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    sure man. I'll shoot you a PM with the some details.

13. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Bradley, that looks like a silver coosa cat. It might be a record. They're pretty rare.

14. Jack Herber

Jack Herber New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    OK, Paul, I gotta ask. What are the distinguishing marks that would make it a silver coosa cat? I've never heard of that species.

15. bradley_G

bradley_G New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    I think the tint of your sunglasses has skewed the natural light from the picture, giving the illusion such a fish exists.... lol

16. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Well, I had Jack going for a little while. LOL

17. Jack Herber

Jack Herber New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    Oh, goodie!! That's me, just like a big ol' flattie. Hook, line and sinker. Good one!!