all your help n opinions will be helpful.

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by upncomincatfishking, Jan 14, 2008.

1. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    i have a river spot and right across from it is a spot where the water just turns in swirls its under or right on the other side of a bridge and there are some old railroad ties or something stickin out of the water like from an old dock or something. i wanted to know if you guys would consider this as a place to throw some lines or a waste of time? and how would you go about fishin it cause its un accessable by boat only from the bank? i was thinkin maybe weith a bobber and drift it but any tips will be appreciated!!!!

2. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Well first off. I like your name. Confidence will carry you through the nights with no bights lol. Your spot sounds perfect. I think you are hitting right on with the float idea. Put it right in that eddy and let it swirl around in circles. Pull it over close to those logs when you can. My main suggestion is this, take lots of tackle. Don't be afraid to lose setups. If you can lose 20 setups but find the spot where you can put that babie without losing setups in the future .... you now have gold. You should try some bottom fishing as well. It sounds like it's gonna take a few hours to learn how to fish that spot but I have an idea it might become your favorite spot. especially since everyone else is probably too intimidated to fish it. Imagine, a spot that holds big flathead.... and no one else fishes there!

3. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I left out the fact that all my (learning/experimenting) fishin I do is in the daytime. Losing all those setups at night when you can't see will not do you much good.Learn it in the day then fish it at night. Better hold onto your pole tight.Be persistant to, 3 fishing trips there with no bites doesn't mean there's nothing there.

4. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Chris you are a very wise man in my eyes:wink: EXPERIENCE IS THE BEST TEACHER CONSIDERIN WHAT ITT COST IT SHOULD BE (Italion Proverb)
    Ohh but them lonely long nights with no-love....No bites the agoney of Mr.Whiskers beating you ........That is until that first big one then its pure addiction and drenilin and they aint never big enough after that.......
    I call it Chasin Moby or Findig Nemo but Its all still Chasin Hawgs!:big_smile:

5. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    good spot adam cover timber the concrete from the bridge current breaks deep hole good spots good job rick

6. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    IF YOUR FISHING THAT SPOT DURING THE DAY THE FLOAT IS A GOOD IDEA, BUT REMEMBER IF YOUR CHASING FLATHEAD THE MAJORITY START THEIR PROWL AT FIRST SIGNS OF DARK. I WOULD GET THERE 2 HOURS BEFOR DARK AND PLACE BAITS AROUND THE JAM, BUT LEAVE YOURSELF SOME ROOM TO FIGHT THE FISH, I USED TO LOSE ALOT OF BIG ONES PUTTING MY BAITS RIGHT IN THE JAM.

GOOD FISHIN

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Id use maybe one with a float and one without and see what happens.Then you will know if there on bottom or close to the top.you might get snagged a few times but thats just part of the game.you gotta go where there at.

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sounds like that spot might hold alot of fish...But be prepared you are gonna lose alot of rigs fishing it..When you snag, and you will alot dont cut your line, try to break it off at the hook...Or will have a big jumbled mess of line in that area adding to your problems.

9. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Sounds like a spot I would fish for sure. Eddy, wood cover, bridge, hole. What could be better? Do like Chris and these guys have said. Go out there and see how close you can cast without getting hung up. ( you know just square knot a sinker on the end of your line and cast into it). Slowly drag the sinker back across the bottom and you'll soon discover any hidden features and snags. You may want to toss out a 3-way, or modified 3-way rig, with a 10lb test dropper to your sinker, that way it will hang up on purpose, but a fish can still break it when he hits, or you can break it if its time to rebait. I would still put some time in on a spot like that. And like said above, don't write that spot off if you don't catch a fish the first 3 trips. I have spent 30 trips on a spot that I knew held flats before I lucked out and they were feeding the night I was there.

10. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Sounds to me like you found you a nice hole. Get you some nice bait cast into that hole and leave it sit for awhile. Your bound to lose a bunch of rigs but i've fished spots like the one you described and caught numerous fish and some good sized ones too. Not too many spots are not worth trying if their piled up with old wood. Big flatheads love these kinds of spots.:wink:

11. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Me personally, I'm always fishing that 3 way sacrifice system Mr S_man. I have come to love it.

12. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Give it a try, just remember your going to get snagged up and lose tackle. Try different baits, different depths, and different areas within the fishing area you have stated.

13. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i would bet that its full of channel cats in day and flats at night. as said try a float rig and a bottom rig. you mite try a trot line over night too just to test while you sleep, dreaming of what morning holds for you on that line!!!!!

be sure to let us know how this spot treats you.

14. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    if the water rite on the bank is a foot deep or deeper id put 1 line just off the bank and let it fish all nite.

15. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Find your water depths in that area all the way from the bank to the structure. you can get a good idea by casting a sinker out and looking at the angle of the line when tight off the bottom. If there is a shelf under water between the structure and the bank, I would throw a bottom rig there at the top of the shelf right before dark. After dark, fish the shallow areas or closer to the bank. Use live baitfish or cut bluegill heads. Always keep one line out in the deep area or near the structure. Dont give up after the first time there with no hits, fish might not be active that evening. Follow up with a 2nd and 3rd trip there, or at different times throughout the night.