All you wheel weight melting guys

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by KatKaller, Mar 2, 2006.

1. KatKaller

KatKaller New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have a couple of questions for ya. Maybe I should have posted this somewhere else but here goes. How long does it take you to melt enough weights for 5lbs of pure lead? Right now it is taking me 30-40min. with my current equipment (very small cast iron pot, and burner on the side of my outdoor grill). Is this about right or do I need to upgrade to a Hotpot or something else. I am getting about a 65-70% return on raw material to ingots what have you guys found? Also what do you do to clean your pot, if at all, I keep having a little build up that I can't break loose. Any ideas. Thanks

2. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I have a Coleman stove I converted to propane and I use a small ladle to melt mine. But a tip to help it move along faster, is to get a small propane torch and as the ladle is melting it heat and melt the top at the same time and it will cut the melting time in half. Good Luck to you. If you want more help on melting or pouring lead just drop me a pm.;)

3. KatKaller

KatKaller New Member

State:
    Alabama
    That is a great tip. I actually figured that one out the other day. It helps a lot to use a propane torch to begin with to get the pot up to max temp quickly.

4. etipriga

etipriga New Member

State:
    TX
    I think that your not supposed to use those melting pots to melt down the tire wieghts because there are to many impurities in the metal. I dont use a melting pot but other guys have said that your only supposed to use the pot after you get a clean ingot. i would also think that if you have a smaller pot then the smaller you make the ingots the faster they will melt.

When i melt down my tire weights i just start a fire and use the air compressor to get it real hot then just start dropping the weights in. For my ingots i poor the led in a small pot and its about half and inch thick(the lead). When i melt the ingots to poor my weights i use one of those big propane torches and melt off the ingot in about three pieces. With that torch i can set the flame real hot so it takes about 1 min or less to get the lead ready for pooring. I only use this application when im planning on making a lot of wieghts(around fifty pounds). If i was only gonna do about five pounds then i would make those smaller muffin ingots.

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have a Lee Production Pot that i have been melting wheel weights in for years, never had an issue with "impurities". you just have to make sure you skim all the junk off before you start melting. also i never let mine go empty. i always leave about 1/4-3/8 of lead to cool off in it. i also use a propane torch to help melt the first initial batch of weights.

6. KatKaller

KatKaller New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I am using a cast iron pot with a pint capacity. It has worked well, I just it worked faster. I just skim of the trash and it's all shiny underneath. So what do yall clean yours with and how long does it take to make 5lbs? Here's a what it looks like:

Attached Files:

7. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Time is releative. If it takes 30 minutes it takes 30 minutes. If you want to get done faster get a bigger pot and a bigger burner. Find you a propane turkey fryer burning and crank it up. Put a big cast iron pot 8 or 12 quart. Then just put a little lead in til it starts to melt then add tire weights as it melts.

To clean your lead you need to stir the lead to keep the impurities off the bottom and sides of melting pot. I use candle wax to help clean the lead. After you have all that you want melted put a tablespoon size chunk of wax in the pot and stir . Be careful the wax will burn and that helps burn up the impurities.

If you use a bigger burner and larger pot you should be able to melt 5 lbs of lead in 10 to 15 minutes.

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    You folks be careful when messing with molten lead. There is the obvious burn hazard, but the unseen danger is lead poisoning. Be sure everything is well ventilated, and do it outside if possible.

9. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Lead poisoning!!! I've been doing I've been doing it for I've been doing it.......Lead poisoning!! I've been...Lead pois.... there's nothing wrong with me.

10. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i use the same technique as dinkbuster.as for lead poisioning im sure its an issue . i love the way all the fishing products made with lead have warning labels on them.40 years ago i use to cchew on sinkers while we crappie fished from our boat dock.hmm i my alreadt be part owner in water gremlin and dont even know it.

11. whichrod

whichrod New Member

State:
    columbia sc
    yall gotta watch the temps on the lead you need to keep it around 327 to 350 degrees if you happen to heat it to 500 and above it will vaporise and cause death a mask will not stop the lead from entering your body when heated this high , you should always wear a mask to pretect you from the lead dust, if you are getting tire weights stock up the epa is starting to crack down on businesses and they have to have proof where there getting rid of there lead at so now there using companies that recycvle the lead and they turn in the paper work , annnyway happy melting

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    All those bass----- won't be happy till were eating tofu and wiping how when and with how mutch tp they tell us we can use. Im shure someone is trying to get rid of guns before long someone will be trying to get rid of _____ when and were will it stop:mad: . What they really need to do is crack down on stupid people. If someone cant figure out that lead dont taste all that great and the pointy end of a gun will kill than heres your sighn RIP:rolleyes:

13. KatKaller

KatKaller New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I sure hope that is degrees Celcius you are quoting because I'd have a helluva time pouring sinkers at 350 Fahrenheit. LOL :p

14. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    If I am not mistaken lead doesnt start to melt until it hits 400. It take at least 500 to pour good sinkers.

Yes ventilation is a must. Never melt lead indoors. Make sure the wind is blowing it away from you.

15. RiverOtter

RiverOtter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Me and some friends melt wheel weights we get from a mechanic. We just put the weights in a pot we bought at WalMart and put a propane torch under the pot. It takes about 5-6 minutes to make a pound of lead. This may not be the safest or most efficient, but the way we do it.

16. G3Morton

G3Morton New Member

State:
    Indiana
    We use a fish cooker burner with a old cast iron skillet on top of it. We try to go to the salvage yards and find old fashing that has been removed from house roofs, or old lead pipes. Wheel weights will work ok, but there is alot of skimming to do, to get good lead. If you can't seem to find lead at salvage yards you can allways go to the hardware store and get what they call plumbers lead or you can buy the new flat sheets of flashing there also.

17. G3Morton

G3Morton New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Also please take note to all the posts before this one.

WHEN MELTING LEAD, PLEASE DO THIS OUTSIDE AND IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA. THE FUMES OFF THIS STUFF WHEN MELTING IS NOT SOMETHING YOU WANT TO BREATH.

18. RiverOtter

RiverOtter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    That is right there is a lot of skimming to do, but me and my friends still have really strong a good looking weights. Plus the wheel weights are free, so that makes it better.
    Yes make sure you do this outside. Not only does it smell bad, but it can cause lead poisoning.

19. KatKaller

KatKaller New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I appreciate everyone's concern for the lead poisoning. It always turns up on this subject, BUT can anyone answer the questions in the original post? Thanks

20. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    ok, it takes me using what I have mentioned earlier about 20-25 mins to melt 5 lbs. of lead. I would up grade to something else and the return on your raw mat. is about right and I don't clean the pot of the residue, just scrap it out once in a while. That does answer your questions....lol