All you kahle hook users!

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Chief, May 7, 2006.

1. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i got j hooks down. got circle hooks down. now its time to give the kahle hooks a try. is it really true that you can use them just like circle hooks and still have the same hook-up rate? tight lined and in a rod holder?

2. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I use kahles excluseviely I have never used circles i let the fish take the baitrunner when i disengage i reel up the slack and bury the hook the fealing of setting the hook is what is all about. Hooked a thirty pounder this weekend and it was like stopping a truck what a fealing.

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Chief I believe from what Ive been told is you can use them like Circles or like J's. I pretty much use Kahles all the time and I havnt had to set a hook yet but I could if I wanted to. Now not to make it sound like Im doing great Ive only caught 2 so my hook rate is 100% LOL but I havnt been able to test them since the fish know Im comming and laugh at me while I sit there dejected because Im not getting any bits :big_smile:

4. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    I've got to agree Mark. Set that hook and your arm goes the other way, hello. Kinda makes those little hairs twitch on yer neck just thinkin about it. Yes Sir.
    Don

5. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    What everybody said here is quite true... kahle's are a j-hook, circle hook hybrid. And I do enjoy setting the hook. However I really like circles because it's nearly impossible for a fish to get gut hooked. If you're eating them anyway, it doesn't matter. But if you're chasing trophy cats that will be released, use circles for the fish's sake.

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Khales are all I use. You can set them yourself of let them hook themselves. Got better hook ratios with them then any other hook I have tried.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Khale hooks are self-hooking like circles, usually hooking right in the corner of the mouth, just like circles; on the other hand, if you like crossing their eyes, you can do that with a kahle, just like a J hook. IMO, the only advantage a circle hook ever has is that it won't hang up as easily if you're fishing right in a bunch of snags.

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Type in KAHLE And KHALE in "Search"at the top.We spell it both ways on here.Eagle Claw spells it Kahle and said it is pronounced Kay-Lee.There is a lot of info.on them.I use the #8 on bream and #2 up for larger fish.Luck,peewee-williams

9. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    I have used them this Spring for the first time and had excellent results on hookups. I usually set the hook myself cuz I am that kinda guy....however, I have had a few hook themselves also..the key is as with any hook...KEEP THEM SHARP!:big_smile:

10. FishinChris

FishinChris New Member

State:
    Texas
    I started using kahle hooks last year myself, I like to cross their eyes on the hookset , and my hookups have improved 100% 6/0 kahle lazer sharp works great for me, but I am sure there are guys on here that use a lot bigger hook than that.

11. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    I have been using 3/0-7/0 Eagle Claw Kahles depending on the bait and type cat I am fishing for....but usually use the 6/0 myself...I have caught some small cats on even that size hook:embarassed: so larger is not out of the question by any means...LOL

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I had been through a fish hooking slump and I found that if i dont try to rip er lips off and use a slow pull I hook up better