All you hockey fans

Discussion in 'NHL Talk' started by coltsfan, Oct 4, 2006.

1. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    we got into this question on another thread and would like to here your comments.why is fighting in hockey seem to be ok but in any other sport it is an outrage, fines ,suspensions etc etc but in hockey you go to the penalty box for a couple of minutes.hockey is no different than any other team sport.just wondering what you thought.

2. skunkedagain

skunkedagain New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I thinkthe same thing,but in hockey they get paid to fight

3. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Ill try and take this question...
    Hockey preceeded baseball and basketball... it is an old sport Because it came from cold climates of the world, canada, the northern US back when there was little else to do all winter, and the folks who lived in these places were real diehards- lumberjacks, miners, trappers, traders, and thieves... there was a duality in the people- both machismo and dependance on those around you that you really didnt see as much in the south- ( it never gets -35 degrees there, let alone colder). You love those who help you survive and everyone else is an outsider. The sport came from those types of people. people who had to drive horse teams in knee-deep mud in the spring and fall and frozen misery in the winter and black fly ridden conditions in the summer... harsh climate- harsh people.

It is so diehard to its tough man origins that until the late 80s players were not even required to wear helmets! (the old players grandfathered-in to the rule change still were going helmetless until 1990) Heck... Not even the goalies were wearing helmets into the 60s! And yet the same piece of hardened rubber, deep frozen to -30 is still whacked around at around 100 mph as it always has... or in the rare cases like a young Brett Hull, 130 mph wasnt uncommon.

This is a game of skill and finesse, yes... but its roots are in rough-and-tumble conditions, and its nature really demands a lot of physical pain management. That ice is not a soft landing spot. The boards are surely not padded either. Body checks are the way you soften the other team... so Hockey is naturally a sport that demands a larger amount of physical contact than even football. Old players used to regulate the younger generations by beating the tar outta them if they had a wild slapshot or wrister that got someone in the head. There was a danger there of hurting a man who didnt have a helmet on! If the rules of fairness or decency are broken you used to clean the young rookie's clock until he learned. Eventually the new kid learned to keep his puck down or risk an arse-whoopin.

In the late 70s and surely the 80s another type of person emerged- the defensemen brought in just for fighting and little else. Players like Bob Probert who racked up ridiculous record amounts of penalty minutes just to intimidate and with little reason beyond the fact tht their team was behind or the previous play made the team look bad. Probert would fight just for the sake of fighting. (Now we know that cocaine was the reason for it)

So the fight now, which really is pretty rare in the whole of a typical NHL game, is a throwback to those times. Sometimes fights happen that change the sport or the public's perception- like the fights between rival teams- Colorado and Detroit or Nashville and Detroit or Boston and everyone else..... :smile2: there are specific rivalries that form and in these games the level of emotion runs high. Maybe a check will be a split-second late and the guy who got pommeled takes it personal. Next thing you know, he is exacting his revenge later in the game and fists and tempers run high.

It is a natural part of a very demanding game... and I cant wait till tomorrow night for game 1 of the 06-07 season. GO RED WINGS!

4. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    nice long answer but ,that was then this is now.times change.you can check somebody into the boards as hard as you want but is there really a need to throw the gloves off and start fistfighting.if two guys are in front of a bar or out in the parking lot at a store and they are punching each other ,the cops will be called and they will go to jail so my question again why is it allright to fight in a hockey game?

5. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Because they can. The crowd loves it and that brings in money. Hockey has low viewer ratings in part because of the fighting. I have been to hockey games and TV does not show how fast the sport is.
    Bill

6. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    It is at its base, a traditional means of acting on the ice.

Wether a fella agrees or likes it or hates it I suppose matters less than the tradition.

In the future, I guess they will try to eliminate it if the plans go ahead like they have been. We will see.

7. knapperheadmatt

knapperheadmatt New Member

State:
    texas
  8. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    so why dont they fight in the olympics.just clean hard hockey

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Lets be real!!! Hockey is not a sport its a business:eek:oooh: Fights sell,the enforcer is as old as hockey itself and lets face it hockey players have a dangerous weapon in their hands at all times.Much more preferable to drop the gloves and duke it out than it would be to have them fighting with the sticks.Hockey is also very fast and an average shift might be 120 seconds at the start of the game down to far less than that at the end.It will also get under your skin if some guy has been asigned to you just to keep hammering you into the boards etc etc .Eventually you get pissed and start a fight etc.Again far better to fists than sticks.Olympic and other non professional hockey doesn't have to sell tickets to exist so the enforcement and penalties are much more harsh although fighting has also pervaded College hockey to a certain extent.:wink:

10. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    i go to about two ohio state hockey games a year and have never seen a fight ,they might get in each others faces but thats about it.

11. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    And one other thing for those of you reading who never see hockey...

The vast majority of players arent fighters. Good players exist that have never thrown a fist. Heck Steve Yzerman in 22 years had only been in one fight that I know of and that is because the guy was throwing fists first.

Wayne Gretsky was not specifically one to fight.

Pavel Datsyuk isnt a fighter... but he is a fantastic player.

A hockey game doesnt necessitate a fight any more than a boxing match necessitates a hockey game.
    BUT players who do fight tend to have a bigger following by the local fans... so there is a juxtaposition there to be dealt with.

It is just a group of defensemen brought on as enforcers or those who allow their emotions to run so high as to retaliate with fists when they lack the matching skill of their opponent, or those who, like Henrik Zetterburg or Kris Draper who sit in front of the goal and specifically ask for trouble. Eventually they frustrate the other guy into giving them what they want- a power play or their team.

A good fight takes the steam out of the crowd or puts the steam back in them. Sometimes it is worth the penalty to wake up your arena!

12. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    all i'm saying is that the other 3 major team sports are not allowed to fight and get punished heavily for doing it.but hockey is different.you go to a boxing match to watch people fight that is different.i agree there are great players that just want to play for the win and not fight etc.etc.not trying to get anybody riled up.but with the way society is now and kids watching more than ever with espn and all.why not just a clean hard game without fighting.it should be about the game not fighting .lol

13. eggman

eggman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    cmon guys, they let em fight cause if they didn't no one would be watching. Hello???? Hockey is BORING, kinda like watchin paint dry! Right up there with Soccer in my opinion. Heck they went on strike for a year or two and I never realized they were gone...

egg

14. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Kevin, I guess it comes down to two separate views of what one game ought to be.

Eggman... grrr! lol

Im a huge fan of the game. I missed it. and Ive never seen a point to NASCAR.. but I dont complain to them guys who support competitve left turns. heh heh

To each their own I guess is the moral of the post. :big_smile: :wink:

15. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    sal i understand that diehard hockey fans love the game and to them that fighting is part of the game.as far as i'm concerned keep it that way it really dont matter to me.i was just wondering what the diehards opinion was on the subject,all i could ever get out of my friends was that i'ts tradition.i just dont understand why people get so outraged when two football players are going at it.they hit each other every play and all kinds of dirty stuff happens but you hardly ever see them fight .i'll admit i like to watch the hockey highlights to see the fights.just think it's kinda weird that it's ok in hockey but not in the other sports

16. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    Boy has this opened a can of worms! Lol, this is a common question that has no simple answer to it. I love hockey and believe it or not fighting stats are down much lower than what they use to be. Today's NHL is faster and more skilled, players have to be much more than fighters in now, in fact most players don't fight. There are maybe only about 1 or 2 guys per team that you might see fight.

Fighting has always been part of hockey, unlike baseball, football, and basketball. That is why people say it's tradition, like it or not it's part of the game. A hockey fight is always one on one. If 2 players are already fighting and a third player jumps in he will penalized and probably suspended. If one player is badly beating his opponent in a fight usually he will stop the fight or the linesman will step in and break up the fight. Hockey rarely has brawls, if a hockey player leaves the bench during a fight he will be suspended and fined by the NHL. Baseball has brawls, basketball has brawls, those leagues are unable to control fighting like the NHL can.

I love the game of hockey for many reasons other than fighting but I love watching a good hockey fight too. To me it is just part of the game. I know that some people watch hockey just to see fights just like some people watch NASCAR just to see crashes. I'm ok with that but to me it is sad that some people always associate hockey with fighting.

The reason you rarely see fighting in College is because all of the players have full face protection (cage or full visor). The same reason you don't see NFL players throw punches because there is a face mask in the way.

It is also common after a hockey fight to see the 2 players pat each other on the helmet or shoulder and say good fight. They have a mutual understanding of the role as a fighter. A lot of times fights happen to change the momentum of a game, to fire up a team, it brings emotion in to the game. It is not uncommon to hear about 2 hockey players who just fought that same night have a friendly conversation together after the game or to even hang out. It is a mutual understanding of a role in the sport.

I hope this makes sense to most people, I kind of carried away in what I was trying to say.

17. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I like a good Hockey fight! It is a high speed game played with intensity and tempers flare! I don't want to see the skill players duking it out but to see the heavyweights squareoff once in awhile is cool!

18. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    As Rodney Dangerfield once said "I went to a heavy weight championship fight the other night and a Hockey Game broke out":big_smile: :lol: :eek:oooh: The season started last night and my team got beat right out of the box.Hell of a note for the defending Stanley Cup Champions.Fittingly they lost to the team they beat in game 7 of the finals in a shootout.Love those shootouts.:smile2:

19. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I watch the Sabers and Avalanch game last night and it ened in a shoot out. I also saw a ref stop a fight before it started. Hockey is a game of skill and endurance. Yes fights do break out but look at racing, basket ball, (players in the stands hitting fans), football (head kicking) and on and on.
    Bill

20. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    yes but in those sports they get thrown out and suspended along with a fine.hockey is different for some reason