All tied up

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by kat in the hat, Dec 22, 2006.

1. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    For about 3 or 4 years I've been using the polomar knot for practically all my fishing knots, and must say my line never breaks at the knot. I read somewhere that this is the toughest knot there is, so I tried it and got hooked on it. I can tie it in the dark, or with cold fingers and so on. What knots do y'all use. If someone wants to know how to tie this knot I can show you, but it's probably already on here somewhere. Sometimes, if I need a breakaway line for my weight, like fishing rip rap, I will tie the weight on with an albright knot, but other than that, it's palomar all the way.

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Palomar and Uni-Knott are my mainstays!!! I just tie a looped half hitch for drop lines, for sacrificial weights. I snell all my hooks as well.

3. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I use the polomar 99.9 percent of the time in my fishing adventures.

4. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    i'm palomar all the way. depending on the hook-size and line thickness it can be a little difficult to tie at times, but once you master it, it becomes easy and reliable.

5. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I'd say the uni is my first out of my hand ... 6 inches of line 2 and 4 lb is a "you know what" .... any thing over that size is automatic.... {always wet it down for the slide to tightness) .If I need the strength.... then its the palomar on a $20 lure or swivel connection.

bayrunner ray

6. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    Grinner knot, which I think is the same as your uni-knot. Seems to work for just about everything. With braid it's twice through the eye and a flat-knot on the tag-end to eliminate any chance of slippage under load. I read somewhere that the ginner/uni knot retains over 99% of the original line strength and that's good enough for me!

7. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    Forgot to add! A lot of you recommend the palomar knot. How do you tie that? And would it work with, say, 150lb power-pro or is it a mono knot?

Apologies for continually asking dumb questions!

8. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Works for both Spanishcatman. And I must that is a wild looking cat you got there in your picture! Did you catch that on a rod and reel?

9. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the knot advice coolarrow. And yes the cat was caught on rod and reel - ugly-stick rod, abu 10,000 reel, 150lb power-pro and maruto eaglewave 8/0 hook. Two of us had about ten of 'em that day and my back was complaining by the end! Barely had the strength left to trailer the boat...

10. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I use a Trilene knot.

11. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Here is instructions on how to tie a palomar knot for those interested. I know alot of you already use it, but for those who don't, it's a real easy and strong knot. I've never seen one fail.http://www.fish4fun.com/palomarknot.htm