All Star Rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by field989, Jul 10, 2006.

1. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    are these rods any good...

all i see people using on tv is all star rods....

are these worth the $$$

i seen this one guy fishing off shore in the gulf and he had a all star rod and it was bent at a 90 deg. angle

just curious

thanks
    Jeff

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

All star rods are great for bass and red fishing. I wouldn't advise them for heavy catfishing unless thry have one for that. I will admit I have two All Star rods and a Diawa all with Abu 4500's and one 5000 for bass fishing and I love em for that.

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I like them. Been using them for around 20 years.
    And will be replacing a few rods with New All-Stars this year.
    Now I drift fish and need a light rod that can handle the current and a big fish. but still allow me to feel the 2 oz+ sinker as soon as it bumps into bottom.
    There great rods for my kind of fishing I control the drift with a trolling motor and love them for that.
    Now if your only anchor fishing there over kill for that. but if you hold the rod and looking to feel even a light bite there the rod for that.

I can and do feel a fish pick up the bait in 50+ ft of water and start up with the bait. A lot of other rods you only find out after the line goes slack. and try to catch up with a fish that has picked the bait up. And is swimming toward the top . Its hard to do..

Pete

4. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I fish the exact same way you do Pete. Drifting bumping bottom. I use All Star flipping sticks with Abu 6500's. The weight and sensitivity of the rod is everything in this type of fishing. A heavy glass rod will wear you out plus you can't feel the bottom near as well. The fish on my avatar was 31-1/2 lbs.caught on a 7-1/2' Allstar flipping rod in heavy current 60 plus feet deep Tennessee River.
    Allstar is also guaranteed for life. My local dealer charges $15 for shipping and exchanges rods over the counter. I have broken 2 Allstars but it was my fault both times.

whatever it takes

Cheez

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I hear they have good surf rods, never used one myself though.

6. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    All in all I'd recommend them for the same reasons Pete and Cheez do, they are great for bottom bumping in deep water, especially for holding constantly.

I broke my first one a week after I got it. Was replaced free from the dealer. My wife broke the replacement 6 years later setting the hook on a small cat. From where it broke, must have been damaged beforehand by me or one of my buffoon friends. It broke at the 1st guide below the eye. I simply added a stainless steel tip and now have a 6'2" stiffy that has done me well.