All Right The Big One That Got Away

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by timbo, Jul 16, 2006.

1. timbo

timbo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    :big_smile: ABOUGHT HOW BIG WAS THE CAT THAT GOT AWAY,,YOU KNOW WITH OUT TELLING A BIG ((-- -- --)),,,, FOR ME I WAS AT A PLACE CALLED (NEUSE RIVER) NEAR THE MOUTH,,ME AND MY WIFE WERE IN MY 13 FT BOAT WITH A 9.9 AND WE WERE FISHING WITH SOFT SHELL CRABS AND WE WERE CATCHING ROCK HAD (5)KEEPERS AND,,,, I HUNG ON TO A CAT AND HAD A GREAT FIGHT AND MY WIFE TOLD ME IT CAN"T FIT IN THE NET SO I GRABED THE LINE AND IT RUBED UP ON THE SIDE OF THE BOAT AND GUESS WHAT IT WAS HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!! IT LOOKED TO BE ABOUT 40LB TO 60LB MAYBE BIGER ,,, AND GOT NO MORE HITS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BAD DAY!!!!!!!!!TIMBO

2. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Bad you lost the fish yes! But, at least you saw the fish up close and learned a valuable lesson as well!
    Congrats on getting it to the boat!

3. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Doesnt that just make you sick when stuff like that happens:angry_2:

4. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Doesnt that just make you sick when stuff like that happens:angry_2:

5. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    can't be that bad of a day you got the fish up to the boat and got to see it.

6. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Which one? :embarassed: :sad2:

I've lost 3 fish that seem to have been my personal best. :sad2: One on the Great Miami River, hook came untied 10 feet from the bank, one on Paint Creek, snapped line on an old log, one on the Scioto River due to a bad hook tie. Yes I have paid the price, but finally think I'm getting better about it.

7. caymancat

caymancat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    one time i was fishing in a friends farm pond with night crawlers and a small pole and out of nowhere the bobber just started quickly swimming to the left. As soon as it went under water i set my hook and started fighting. I got the cat to swim towards me finally and got him to the rocky bank edge. It was prolly a 12-14 pound channel cat and as I walked toward him I noticed he had spit the hook and as I tried to grab him,he briskly swam off....lost some sleep that night lol

8. Bullseye017

Bullseye017 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    one time me and my friend were catfishing at a small farm pond with a lot of 5-10 pound channels in it and I hooked a monster on a bluegill. The fish never stopped ripping out my drag until it went under a log or something and broke my line(it was 8lb test on an ultralight)

9. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    The biggest fish we never caught was on a bank pole. My best friend and I set out 15 bank poles one night on Spoon River back in Illinois. The poles were made up with two #7 cambian steel hooks and a railroad spike for weight on 160lb. green net repair braid line. We set the poles out and baited them about dusk. One in particular was set in a 20ft. tall, straight up and down, clay bank in about 20ft. of swift water.
    Just as the bend in the river started to straighten out. We decided to check the lines after about an hour and a half for shakers and re bait. We just got started and here comes a thunder storm. My oh my did it rain. Two days later, after the river went back down, we went to pick up any poles that were left. There were several nice channels on the first 6 lines we found. Coming to the big clay bank I told Keith that pole would be gone...wrong, there it was perfect. Keith grabbed the line and started pulling. He said man we ought to cut this..it must be tangled in a ton of brush. He gave a couple more pulls and the biggest catfish head
    I've ever seen just broke the water surface. Keith threw the line down and said we need some help, we'll never get this fish in the boat. We just stood there and watched as the line began to slowly straighten out. The Willow bank pole began to bend, Keith and I both grabbed it and held on tight. The boat pulled away from the bank, but the anchor held. All of a sudden, thud,
    the line must have broken..we pulled it in and everything was there. The bottom hook had straightened out...a steel hook looked like a fork handle. I'll never forget how that monster never got excited at any point, he just swam away. True Story!:shame: :nosebleed: :beated: :ah:
    Don

10. live22skate

live22skate New Member

State:
    Arizona
    aww. too bad he got away, sounded like a good fish

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am sorry, u lost the big one, that most likely would have been the catch of ur life.

12. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Wow that sucks, I think its worse for me when I get the fish up to the bank or the boat and the line pops. The biggest fish I had up to a boat that I lost was a 35-40lb drum. I thought I had him tired out, brought him up to the boat, my father in law attempted to net it but missed it. My drag was set tighter because I thought it was tired out, boy was I wrong. As soon as the net attempt was missed, he shot down under the boat. Before I could even let the drag back out my line popped, that fish was a bull though and a fun battle. But I would of rather got it in the boat and taken a pic of it.

13. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    I was fishing in a 25 foot deep hole in the cape fear river with about a 10 inch live shiner ona penn#9 reel 70lb braid and a stainless steel hook.

I had the bait clicker on.

the clicker started screaming

I engaged the reel and set the hook

the fish started pulling drag, I couldn't turn it.

I said shoot, this is 70lb line, I'll apply a little thumb pressure on it trying to turnthe fish.

I put more and more pressure, then the line went light.
    I reeled in my whole rig, hook and all,
    the hook wasn't straight, I guess I just pulled too hard and it came free.

lesson learned.

not sure what it was, could have been a monster cat or a striper, or a gator I guess.

14. channelcathunter64

channelcathunter64 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    at least u got to see it but still heartbreaking none the less