All of them Things ya need to be thinkin bout!

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by catfish kenny, Dec 15, 2008.

1. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I am slugging some coffee and thinking about reel purchassing ...& I am looking all the way back to the dayz when I was a wee lass snagging with a ole zebco 202-or 404-808... how we have changed our ways -techniquecs and way of fishing.....some technowledgey has realy changed the fishin world .....shoo wee where do we go from here???
    Your equiptment says alot about your derermanation and level of fishing....from beginner to tourney fisher .& inbetween.....every hook & line man /women out there ........ your fun relies on your equiptment....I think your equiptment even reflects yer time on the water ..you spend lot time yer gonna be using some top notch-maybe not my top noch but defitley top noch gear your serious and love will be shining thru:wink:
    your hobby and love has a way about them $$spent (LOL)how ya do it is up to you .......
    when choosin that reel you have them chioces ...thru time I have learned to just spend a little extra-save for it ...do yer homework Get what ya want ...shop round ...find the deal but dont mess round and now the chioces are bout endless.Setting up yer equiptment to suit your needs is very important to & can be lill costly....always figure them in to ....very important!
    Do ya use spinn or bait cast reels! Those who have never tried to learn a good baitcaster fer cattin needs to ratt one up till they can regardless...and dont think them spinners dont self destruct once in awhile thats why they come with 2 pools fer the quick change....(LOL)
    The ole saying a fool & his money shall soon part does not apply here when you've decided its time to stop messin round... and go fer the gold!
    So what kind of reel am I buyin.....MMMMMMM alot af great chioces fer all levels...I am cattin it must be strong and true....okinuma-sahkesphere-penn-abu garcia....etc......etc...whats the best yer money is gonna buy....mine is gonna be spent on ?????(LOL) (see personal want list LOL)The possibilities are endless but the tru test comes when that lines in the water:wink:It's all them Things ya need to be thinkin bout!(LOL)

2. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    good post Brother Kenny but if i know you like i think i do you may shop for a better price but in the end it will be a Penn in your hand:wink:

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    100% Abu Garcia here. Preferably 6500 series reels.

Bill in SC

4. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Dallis dont rule out Abu or shakesphere they have some smooth rides too:wink: & I own and use both(LOL)love them too....there is alot of really good chioces out there fer every need.....(LOL).... but yeah I am wanting to send this old 209 in and buy a couple 320gti penns...fer me and mama....sort of(LOL):eek:oooh::big_smile::cool2:...
    And thats another thing over time I think you develope a likining for a certian style/brand of reel for what ever reasons & casting & durrabilitey come to mind fer a couple....I have owned Diawas zebcos shakesphere penn & Abu's plus ?? know some others and there is definatly a class and caliber issue when yer fishin to(LOL)....as we get older buy the Caddey or mustang:wink: OH YEAH (LOL)

5. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i agree kenny there is more than one good reel brand BILL ! lol i have had abu myself but i like uthers just as well well to be onest i like some uthers better i have penn okuma michle shakspear shamono johnson and some uthers i like theam all but my fave so far is a toss up between the penn open face and the okuma open face now im wanting to try a pfluger bait caster i like a mixed bag so to speek im not dead set on one reel i like variaty but i guess thats the colector in me :wink:

6. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    you got it all rite kenny.i have penns all the way from 209s to 12/0s and they will land any thang in fresh or salt water but last year i got a chance to trade a rem.shot gun for 2 abu 7000s.i traded for one reason i wanted to try a faster reel than what i had.i fish the arkansas, river from the bank,and when i missed a fish or just reeled in my line to change spots i was losing 80%of my weights and sinkers cause the penns with 2.0 to 2.8 gear ratios were so slow i couldnt keep my weights off bottom.with these new abus i still lose 50 % of my rigs but thats better than 80%.am i gonna give up my penns heck no but theres a place for all reels.

7. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    ...I am cattin it must be strong and true....okinuma-sahkesphere-penn-abu

He's startin' to rhyme,, and,, I LIKE it...:smile2:
    I agree with ya, Kenny... If you get good stuff, it just makes fishin' a bit better....

8. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Could it be.....a closet RAPPER?????:smile2:

9. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with Poisonpits comments. The only fishing I do is from the bank in the Mississippi. When I started, the reels I used were Penn Squidders, which to this day are high on my list of all time favorites, but the slow retrieve was killing me. I ended up selling them and now use an Abu 6500cs Pro Rocket and 7000iCS Pro Rocket. I also have a 6500c3 as well as 2 Okuma Pro Classic casting reels, which are excellent reels for the price. I only fish with 2 rods at a time and the Pro Rockets usually get the nod. Penn and Abu both make excellent equipment,it just depends on the type fishing you do. If I fished out of a boat, the Penn's would probably be my choice. Casting 12' rods from the bank, the Abu's for the distance. Good luck.

10. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I also bank fish most of the time and use Penn 200 surfmasters. They are a little smaller than the squider. I have oversized handels on them so I can get alot of line in pretty quick. I have heard and seen too many Abu's that got blown up from hard runs. I personally think that the Penn's have a better drag system and you can wench the drag down pretty dang tight.

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Most folks whom I have seen use the extra spools for spinning reels,used them to have a spare spool of line and a variety of lines to fit a reel.The reasons are that spinning reel spools are normally quick and easy to change and most open faced spinning reels will handle a wide variety of lines.I have bought and carried as many as 6 spools to fit a single reel.there were 5 different lines on these 6 spools.Once a reel destructs,I have never been able to use the spool on it without reel repair.They are also great to customize or set a drag and have it immediately available and ready.I us to cut and make some of my reel drags out of asbestos,felt,teflon carbon and various other gasket scraps.

I fished for frying size while whole fish everywhere with the exception of a few stewing size 5 lb.max.size Cats and a few saltwater fish in the 30 to possible 100 lb.range which are little fish in the Ocean.

Only the Trophy Catfish fishermen need the bigger bait casters and up reels as a rule.A few "normal" cat fishermen need the ability to handle heavy weights and Small cats against strong currents.99% of the people that I remember seeing fishing for Catfish in my 63 years were fishing for these small Catfish.Most of the reels talked about on here are discussed by the very few percentage wise who catch a big cat every now and then and the many more 'wannabees".I would love to see the hours spent fishing for by the number of Catfish caught in the 20,30,40,50,60,70,80 90 and 100 lb.range.A tremendous number of people fish for smaller Catfish.In relation,very few fish for big cats.Us little Cat folks are in the vast majority!Each buys the appropriate tackle "IF" they can afford it.Many more fish with what they can afford.This is why I do not like folk who make fun of or ridicule another's tackle.It may be the very best that they can do.

Now.Folk who can afford the gear of their choice and only use one reel type or brand are either very narrow in their fishing variety or mind in my belief.I have known quite a few folk who have made the claim of "such and such is the best reel in the world.I have never used anything else".They have just told the world that they are a moron in my belief.How would they know having never tried another.Others have said"I have tried them all,I know".I have as yet to get one of these to name "ALL" of the different makes of reels.Another Moron in my book.I am not talking about the ones who have tried a few and settled on the one they like or the ones who found the very first one met their needs.I am talking about the folks who talk what ever they have up as the best and everything else as trash.

The best reel is what pleases you in my belief.Sometimes the lack of reels is better.I have never had as much fun with a reel as I have had as a kid and with kids and a cane pole.I know where you are coming from guys,but lest not forget that that reel is just a machine.The user makes it what it is or is not.Thats YOU!

I have seen a old man offshore with a old junk boat and motor,a hand carved reel,a Coke bottle and a Coffee can out fish the best that there was that day who had several million dollars worth of boats and gear totaled.Just one of the boats and gear was worth more than a million!

And yes,I get to laughing evey time I think of the record all line USA caught 123 lb.9 oz.Flathead Catfish was caught on a Zebco 33 and 12 lb.test line!

It is great to know that you can PROPERLY fish for world class Catfish with a under $20.00 reel!What is really amazing to me is.I have never heard of a Zebco 33 being able to handle a 10 lb.Bow-Fin though many thousand that size have been hung by them over the years.

I strongly suspect that the Catfish was Gravid and unable to fight.

12. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Touche, Peewee. I'm over-gunned for the fish I catch most days, but every so often, it's just right.:big_smile:

13. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    Kenny, I think about that stuff all the time.... What's my next reel going to be... I keep coming back to Squidders, but that's just me. Just got one for 36.00 delivered off of Ebay. Love those reels, and if you put a larger handle on them, the return ratio is easier to deal with..

And if you were once a young "lass" years ago, you have changed a lot since then!!:big_smile:

14. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i fish with what feel comfortable and is in the budget, i use a shimano 4500 baitrunner that works for me. infact i should be gettin another one next thursday if the wife read my wish list:wink:

15. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I tell ya the chioces out there are nuff to stress a man out...:eek:oooh:...go with the flow follow yer heart and roll.....it don matter whats dion it for me if yer dion it fer you:big_smile: I aint sayin yers is better I am sayin this is what I like and I aint bove tryin yours too:eek:oooh:I am a conisuer of gettin jiggey(LOL) shoot gonna get out there one way or the other-Id fish with a stick & string -bone hook if thats all I got....but we gotta go:big_smile: ....Oh yea I am feelin the fire fer next run OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!:roll_eyes:

16. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    I tried baitcasters, but I just dont think they were for me. I like my spinning reels. I use my Whuppin Stix m/l to catch my bait. I got a couple of King Cat Combos from Cabelas that are very productive and very in-expensive. But I also got me an Okuma EB-80 on a 10 foot Tiger rod with 25# Suffix clear. I hope I get to stress this combo out this spring/summer on some blues and/or flats.

17. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I moved from spinners to baits cause spinns wernt fer me......being different is GOOD!:eek:oooh: