All fisherman Psychology question?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by CATFISHERMAN001, Mar 4, 2008.

1. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    why is it that when you are on the bank fishing you throw you line out towards the center as far you can but when you are in the boat you throw towards the bank?

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    LOL, I have heard this questions before.....

This may get good..

3. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Seems it's human nature. I don't know, I've wondered that myself.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I don't have the answer but I have watched this in tournament fishing for years. I have watched many verbal fights over boat fisherman wanting to fish next to the bank. So close that the bank fisherman had no room left to cast out. :crazy::crazy:

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I have always thought of my boat as a means of access to more river bank. The shore fisherman is not at a disadvantage because the fishing is better from a boat, it's because there is always a limited amount of shore access. Having a boat allows you to get to more spots. I do 90% of my fishing within casting distance of the shore whether I'm on the shore or in the boat...W

6. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    here is my take on it. before i fish a bank spot i always spook fish and where do theytend to go, out into deeper water. so thats where i cast. i also like to fish parallel to the bank, about 4 feet out from it. i will usually catch fish between 6 inches to 6 feet from the bank.

7. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Here in PA we can use 2 rods. I cast one deep and one shallow. I think its ingrained thru childhood you gotta go deep to get away from the bait stealing bluegills while being blind to the fact that the fish we're after are coming shallow to eat the bait stealers.

8. Matt77

Matt77 New Member

State:
    from Us NY live in Cnt FL
    Well, 1st off thats a good one. I have thought about that many times when I have been sitting out night fishing. I'm limited to bank fishing. When I'm cat fishing I try to reach the deeper water. So I cast out far. But when I'm bass fishing I usually cast parallel to the shore because I know thats where the bass are.

9. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I almost never throw in the middle.I throw about 5 feet from the bank and be quiet and still.This is mainly because I fish at night.When I fish in the day I will move out into deeper water.Boat fishing I am usually pretty far from the bank.

10. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    The guy fishin on the bank is casting out and then slow realin back to sneak the bait up on the fish.

The guy in the boat casting to the bank is trying to knock the fish in the head :smile2:

11. Pfunk

Pfunk New Member

State:
    Lake Fork - Texas
    When you are fishing that shallow, fish can pick up on your presense by noise, site or vibration. So its our instinct to cast away from our domain.

IF we are in a boat, than we feel better about casting close to shore. If we are on the shore, than we cast out deeper, because more than likely the fish closer to us have picked up on our presense.

Plus in a boat, you can cover more shore without disturbing its surroundings. If you were on foot, walking, talking, or any type of movement will most likley be noticed by anything that close, so we naturally look to fish deeper, and further away from where we stand. This is why i stress to people to lay off the trolling motors. Its best to use the wind and drift down a shore, than to drive urself up and down a shore. If you get a good wind, u can fish an entire cove in total stealth mode.

This might not be absolute in all cases, but it sounds good lol

12. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Grass is always... always greener on the other side of the river or boat or fence...LOL

13. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Honestly i bass fished alot more than i ever catted with a rod. When i wanted cats i trotlined only for the meat. As far as bass fishin goes, i like to be able to work a bait OFF the ledges rather than try to get it up them. I still like to bass fish but the flathead i caught gig fishin for bass last year kinda threw me off track. It went close to 20lb. and on bass tackle was quite an experience.

14. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I thought it was so the boaters could show off there boats. :cool2:

15. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Actually i beat the bank in case my old tub sinks, i won't have to swim so far.:smile2:

16. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Got to love this Question and the answers.

17. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    I cast as far as I can from the bank because it's darn near impossible to cast my 11 ft rod off a boat...:big_smile_2:

18. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio

James, the answer to your question is quite simply answered by another question. Why are the fish jumping in the middle of the river when you are on the bank and near the shore when you are in a boat?:canny:

19. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    i guess that from the bank, that is the direction to the water, from a boat, that is the direction to the fish.::big_smile: Just human nature, I fish shallow sometimes from the bank and deep sometimes from a boat. I do seem to fish father out when bank fishing though. I think that has to do with my access to bank spots.

Jim

20. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    When I'm on the bank I just like to see how far I can cast:smile2: