All around hand gun

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by Creteus, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Don't know if this is the right place to ask but I'll ask anyways. I'm in the market for a new hand gun and wold like to hear everyones opinon on whats the best all around hand gun. i have a MAC 11, but thats not something you want to carry around. Looking into a 45. So whats the best BOC.

Thanks

Matt

2. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Gotta narrow it down a little,Bud.Best for what?
    Protection,CCW,home,plinking,car,stopping power,cost ,concealability,reliability,revolver,sem-auto,recoil,ease of use,weight,etc....
    Sorry,not being a smart azz but there is no "BEST",just the right gun for the job you need it for.

3. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    I hear you cook. Not looking for anything specific. Just a gun to have. Don't want a revolver. Not enough capacity for me. Used to have a glock 10. It shot the 10 mm rounds. But I really wasn't satisfied with it either. The mac 11 I have holds 32 9 mm rounds and having a trigger key its empty in 2 seconds. That ones just a show off gun. I don't know man. I'm really just looking for a good auto that dosen't jam up and carries a good punch. It really will have no purpose other than occasional target practice.

Matt

4. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    im more into the big revolvers and big single shot handguns like the 454 casull and the 45/70....id recommend looking at the ruger red hawk line but since you said you dont want a revolver that wont do ya any good lol.
    the only auto i have is an STI .45 its real comfortable to carry and shoot but it dont have that large clip capcity you want.id reccomend going to some of your local gun shops and just checking a few out.find out whats you like and what you can afford.im sure thie ri ssomthing out thier for ya.good luck

5. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i think i know the exact gun ur looking for it is the springfield xd in 45sig 15rd clip great knock down power sleack enough to hide in a pair of jeans and a regular shirt. and it is one of the guns me and my comrads in iraq carried

or the rock island 45 thats what most spec ops guys r taking over i think it is a 10 rd clip

i hoped this helps

DUSTY

U.S.M.C.ALUMNI
    COURAGE = DOING THE RIGHT THING WHEN NO ONE IS LOOKING

6. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Creteus I carry a Glock 30 in 45acp.It goes bang first time every time and has a 10 round mag and if the fight ain't over by then 100 rounds ain't gona help you.

7. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    If i ever by another handgun it will be a 40 cal. They are sweet shootin.

The handgun i have is a pt92af taurus 9mm. I've shot more rounds than i can even remember and not once has it ever jammed on me.

8. hookeye

hookeye New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    A lot depends on your personal comfort and the size of your pocket book. There are a great many fine autos available today that are very reliable. If you have one that jams frequently it is usually not a difficult fix, most gunsmiths can remedy that problem for little to nothing in cost. Anyway, here are just a few suggestions;

Kimber offers a very nice line of 45ACP choices or 40S&W---$$$$ expensive
    Springfield offers the extreme -duty in 9mm-.49S&W-.357Sig, as well as the 1911-A1 in std or lightweight,45ACP or 9mm.
    Para-Ordinance P-models come in 9mm,45ACP,and 40S&W
    Glocks are very reliable and rugged,takes getting used to, but, you either like em or you don't!
    Sig has a good selection in 9mm,.357sig,and 40S&W.

Anyway,it all boils down to just a matter of personal preference,intended use,and the size of your bankroll.
    GOOD LUCK!, with your choice, have fun,and above all BE SAFE!

9. capt.kirk

capt.kirk Guest

that question will still come down to what you want it for,i carry a .380
    and keep a 44 in the night stand next to the bed,i hope no one ever breaks
    into the house,but if it happens,there will only be 1 story told when the
    police arrive,let me say again i hope it never comes to that,there is enough
    killing in the world now.
    KIRK :cool:

10. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Creteus-sounds like you want a hi-cap semi for target shooting-that sound about right?

Hard to beat a lot of the 9mm out,ammo is rather inexpensive and a wide variety out there.
    I can take my SKS out and shoot all day for 10 bucks,and still move my arm the next day.

My .300 wm cost me 1.50 every time it goes bang-and about 5 shots is all I can handle.

11. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Matt I carry a Sig sub compact 45 and keep a 41 mag my the bed. I do this because if I have to shoot you I want to stop you right there.

12. THE FISH WHISPER'ER

THE FISH WHISPER'ER New Member

State:
    waynesville ,IL
    if you want one that will never jam with hi-cap mags go with the berreta m-9 cheep to shootalso it is kinda big framed & heavy when loaded though,pesonly when i feel the need to carry i pack a kimber .45 that is my sweethart butt i own both and love them they are a little pricey but as good as they get in my opinon

13. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    For concealed carry, I like my Glock model 26, 9MM.

Everyone has their favorite, I chose Glock for reliability and the 26 is small, specially made for carry. Also it's a snap to install a Laser sight that looks factory installed.

14. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Think I may have to go with the 9 mm. Main reason is the ammo is cheap for full metal jackets. As for the Kimber its way out of my price range. $1100.00 for a hand gun is to much. I still would like to get a 45 just to say I have one.

Matt

15. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    i have a ccw permit and i carry a springfield 1911,its the v-10 model with the ported barrel and i like it alot.Most of the time i carry a Glock 23 in .40 cal , its very accurate and reliable,in my opinion you cant beat a glock.If your going with a 9mm try the ruger P-95,ive have never had any trouble out of it and it is the most accurate out of all my pistols.I also have an HK usp in .45 cal but its to big to carry conceled.It really all depends on what your going to use it for,if i were going to use something just for home defense it would be a shot gun rather then a pistol.But alot of it it is about personal preference.

16. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I too have a CCW, I find myself carrying my North American Arms .22 LR more than anything else! (3 inches long), but I am a big Colt & Springfield fan, so you can probally tell that I'm also a .45 fan. I would rather have the power than the high cap. I have areg Springfield 1911 A-1 that has had a little work done on it, its a sweet shooting .45, but the gun I carry if I'm out & dont have my little .22 on me is a Colt Officers Model. I am probally way rougher than what I should be on a $900 gun like this, but I guess I didnt buy it just becasue it looks pretty. Rarely if I'm catfishing I'm carrying somethign other than this, but if I am it's my Taurus .38.

Here is a pic so you can tell the size diff in a reg 1911 & an officers model. Again I havent cleaned them up or anything but it can give you a comparison of size differnce.

17. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Well a 45 just can't be beat,in my book, for self defense.
    I carry either one of 2 ruger autos or a tarus 45 ACP revolver.
    I prefer an auto to a wheel gun,but, the little 45 is small,ported and easily concealable. 5 rounds of 45 ,230 grain JHP should be enough for protection.

18. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Anothe roption could be Lamas new "slim" 45. I think they are around $240 & they feel very nice. My bro in law just bought a new Walther .380 for $390 & he really likes it. Even though I have a few autos, I perfer a revolver, for dependability.

19. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Well, I will put my thoughts on the matter in. I have a S&W 4506 and I got to shot a deer with it this year at point blank range. I can and will tell you, you don't want to ever be shoot with one. I hand load 185gr JHP with Bullseye powder. The bullet went in as a .45 and came out as about a .65. The deer expired very quickly. I love mine and I did buy it just to say I had a .45ACP. I have shoot and owner .38's, and 9mm's, but I love my .45ACP.

20. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    Creteus,

I carry a glock 19 at work and for a 9mm it is fine( some people swear by them) For off duty and personal use I have a S&W sigma .40. The 40 is fun to shoot and has alot of knock down power( if thats what your looking for). Plus my sigma is big enough for me to deeer hunt with if i wanted too. just something about shooting a deer with anything from a 4" barrel tends to scare me for some reason. Even tho i would have no problem shooting a person with the same weapon. I know alot of departments are going with sig 226's and 229's I know i can't afford one tho.

Best thing i can tell you is get what feels good in your hand as far as comfort and confidence. And always get plenty of practice. as far as ammo goes 9mm is cheap and 40cal and the 357sig ammo tends to get pricey for the really good stuff but that is more for protection than target shooting. i can buy 100 target rounds for my 40 for $16 @ wal-mart and about the same for a box of hollow points for protection but only 50 rounds in the box of hollow points. hope this helps.