All around best bait for catfishing? What do you think is the best fishing bait?

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by 13-year-old-angler, Oct 7, 2007.

1. 13-year-old-angler

13-year-old-angler New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    ive tried all sorts of baits for cats. but what is the best bait? :embarassed:

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    LOL, That Icon Smily always cracks me up.

Tough Question, and the answer depending on the person, could be long, or simple.

Give Fresh Cut-Bait a chance, you will probably be pleased with the results. :embarassed:

3. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC, Brian.
    A lot of variables in an answer to that question. Time, conditions, presentation, just to name a few.
    What has given you the best results in using all the baits you have used.?

4. 13-year-old-angler

State:
    South Carolina
    best so far night crawlers. im thinking about trying chicken livers

5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Welcome to BoC Brian. I use a crawler on one line and cut bream or bluegill on another. I always like to have one big bait out there.

6. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    i use a lot of shrimp, night crawers, hot dogs, cut bait, live bait.
    elwood:roll_eyes:

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Brian Welcome to the BOC.Fresh or cut bait is a good answer. I would pick shrimp with garlic powder next. Location, type of water,target fish and many other items figure in to the equations. Try several items then you will have favorites to talk about.

8. xposedguts

xposedguts New Member

State:
    Illinois
    yup, id have to say fresh cut bait. It gave me the most action and fastest. I catch little fish that come from the same part of the river i fish for cats, so there usta that particular cut bait.

9. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I bet my life on nightcrawlers for all fish since man figured it out!!!:embarassed:

10. 13-year-old-angler

State:
    South Carolina
    i fish mostly lakes with medium current. i dont have a boat so i fish piers and banks. ive never had luck with cutbait. SOUTH CAROLINA LAKE RUSSELL

11. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Brian welcome to the BOC, I like cut bait, but have used all the others. if it is legal to use bluegills, there, catch some and put one on the line around the dock you are fishing and give it time. There most likely is a big flattie hunting around there for food. Liver is good, just try to keep it cool it will stay fresher that way. Good lick

12. 13-year-old-angler

State:
    South Carolina
    i tried live bluegill today. but all it did was get me hung up. ive gotten a couple GOOD hits on bluegill head

13. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Brian, just remember the best bait is the one that produces fish on that particular day. Whether that bait was worms, crawdads,stink bait, cured or fresh shrimp liver etc.....It's always a good idea to have a variety of baits with you when you can. That being said the best year round bait for us is skip jack fresh or frozen. Second would be fresh caught shad fished whole live or cut. After that we use Danny Kings punch bait. If your after flatheads live perch is usually best. But also as you mentioned perch ,shad and skip jack heads have caught a lot of fish. I rarely use worms anymore unless i'm catching bait but there have probably been as many or more fish caught over the years on worms and crawdads as any other bait. So bring a variety and see what they want that particular day ten give them a heavy dose of it lol. Good luck to you, it's good to see a youngster interested in catfishing.

14. 13-year-old-angler

State:
    South Carolina
    most kids my age hate fishing. but i love it. i usually take blue back herring cut, berkley powerbait liver flavor, and night crawlers.

15. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    My #1 bait would be cut bait (shad, bluegill, or asian carp).

16. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Chubbs or any kind or minnows dead or alive have always worked for me. :big_smile:

17. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    SHAD, HELGERMITES AND TURKEY LIVERS HERE! BUY THE WAY WELCOME TO THE BOC.

18. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I was told by a old fisher one day haviin a conversation that the best bait is the natural bait .....what they eat in there enviorement such as shad......
    I agree with him since I do allright with the theory but I try and use anything that will get em hookeed

19. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Sorry foget the most important "WELCOME ABOARD" MAKE YERSELF AT HOME AND GOOD LUCK!

20. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Welcome to the BOC, Brian.