Alive or dead shad

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by allflats, Jul 6, 2008.

Alive or dead?

1. Alive

2. Dead on ice

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I haven't had luck keeping shad alive for long so i put them on ice. Even if i put on hook alive they die soon after. So how many here use alive and how many use dead?

2. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I use gizzard shad both alive and died.

3. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i use shad pretty much dead,and fresh as possible.if you want them alive you better search on how to make a livewell for them.they need a little bit of tlc to keep them alive.

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    theres another thread on this in shad talk. i have 0 luck . they die in 3-5 min and i dont waste money trying. bluegills if i want live. cut works great for channels.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I dont even try to keep them alive,I just do like you an put em on ice and keep them from sitting in the water. Works for me.

6. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    There are a couple of products I use, Bait Fresh and Shad Keeper, that work really well when trying to keep shad alive. I have kept them alive for as long as 3 days before.

7. JCONWAY

JCONWAY New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I use live shad allot, the best thing I found is a 120 qt cooler with an aerator from wally world. If you put rock salt in with them about a cup for the 120 qt cooler, they will stay alive all day and all night!

8. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I strictly use shad for fishing and they are alive when put on the hook but seem to really quickly after that!:smile2: Once they kick the bucket I then fillet a side off of them and use them as cut bait. Lately I have been getting all my bites from fresh cut bait.

9. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I can't keep them alive for long,no matter what I try. So,I use them for cut bait. Live baitfor me is blue gills, and any other sunfish I get in the net.

10. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    I had rather use alive shad but it sure hard to keep them alive. Fresh shad on ice works real well anyways.

11. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    the bigger they are the longer they stay alive. i use a 7 gallon bucket and a "bubbles" air pump. it keeps em alive for as long as i can fish usually.

12. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    Vittles ah la cutbait. Cut bait works so well I doubt i would notice the difference between live or dead unless I was hunting flatheads.

It would be my luck the first time I tried live shad it would be a superhot spot and I would convence myself that it was because the bait was live.

I have never had the oportunity to fish both at the same time to see which will solicit the bite the best, It is enough trouble sometimes just getting bait much less keeping it alive.

13. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    gotta have some live small (3" shad) to catch the fishies! =p

14. LaBlueHunter

LaBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    prefer them cut (mainly use the head) but at times i use the fillets not often but they must be fresh for me to use them when im fishing i generally only cath 10-13 shad at a time put int he bucket after an hour or so there usually gone i catch fresh again if shad are scarce after they die in the bucket ill put them on ice makeing sure ot drain the water off as the ice melts an replaceing it as needed to keep them from getting soggy or mushy

15. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    Before i got my bait tank and had a smalle boat i use to pack my shad on ice in a zip lock bag this will keep them fresh and firm a long time, also when you cut them they would still have blood, Shad that are not kept cold will become soft and not have much blood, I used a sixpack cooler to keep them in and it worked great for most part of the day, Heat will destroy shad, One thing to think about is that when you handle any bait any type of sunblock or other element will be passed onto the bait so keep your hands clean, After i put my sunblock or other elements i use a shad to wash my hands with also, There are some soaps that are made just for this reason, Next time your out and the bite is good and you do something and it goes south check your hands and see if it comes back.

16. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I don't really try to keep them alive. For me they are a cut bait. If I am going live I will use Bluegill.

17. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I buy or catch them live and put them into a bait tank, but most of the time I cut them up as soon as I pull one from the tank that way they are still bleeding and flopping around for a few min. before they get stiff. take a 7 inch herring that has been swimming in a bait tank with stacker II's in the water and cut him in half if you can hold him, he will flop in the boat for 15 min.

18. Shreveport Mike

Shreveport Mike New Member

State:
    louisiana
    As long as they are used within the same hour that I catch them. After an hour in the bucket, I throw my cast net and catch fresh ones.

19. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    We also buy or catch them. We don't have a problem keeping them alive in a bait tank, its the skipjacks that we cant keep alive.

So we use them alive until they start floating funny, then its off with their head.

-Jim-

20. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    We put our shad on top of the ice in an ice chest with a lid. We leave the drain open so that the water can drain out of the ice chest.