Aligator Gar???

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by ghostcat78, Feb 17, 2009.

1. ghostcat78

ghostcat78 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    - Alligator gar! Where are they? I have fished the river constant of years and never have caught one. I guess I never fished or bow fished for them before. But you would think if their around you would catch one every blue moon. I have used some nasty bait in my day and caught a handful of gar but never a alligator gar. I would love to sink a hook in one. But how? And where? I live in Jefferson City area. :confused2: Reason for asking my fishin buddy went to Basspro and told me about the alligator gar they have in one of their tanks. 8' fish 300lbs Now that’s a big fish!!! Maybe not for eating but that would be one heck of a fight and a fishin story.

2. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I've only heard of a couple instances of them in Missouri. A couple have been shot by bow fisherman in southeast Missouri in waters that run in to the Mississippi. There's also a few stories that I've heard of them being in Lake of the Ozarks. Most alligator gar that I've heard of have come from Texas.

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    More to the south as the other guys said. Also, when you get one over 100lb be sure to hang it by the gills from a tree and kill it or if you're a bow fisherman throw it on the bank. Because it's only a gar, even if it's older than me and you :smile2:

4. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    fence posts man fence posts darn great place to hang heads of fish :wink:

5. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    what's the big point in killing the alligator gars. why would you want to kill something that's been around since the dinosaurs. throwin em up on the bank or hangin em up by the gills. that is just stupid thing I've heard on this site. somebody needs to learn and practice cpr.

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Well Alan I don't know nothing about no Alligator Gar but I do know I can say WELCOME to the BOC.Great place to hang out and learn,learn and learn more. Check out the( Mo Gathering) site.Gonna be a great time by everyone.Great food,Prizes and fishing contest .Check it out ,come join the fun. Not that far from you at Truman Lake May 15,16 and 17th.

Sorry got carried away:roll_eyes: Anyways :0a25:!!:smile2:

7. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I'd like to bowfish for them one day. It is kind of sad killing a fish of that magnitude even if it is just a gar. They aren't nearly as plentiful as the once were do to overharvesting.

I've ate long nose gar and they have a great taste if you eat them while they are hot. Just take tin snip and take out the back straps just like you would a deer.

8. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Nah, few on this site have caught and released more big fish than BKS72, and few have promoted catch and release as strongly as he has. His comments were sarcastic toward the common practices that are decimating the populations of large alligator gar in some parts of the country.

9. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Ya beat me to it, Gary. I don't know anybody that promotes CPR on any type of fish, more than Brandon.

10. bodie

bodie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    What they need to do is put a limit on the alligator gar where they do have them. I will be going looking for some with my bow one of these years and I will say one thing. The only thing left of the fish will be the bones because they are some great table fare.

11. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    screw the gar go shoot some BIGHEAD CARP that's the fish that needs to be thinned out.

12. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Guys, sorry, long day at work and a couple of beverages, I shouldn't have been so obnoxious with that post.

Sorry for the poor impression I might have made, Alan. Welcome to the BOC!

Branden

13. bodie

bodie New Member

State:
    Missouri

I did my fare share of it last year. The only way I think you will put a dent in them things is to open a legal shotgun season on them:0a22:

14. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Now THAT would be cool! Duckhunters can shoot on the water, why not carp hunters?:smile2:

15. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    If you have a commercial license I heard there is a place in Hardin,Ill. that buys them for 10 cents a pound.I don't know what they do with them.

16. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Make fish patties and sell them suckers. That's what I do with all of mine that I shoot/snag. They are delicious but takes a little bit of prepping to pressure cook the fillets down to dissolve the bones and making the patties.

17. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    Hmmm, never thought bout eatin em. Might need to give that ago. Usually though when i get my paws on one i start thinkin bout how big i want to cut my bait for the day:wink:

18. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Last Spring I had a huge gar on a limbline, I was alone and was unable to get it in the boat before it got off (wasn't hooked good). We're not supposed to have alligator gars up this far, only spotted and long nose, but this thing was bigger than anyone of those I've seen before. It looked as long as me with about a 20 inch girth. (yea, I know, another fish story)

19. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    lake of the "O" has alot of big Gar and I'm sure Truman does to.

20. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    There are some really big longnose in there 5 to 6 foot and up to 25lbs. maybe. But an alligator gar gets to 10-12' long and weighs hundreds of pounds.Water gets too cold for 'em up here in the winter.My game warden buddy says a few might migrate up the rivers in the spring and summer but as it cools off they head back south. I enjoy catching them longnose this time of year though.