Aliens in my backyard...

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by michiganwhitetailRLM, Jun 9, 2008.

1. michiganwhitetailRLM

michiganwhitetailRLM New Member

State:
    MI
    I have had my sights on this really big dead tree for awhile now. I'm having a house warming party soon and need wood for the bonfire. Well today I headed back in the woods to drop that big old tree and was stopped dead in my tracks when I saw dozens of these insects on the tree that I wanted to get ahold of. Now I'm not afraid of bugs but some of these critters are @ least 10" long from front of head to the tip of their whatever it is on the end of them. All the bigger ones where apparently laying eggs inside the tree but there where smaller ones that would land for a few seconds then just fly away. I've lived all over the country but have spent most of my life here in michigan and have never seen anything like this. Here are some pics, anyone have any ideas?

2. michiganwhitetailRLM

State:
    MI
    Check out the photos in my personal profile because you got to see them more up close. ANy info would be helpful to make sure I am not getting myself into something I regret before cutting this tree down. Thanks.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Rick,I have witnessed that on National geographic or discovery channel. I cant recall what they are ,but they wont hurt ya.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Looks like some crazy bugs. Thanks for sharing and let us know if you find out what they are.

5. michiganwhitetailRLM

State:
    MI
    I have to admit that they are very beautyful when you see them with your own eyes. They look like a giant wasp with 6 to 8" dual hairs, like from a turkey beard on the end of their rear. Some are black and yellow, black and steelblue and a few looked loke tiger stripes. I dont want to kill them since they must be rare but.............I want my tree dangit.

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    GOt to be more than one tree in those woods. Now you wouldn't take them poor bugs home would you.
    Can't help you with what they are but you can keep them up there. We have enough wierd creatures around here now.Let us know if you figure out what they are.

7. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I would pour some gas on that old tree and fire those bugs up. Or get a can of brake cleaner and spray them. Bee's, wasps and bugs in general hate brake cleaner. It flat knocks them down DEAD.

8. michiganwhitetailRLM

State:
    MI
    Yeah i know there are other trees and i can think of a dozen ways to kill these tree huggers, but i want this one tree cause its dead and i wont cut down a live tree unless it has to be done. I dont want to kill these insects cause it dosent teach my little one good conservation and i think they might be rare. All i want is that tree and someone to I.D. these bugs....lol

9. michiganwhitetailRLM

State:
    MI
    Got the name of these critters from a bug guroo today. They are called the MEGARHYSSA; a rare giant non-stinging wasp. They are laying eggs but seem to be vacating the tree. Looks like the adults will live but the eggs will be cooking in my bonfire soon....lol!

10. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I wonder what the guy thought that seen the first "red oak borer" They have all but wiped out the oak timber in parts of the Boston mtns. in northwest ark. Don't get me wrong, i'm not sayin kill everything ya don't know what is but not everything is benificial either.

11. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    had a bug like that in utah, called an ichunomon fly. sure that's not how you spell it but they were everywhere in the mountains. a lot of fly and wasp larvae are parasitic or predatory, and would not harm your tree. also, not rare. a lot of times you see something for ythe first time it has been there the whole time, or is expanding its range. burn away! :wink: