Alexandria, Louisiana Area Fishing on the Red Help

Discussion in 'LOUISIANA RIVERS TALK' started by cwhite6, Jul 28, 2006.

1. cwhite6

cwhite6 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hello all!
    I joined the site today and have been reading for a little while off and on at work. Lots of great info on here. I need some help with some info on the Red. My buddy and I are trying to start fishing the Red around Alexandria and north and south of here. Neither of us are from here, so we do not know a whole lot about it. We tried doing a little bit by the lock around Colfax, but the only decent fish we caught was a goo! Can someone give us some pointers on places and techniques for around here? We love to catfish, but most of my catfishing has been done in ponds. Usually a bass or Sac-a-lait chaser. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    I do not know if you will find any other members in the area. Gordon and jyself are the only ones that I have noticed posting for this area. When I get up there we will have to just start our own branch of the club and recrute more members for the BOC. I will have a 1 1/2 acrer pond and we will have to have a get to gether there and see what kind of fish we can catch out of the pond.

3. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    welcome to the boc, chip. great site and people, enjoy.

4. cwhite6

cwhite6 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks for the welcome Bigcat and Larry. Larry, the pond idea sounds pretty fun. I have a daughter who is about to turn two and I am itching to bring her fishing one day.

5. bigcatch87

bigcatch87 New Member

State:
    louisianna
    im from lafayette and currently living in dallas but my grandparent live in vivian an area southeast of sheveport if you dont mind the drive i would go to caddo lake anywhere on the lake is great fishin but the dam has the best

6. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Chip you get that little one decked out and ready to go. The pond will be just right for her to fish in. It was stocked in 2002 and from what I was told not fished much. My wife and I will chang that we love to fish and the pond is what got us to buy in that area. BOC members will always be welcome.

7. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Hey Chip, welcome to the BOC!!!
    I am not from that area but I can tell you this, if you read about tacktics and areas to fish, you will find them in no time. This site is full of valuable information, It is like the American Express card of catfishing, Don't leave home without it, LOL!!!

8. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hey Chip,

I live in Bossier and fish the Red up here but I go to Dean Lee Research Station one or two times a week for work and the river sure looks good down there. My only advice is get out there and try a bunch of different spots. Don't assume they're all sitting in the bottom of a deep hole. If you don't use fresh shad then start using them. The catfish are tuned into that scent and they're free to boot. Move around alot at first until you find them. If you can see the shad are in an area throw a hook there and give it about 20 minutes. Jug fishing has been outstanding the last month here and it's probably the same there. If you try them run them about 4 feet deep.

On a side note, where is there a public boat launch into the Red in Alex? Just curious.

Welcome to the BOC. We're having a get together Sept 31st and maybe a small pick-up tournament just north of lock and dam #5. Our gatherings are always a blast. Come up and join us if you can.

9. old poot

old poot New Member

State:
    La.
    :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: WELCOME TO THE B.O.C. CHIP

10. WildWillie

WildWillie New Member

State:
    Rockport, TX
    Go here, http://www.redriverwaterway.com/rec_areas.aspx, and click on the Alexandria Levee Park. They can give you better directions than I can.

There is also a very nice RV park and landing on the east side of the river at Colfax. Never fished there, but we stayed in the RV park on a little trip to south LA.

Will

11. gberan

gberan New Member

State:
    Deville louisiana
    Welcome to BOC Chip. I live just outside of Pineville in a little town called Deville. I fish the Red River just south of Alex. at Lock and Dam #2. I haven't tried it a Colfax yet due to the drive and price of gas. I catch enough close to home. I would be glad to show you some places that I fish. I usually drift just below the dam, using cut shad. My biggest to date is a 60 lb blue. Two weeks ago my Wife caught a 43 inch 50 lb blue. We catch plenty of eaters that way. You can drop me a note here or at gberan@aol.com, or call me at 318-466-5931. There are also some great lakes here in the Alex. area.

12. Wat up Chipster...me too I tryin to get hep here....

13. cwhite6

cwhite6 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks everyone for the tips! I really appreciate it. Gberan, I also live in Deville. I live off of Denny Road with a Deville address, but not really in Deville proper. :) Catfisherfromball is my main fishing buddy and I see he just posted. I will be dropping you a line shortly for some info. Thanks again everyone!

14. jovy1097

jovy1097 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Gordon,
    What is your method of drifting? I fish mostly on the Atchafalaya River near Simmesport and would like to try your method down here. Do you drift with the current and with your weight on the bottom? Or do you use a motor to slow your drift down?

15. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I would like you all welcome to the B.O.C.. We sure need more La. Members especially from North East La. I am originally from La, and still family there.my real brother is from Calhoun,La with the user Name m.a.p., yep he is also a B.O.C. member. He is a fairly new member and can not post much due to his Job. You guys have some of the best Catfishing waters in the country, must find them and use the correct bait. I wish I still lived there, but I have a home here now. Beouf river is a good cat river, the Ouachita is also good below Columbia Lock and dam, at Columbia,La. Bayou Mason out of Oak Grove is also good. Fresh Shad and Skip Jack should be the bait of choice. Fresh small gills work well also.

I hope to see you guys at the National Gathering, meet a bunch of members do not get isolated!

16. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    My daddy was born in Pineville, grew up in Pollack. Used to go to Pollack most summers. Even as a kid, I wondered what the fishing was like in the Red, but never got to go. Good to know there are some. Luck to y'all.

17. gberan

gberan New Member

State:
    Deville louisiana
    jovy1097, I drift with the current or wind depending on which is moving the boat best. I select a weight that will keep my line straight down from the boat and basically keep the bait moving at the same speed as the boat. I use cut bait, shad or mullet and even perch. I drop the line until it hits bottom and crank up about two turns. This keeps me from getting hung up in the rocks below the dam. I also use my depth finder to find the drop offs and see how the fish are holding. I usually find them on the deep side of a drop off. I will first drift over this drop off from shallower water and leave my line as I had it set for the shallow water. If after a couple of drift bys with no bites, I will watch the depth finder and as soon as I hit the drop off I will hit the release button on my reel and let the bait free fall to the bottom. Usually something will hit it before it gets to the bottom, If I can figure out what depth that is I will fish that depth each time I drift over that drop off. I have never fished the Atchafalaya, but have noticed every time I cross over it there is considerable current. If the bottom is relitively even, I would fish places where the river makes a bend, and I would look for an eddy current. In this situation you would have to figure out where to place the boat where it would drift downstream right on the edge of the two currents, idealy when you get to the point where the eddy current starts back upstream your boat will fall into the current and drift upstream, again keep the boat right on the edge of the two currents. In this situation I would start at the bottom depth with a two turn crank up. Watch the finder and see what depth the fish are holding and adjust your depth till you start getting bites. Hope this helps, keep me informed.

18. gberan

gberan New Member

State:
    Deville louisiana
    Archer, if you wondered as a kid if there were fish in the Red, you probaly saw the Red when it was Red(muddy). Since they finished the Lock and Dam system we now have a very nice clear blue river to fish in. The only time it gets muddy in in the fall if we have a real heavy rainy season. Now you can catch bass, white perch, bream, channel, blue,flathead catfish and just about any other fish you find in the lakes. If you get back this way give me a heads up and I will take you out on the Red for some good catfishing. By the way, La. has a new licence for out of state fishermen which cost $5 for a one day trip in fresh water. Wish Texas would do the same.

19. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    gberan, Louisiana has done a great job with its fisheries and state parks. Meanwhile, our state legislature is starving our parks system and begrudging fisheries only as much as it takes to keep the fishermen off their backs. I go to Ruston to take my youngest son to La. Tech or pick him up several times a year, maybe I can schedule a day and come fish with you. Yes, you are right, it was called the "Red" river for a reason. I've noticed when I cross at Shreveport its no longer red like it used to be.

20. gberan

gberan New Member

State:
    Deville louisiana
    come on down, be glad to take you out, just give me a heads up a couple of days ahead so I can make sure I'm free, especially if it is in Oct. Hunting kinda takes up a lot of my time! but I can find time to fish too!