Alcoa Duck Pond

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by festus, Jan 21, 2010.

1. festus

festus New Member

I read WattsBarCatfisher's post about the Alcoa Duck Pond being a very good fishing hole. This past Christmas I bought my girlfriend's grandson a South Bend Catfish Combo with a tackle box included in the deal. It's a 7 footer spooled with 20 lb. test line. He's about 13 years old and has never been fishing.

Just wondering, he lives in Maryville, and it wouldn't be far away. I always heard the Alcoa Duck Pond was an excellent place for big grass carp and big common carp, but now I hear it's good for flatheads and other catfish. Has anyone fished it during the winter? I bet in springtime it will be great fishing for different species. Also I heard from someone there is also a pond near the Maryville library. Anyone know about this or maybe I had a misunderstanding? Maryville doesn't have any big rivers or lakes nearby so this would be the closest option for my little friend.

Well I just noticed I should have posted this in the Local TN Talk section, mods, if you think it needs it, please move it for me. Thanks

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  2. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    pm sent to you

Btw, the pond is off limits to fishing unless you are under 16 or over 65. The responsible one suffer for the idiots that ravaged the place.

3. festus

festus New Member

I understand why it's off limits to irresponsible adults, but they'll let the adults assist the juvenilles, right?

4. WattsBarCatfisher

WattsBarCatfisher New Member

State:
    Kingston T
    nope sure cant.... people went over there and trashed the place a few times i guess. i wasnt in town when they started that crap so im not sure why you cant fish there

5. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    You can assist, they should never have qualms with that.

6. festus

festus New Member

Well, his maternal grandfather is in his 80's, excellent shape, and also lives in Maryville. So I'll try to talk him into taking him fishing with him since he is so close. He will be able to fish at that age since he's over 65. This kid is an excellent athlete and has a cannon for an arm. Maybe he will get interested in long distance casting and get into fishing. I'd like to check the duck pond out at least once, but it will be rather boring after a little while without being able to fish.

I forget, once you reach a certain age is fishing license free? Or do you have to pay for a lifetime license after you reach this age?

There is another pond down in Fountain City. I used to eat lunch up there back about 15 years ago and saw some folks catching carp and bluegill outta there. Reckon there's any cats in there? It is heavily fished.

7. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    There is some cats in there not the bigguns... They closed it down to adults due to all the people comming over from the hood drinking and doing drugs... last time I was there was a long time ago and I seen a few drug needles on the ground... My dad said we are never going back....:sigarette:

8. festus

festus New Member

That's a shame. I guess we can file this one into the "bank fishing spots off limits" thread I started a while back: http://www.catfish1.com/forums/show...vorite-Bank-Fishing-Spots-Off-Limits-Nowadays

Kids can do drugs in there, too, right? I don't think there's many kids around under 16 who do needle drugs. Looks like they would close it after hours but let the adults fish during the day. I'd think there would be less drug activity there with adults around, but I don't really know Alcoa enough to make a statement.

9. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    Government housing is less than 1/2 mile away so that really explains it... But if you go to topside road off of Alcoa highway right past mouses ear and the sky ranch air port, there is topside landing you can fish from the bank there...At top side landing look to the right and there is 3 big steel racks that was used to load stuff off of boats a long time ago... This holds TONS of bream crappie and catfish...I have caught a few 10+ lbers while getting bream there for bait.... Also forgot skips are in there heavy when the water is up... throw a white 3in grub over by the tunnel under the bridge..

10. festus

festus New Member

OK, David, is this part of Ft. Loudoun or a separate body altogether? I'll have to check it out Reps coming, man!

11. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'm going to say, from what I gathered through emails and firsthand experience, drugs and needles were not the reason for no fishing. Fisherman aren't doing the drugs so banning it would not stop that problem. It was excess harvesting of fish after the derby and people fishing before it taking them that prompted action. Stocking is expensive, follow the money. In 18 years of fishing there as a kid with my dad, as an adult, and bringing the wrestling team I coached there I never experienced any of what you mentioned. It is unfortunate that was your first impression of the place.

No big cats???? What is big? I say my 40lb, my friends 45, my 33 and most of mine over 21lbs are pretty big for a pond.

12. WattsBarCatfisher

WattsBarCatfisher New Member

State:
    Kingston T
    Bigguns.... Ive caught a 40 and a 35 out of there.. and shad population is very good so its easy to get cutbait.. these 2 fish came from the bond.. 40lb flatt head and a 31 lb carp

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  13. festus

festus New Member

Well, I get my ID checked all the time when I buy adult beverages, reckon I could pass as 16 and get a fishing pass. to the pond?? LOL. No, seriously, I'd like to get Zack (my girlfriend's grandson) interested in fishing because he likes firearms and pocketknives. That would be a good place to start and if he sees those pictures, I think he'll like it.

14. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    Take him and see for youself festus just don't plan on fishing and letting the young man have a good time. I know it will be great even if you don't get to fish.