Albino's any one every caught one?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catfishcentral, Jan 26, 2006.

1. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I was just wondering if anyone ever caught a true albino when catfishing. I caught my first and only one a couple of years ago. We have a lot of very light colored blues in these parts but very few true albino's. I've seen channel cats albino's at the local aquarium's but would love to see a albino flathead if there's been anyone who's every caught one. Here's a pic of my albino, just around 3 pounds. He has a couple of dark spots on him but he's a true albino.

Attached Files:

2. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    There are two spieces of white or Albino catfish that live in the Edwards Aquifer here in central Texas. They are more closely related to Salt water species. The specimens that I have seen came from deep wells South of San Antonio. They were 2 - 2 1/2 inches long The only pigmentation is a small dark dot where their eyes would normally be. Some of these specimens have been captured alive a short time being feed some of the small white shrimp that also inhabit the Aquifer. The fact that some came through the pump and survived the ride up from 2000 ft is in itself amazing.

3. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    There is a pond outside of town here full of albino channel cats. Can't say I have ever heard of or seen an albino flathead though...

4. hopnbrly

hopnbrly New Member

State:
    California
    I never have caught a albino of any species but am also curious if a albino flathead exists.

5. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Last year, while fishing the Susquehanna river, I saw a big ol' catty in about 3 feet of water and it was whiter than snow!!!

6. kybunniebuster

kybunniebuster New Member

State:
    winchester kentucky
    caught my first albino blue this past fall it was around 7 lbs was the first one ive ever seen caught in the wild i was in shock to say the least

7. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
  8. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    cool fish!
    i caught a3 1/2 albino channel out of mark twain lake in missouri
    about twenty years ago. wanted to have it mounted, but was too far from home.
    nice catch and good fishin'!!

9. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Chris, great pictures! A truely amazing fish!

10. muskyman

muskyman Active Member

State:
    Loudon TN
    Name:
    David
    I got a 13lb blue albino in Irvine a few years back. Thing went ballistic too. That much I do remember.

11. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    I've caught a true albino 6lber and its got a cool story. My cusin and i were fishing his uncles pond and stocked 8lb cats were bighting so quick we couldn't keep our lines in the water. The run started to slow and we were talking about how many cats were stocked in the pond. he says they stocked 100 channel and 1 albino but they haven't ever seen it since then so they doubt if it lived. And not 20 second later my rod tip starts twitchin and i reel in a 6lb cat. I could tell something was up with it cause i could see that it looked really pale in the water and the latern light was reflecting off of it. I landed it and quickly took the hook out of his lip and put him back after my cuz snapped a quick pic on his cell phone.

12. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i once caught a albino channel cat out of the Stillwater River at a place we call the pumping station on a nightcrawler. And not to mention the pond around here has a albino catfish that i released when it was 20 inches long from my fish tank

13. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Chris, great pic! About a month ago i caught a beautiful albino. It was snow white with pink fins. He went 5 or 6 pounds. As soon as i get that role developed i'll have to remember to post its pic.

Danny

14. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    The only ones I have ever seen in person were at the Bass Pro Shops in Charlotte, NC !! LOL!

15. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    Saw the pix of your catch, nice fish for sure but it isnt an albino. What you caught is a melanistic catfish which while rare are not that uncommon compared to true albinism in catfish. I usually catch one or two melanistic cats a year and one albino every decade. The two conditions both involve the pigment producing cells in the fish's body but in different ways. Ever seen a black "blue" catfish? same condition as the cat you caught. The melanin producing cells have gone haywire and can produce too much, not enough, or no pigment but the cells are there. In an albino the pigment making cells are not present in the animal at all. The fish you caught has the melanin producing cells but some of them never turned "on" thus giving the "half albino" appearance.

16. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I agree with muskyMan, About 11-12 yrs ago I found some live dark brown Leeches in a foam cup on the bank of the lake I was fishing. I wasn't having to much luck and deceided to move to another spot.

I finally stop where a big cedar tree had broken off and fell into the lake.Pulled the slip knot down to about 2 1/2-3' stuck one of those leeches on and casted out just beside the tree set the clicker and laid it down, Man I didn't even get to get the other pole off the ground,Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

That fish took off like a rocket. I grabbed the rod and set the hook and Bro's I fought that fish for 10 - 15 minutes. every time he got to the surface it would tear the water up like some shark you see on TV.Thought I was never going to get him in.After landing it Hooked him on some scales he weighed 16 lb's. rebaited ( with a leech ) and casted to the same spot and caught 3 more on them leeches,one after another LOL. that were in the range of 9 - 14 lb's apiece, and all of them were Albino Catfish. Man my arm was hurting after that,and my Brother couldn't beleive his own eyes, 4 of them big ole White boys, there heads were about 7-8 " wide, pink eyes. pretty Fish. Man that was fun:)

Thanks for bringing back the memory.

PS, these were white as snow

17. Slimer13

Slimer13 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I caught 3 albino channels on lake texarkana from the park pier using salt pork about three years ago. They all went about 2lbs

18. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK

Well, now I'm dissapponited. I was for sure that that was a albino, being that is had those pink eye's, pink fins and snow white on 95% of it's body. I've never heard of a melanistic cat before, learn something new everyday. I've caught thousands of blues over the years and this was the first time to every see one like like and assume it was for sure a albino.

19. Environmentor

Environmentor New Member

State:
    Buffalo, Iowa
    I've never caught an Albino, but I beleive flathead catfish can become Albino. Although I haven't seen, nor heard of one, here is why:
    Albinism is an evolutionary through back were a mutation can arrise in melanin coding DNA. Then coding causes the melanin cells to not produce pigment or "haywire" as Bayoubear states. Albinism spans across a wide range of organisms (amphibians, mammals, snakes, fish, etc.). I don't really know all the different fauana that share this melanin code, but it would all go back to common ancestry. Any organism that has this common ancestor has this code and potential for albinism. Since this common ancestor is from millenia ago (before dinosaurs and amphibians and Pangea and etc.) then lineal descendent of families/classes/orders should all have this albinism character. Since there are numerous catfish species that are albino around the world, and we know that channel catfish can become albino, and if we logically conclude that channels, blues, and flatheads are all evolutionarly and closely related (since they only exist in North America and are in the same phylogenic groupings) then FLATHEADS CAN BE ALBINO

20. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    haywire, hahaha bad word choice in a 'technical' explanation but yall got my point i see. LOL

i know it doesnt sound as cool to say ya caught a melanistic catfish as an albino but it 'tis what it 'tis. the way to tell an albino is there is no color nowhere, not a spot, not the specks that indicate its a channel cat, not a smudge of blue on a fin point, nothing at all. the animal in question doesnt have a single pigment cell in its body.

melanism,,, runs the spectrum. you can have a fish thats 999 percent white, pink eyes, the works but if its got one molecule of color anywhere then its melanistic. 999 percent of its cells did not turn on to make pigment but the cells are present. maybe theyre defective, maybe just lazy but they are there. on the other extreme ive caught a jet black blue catfish. same condition just the cells went into overdrive making too much or the wrong color of pigmentation.

by the way....
    youre not the only one....
    in the old BOC i posted a pic of my "albino" catfish and the elders here showed me the same light ive shown you. i verified this by an email to a professor of ichthyology that agreed.

but ya kno what? dont matter what you call it,,, they are neat as hell to catch and they eat just as well as any other catfish.

flatheads? while theoretically possible, ive personally not seen one either melanistic or albino. all mine have been channels and blues.