Albino Peacock

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Cattledogz, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    I have seen lots of different albino critters but this is the first time in 55 years that I have seen an albino peacock.

Got these pics in an email today.

Attached Files:

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thats really pretty but don't true albinos have pink eyes? Maybe not,I may be confused...Its really cool though! Thanks for sharing!

3. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Your right thats not an albino but a pretty bird non the less. I wonder if they lease it out for weddings in replace of doves.

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Looks like a long tailed pheasant.

Can't really tell what color the eyes are from where I'm sitting.

Beautiful bird anyway

5. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Thats one fine looking bird.

6. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Here's some information about it;

Besides the India Blue, whites are the most well known peafowl type to non-enthusiasts. Contrary to popular belief, whites are not albinos, because their eyes are blue, not pink.

Type of mutation: The white is a color mutation, and although it can carry other genes, such as the blackshoulder and white-eyed, they are not visible because of its completely white color.

Peacock Coloration: Males are, as their name implies, completely white. Faint eyespots can be distinguished in the train by a thin layer of off white that surrounds the ocelli. The actual seeing eyes of the birds are blue.

Peahen Coloration: Hens are completely white, with blue eyes.

Peachick Coloration: When first hatched, the chick is yellow in color with white wings. White chicks are hard to sex until about two years of age when the male will developed wispy tail coverts, because the bird does not change color much in its lifetime, and the male and female look so similar. Chicks born at the same time can sometimes be sexed by the length of their legs. Males often have longer legs than the females.

Origin: It is speculated there may be a few white peafowl bred naturally in India. White was one of the first variations to be discovered and made popular, and has been around for many years.

Do they breed true?: Yes, white bred to white will produce 100% white chicks. White is an incomplete dominant gene, so when a white is bred to a non-white the offspring will be split to white, and this will show itself by small white patches on its primary wing feathers.
    http://database.amyspeacockparadise.com/white.html

Will

7. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    That is cool info Will. Thanks for posting it and clarifying that up about the peafowl. :smile2:

8. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hey Barb....thanks for the interesting pic, such a pretty bird. I've never seen a white one either, but like you, I knew it was a peacock. Old guy my parents knew had two (India Blues). They were mean :eek:oooh:, but gorgeous. That white one is stunning though, just as beautiful, but in an entirely different way.

Will....you're too cool buddy. Thanks for posting all the pertinent info, I enjoyed it very much. :smile2:

9. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    That sure is a :cool2: pretty bird thanks for posting:smile2:

10. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    That is a beautiful bird! I'll admit, when I saw the topic, I really couldn't imagine it would be that pretty, but that one is gorgeous!! Thanks for sharing that with us!

11. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    thanks for sharing the pics pretty bird

12. okie gal

okie gal New Member

State:
    Okla. City
    That is a beautiful sight! Do you know anything about how rare they are?
    My son has pictures of an albino deer. I guess there are albino's in every species.

Okie gal

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for those pics Barb Im gonna raise the White variety of Peafowl if I ever get far enough away from town again .First one i ever saw was at the Zoo in Garden City Ksbout ten years ago

14. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Barb,

I hadn't seen one until a few years back, either. There is a farm near here that has one and 'it' would come out from behind a bush when I talked to it, but I never got to see the tail fan like the ones you posted. They are even prettier then! Thanks for sharing those.

Here is a pic of the one I've seen.

[​IMG]

Take care.
    Cheryl

15. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Just goes to show you the many amazing things mother nature offers

16. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    I was just wondering----do they eat as good as the look????:wink:

Just Kidding!!!!!!!:0a33: :shame:

17. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Im sure they taste just like the rest Steve lots of folks around here raise them to eat they are really just phesants on steroids:lol:

18. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Thanks Richard, i had no idea people ate them. Now ya got me thinking about Pheasant, i havent eaten pheasant since i was a kid---------now thats some good eating!!!:big_smile:

19. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I don't know if they are good eatin' or not, but I know what they do when they are searching for a mate..........:big_smile: :crazy: