albino flathead catfish??

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by shanelures, Jun 18, 2009.

1. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    its sonds pretty rediculise to me but has anyone ever herd of or seen an albino flathead?? interesting though! reason i'm asking is a tackle place in maumee,oh has something about someone catching one but has'nt brought them photos yet. it was suposed to be 18lbs. anyone have any opinions on this. the site in question is maumeetackle.com. when and if they post pics i'll definately let everyone know about it!! thanks, shane

2. 40oz

40oz New Member

State:
    Gun Barrel Tx
    I don't see why it could'nt be possible, If it is true I bet it is very rare.

3. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio

Yeah, as far as I'm aware, the albinism gene lies dormant in just about every species of animal....... I have seen pics from BOC members of Albino channels, so why not an albino flatty???

4. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i thought i seen a pic on the boc somewhere of a albino flatty last year, i know i seen albino channel cats before

5. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    ITS POSSIBLE I GUESS.I WOULD REALY LIKE TO SEE OR CATCH ONE.

6. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
  7. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    lol never seen a albino with red eyes pink yes red no

8. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    red, pink... tomato, tomoto :tounge_out:

9. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My Dad caught a Albino Flathead(with pink eyes) it weighted about 8 # , That was 44 years ago in the Ohio River near Vevay, In. :wink:

10. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    yeah id say its about the same chance as getting an albino deer. but maybe even a little better, seeing how there is only 1-3 fawns to a doe. and there is like 50,000 - 250,000 eggs per fish. but i have seen plenty of albino blue cats:
    Albino Catfish

Albino catfish are like all other albino as a result of a [COLOR=black ! important][COLOR=black ! important]genetic[/COLOR][/COLOR] anomaly that causes the fish to lack pigment and thereby appear white. There exists albino specimens of all catfish species in the wild but the light coloration makes them easier to spot by predators and it is therefore uncommon with adult albino catfish in the wild. Albino Catfish are much more common in captivity where this trait isn’t negative for their survival. They are to the contrary often very appreciated as albino catfish in many ways are valued as superior to regular catfish in captivity. There are several reasons behind the fact that albino catfish are appreciated when breeding catfish commercially. I will in this text use the Albino channel catfish as an example since Albino channel catfish are breed in large quantities and in a good way display the perceived benefits with Albino Catfish.

WOW DID ANYONE KNOW THIS NEXT PART? ABOUT CROSS BREADING?

Flatheads are close to impossible to breed in aquariums due to their solitary nature but they can be breed in large ponds. In the wild Flathead catfish spawns during the late spring when the water temperature is raising. The male guards the egg and fry in a nest that usually is placed in a cave or near another sunken object that can help provide cover for the nest. The female can lay 100 000 eggs in one spawning. The fry form large schools in and around the nest the first few days but after that they disburse and the males parental duty is then over. Flathead catfish can sometimes crossbreed with Channel Catfish.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/catfish/flathead.php

11. marcusbigdaddy1

marcusbigdaddy1 New Member

State:
    ohio
    A cpl of years back i bought a albino flathead from the pet store. I collect all speciec of catfish and its the first and only one ive ever seen

12. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I am a strict CPR guy but im SORRY, if I caught that thing it would be above my fireplace! I could not stand the thought of somebody else just filleting it and not knowing what they just caught!!:crazy:

13. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    Yell I would give it to Cabelas are something.If they didn't want it, I would let it go.Truly Beautiful.