Albino Channel Catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by SilverCross, Jul 18, 2006.

1. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    This morning our ex police chief, he retired, and his grandson pulled up across the street from the Radio Schack at the police station. They got out and opened up the tailgate on his truck, what you could see was three channels about 5-6lbs each, then in a bucket he had a 6bl Albino Channel. That was the first one I had seen other than at a museum. He also had another bucket with four largemouth bass, they looked to weigh from about three to maybe six pounds each. They were all caught in a private pond. If it is the pond I think it is, it costs $750 a year to belong to it. Made me drool a little bit.

2. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Pretty cool I'll bet. I have thought about trying to raise a catfish in my tank. If I could get an albino, that would be sweet.

3. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i use to fish a private pond that was stocked with albino's, i never caught one but seen a 4-5 pounder that was floating near the surface at night, he swim back down after my light hit him. sure was pretty. wish the new owners would let me fish it.

4. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    We have a small body of water down the road that has them. Not unusual to catch a couple. Lake is only about 15 acres.

5. mongesf

mongesf New Member

State:
    Beardstown, Illinois
    Hey Jim, is the body of water part of site M or is it private. Just curious.

6. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Ashland [FONT=&quot]Reservoir and it's open to the public. Good size redear also[/FONT]

7. BrianM

BrianM New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have caught several albino channel cats at Sam Dale state park in Johnsonville Il

8. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I know of some private ponds in my area that have some albinos that are 15+ lbs. The first time i saw one it was kind of spooky. I had no idea what it was. Ghost Fish!!!!:eek:oooh:

9. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Lake Hope here in SE Ohio has some in it. A buddy of mine has caught4 in the last couple of years.

10. YankeeRebel

YankeeRebel New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I never seen one. It would be awesome to catch one tho.:big_smile:

11. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I have one in my fishtank. I'll have to try and get a snapshot of it fer ya' and put it up on here. I have seen albino and leucistic/melanistic channels and bullhead in my area from years of fishing round' here. There is a few lil' mom & pop tackle shops up "the creek rd." and there bulletinboards where people put up pictures of there catches for other anglers to gawk at! LOL! I seen a sturgeon and a very elated fisherman in a picture hangin there a few years back. The fish was as large as he was!

12. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I have caught several at watts bar above the dam here in tn.

13. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i seen some at an aquarium store once. only about 1 ounce though! hey, could i release albinos in a pond and grow em bigger??? pm me ifn i could!

14. Remi

Remi New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I hauled in a 10 lb Redtail Cat (Amazon Catfish)at a private pond 2 years ago, man that thing was really cool to reel in while my 2 buddies and my son where saying what the heck is that. I have picture somewhere I'll have to post.

15. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I just caught a couple small ones at a farm pond a few weeks ago. They even had the red in their pupils. Pretty fish!

16. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    there is a pond outside of town here in il that is stocked with em. turn them back mostly. ate one though. no different taste but very pretty looking.

17. Jebbie

Jebbie New Member

State:
    TN
    I went on a little vaction to South Dakota last month. I stopped at Gavins Point Dam for the day just to look around. Anyway, they have a fish hatchery and aquarium there, they have one there. I took some video of it and uploaded it to youtube for you all. I don't know the exact size of it cause the signs say that fish are actually bigger than they appear, but it's a decent size.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwL37_u1aCg

18. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    That's a cool clip - thanks for sharing!

19. bigcatJoe

bigcatJoe New Member

State:
    indiana
    I never seen one before.