Albino catfish

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by copycat, May 3, 2006.

1. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Anyone ever catch a Albino catfish? I have seen pics of them on the web. I guess it would be an added suprise to pull on up! The red eyes are very cool.

2. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Here is a state record from Conneticut, I believe

Attached Files:

3. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    There is a few in my wifes unlce pond i turned one a lose there few year ago. his grandson caught this one the other day. He CPR

Attached Files:

4. Dav1

Dav1 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have cought several albino channel cats.

David

5. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I have caught a blue that looked very very white but did not have red eyes, don't know if it was albino or just scared because i hooked it in the mouth and drug it in a boat

6. Kentucky Boy

Kentucky Boy New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I caught one in a farm pond once, but only about 1 1/2 pounds. If I had caught a larger one, I'm afraid catch and release would be out the window and the fish would be on my wall.

7. steve-o

steve-o New Member

State:
    ohio
    you can still C.P.R. a catfish for a mount. i know a few taxidermists that do excellent catfish replicas. all you need is a few good photos at different angles, and the fish's weight and measurements. make sure to get the lenght and girth. it probably wouldn't hurt to get it's girth at both the base of the head, and the gut. replicas have come a long way, instead of looking like a plastic, painted catfish, they now appear to be a stuffed live fish. they also hold up over time, ever seen a nasty looking mounted fish from 40 years ago? check with taxidermists in your local area. and for all you ohio folks: if you can't find someone, send me a private message and i'll steer you in the direction of someone i know of.

8. Rob Heflin

Rob Heflin New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    My grandfather started farming fish in Mississippi in 1969. I remember him telling me several years ago that in all of the years he raised fish (600 acres of ponds) he had never seen a dead or sick albino.

I know I have been around fish farming for the last 15 or so years and I have never seen a sick or dead albino. But I did catch some small albino fingerlings to put in my aquarium one summer...they died. Go figure...I broke the lucky streak :tounge_out:

Seriously, the albino cats must be healthier and/or more resistant to stress and disease.

9. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i actually have caught quite a few out of the Stillwater river here. My most memorable was when i was still in a block sling from shoulder surgery. That big guy gave me a fun fight:big_smile:

10. catfish joe

catfish joe New Member

State:
    louisville kentucky
    I have caught a few whities they taste good

11. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Killin and eatin them may be bad luck.

12. playinghooky

playinghooky New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i would like to catch one i think they look cool

13. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    My father in law used to have one in his catfish pond. We have seen it many times when feeding but never could catch it. It looked to be 8 lbs or better. Mother in law got sick and he stop feeding the fish. I don't know what happen to the albino.

14. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    Goto the members fishing photo area and click on V and then click on my handle you will see 3 or 4 photos there of a friend who got one that was alittle over 12lbs on a bait i make.

15. Damian_Storm

Damian_Storm New Member

State:
    indiana
    there's a pond here in indiana that is stocked with albino's....you can see them as your fighting them about ten feet down...they fight really really hard too , it's like the other cats make fun of them and they have a chip on their shoulder...lol

16. FRANK

FRANK New Member

State:
    Welland,Ontario,Canada
    I have witnessed 1 Albino catfish caught before, pretty cool looking specimens.

17. Jimmy Don

Jimmy Don Member

State:
    Arkansas
    just need a couple of posts to see the pics

18. Jimmy Don

Jimmy Don Member

State:
    Arkansas
    one more, this ought to do it

19. ETEX-JIGGER

ETEX-JIGGER New Member

State:
    TYLER, TEXAS
    My Buddie Caught One Week Before Last In A 1/2 Acre Pond

20. Just call me C.

Just call me C. New Member

State:
    Indiana
    a friend of mine caught an albino in lake and it was pretty small so he put it in his aquarium until he got rid of it. he put the fish in my pond at about 6 inches, a couple years later we ended up draining the pond because it wouldnt fill completely due to a leak in the dam. when we drained it i got out there and slithered around on my belly in the mud collecting fish...i found the albino (bout a foot long) and put im in my aquarium untill all of my fish myseriously died in one day. i had him, another channel cat of equal size, a few pumpkin seeds, 2 largemouths, 4 gills, and 2 large crawdads...all of which died in one day and it made me so mad. i miss my fish :sad2: