Albany, New York area - Where to fish?

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEW YORK TALK' started by nuno68, Apr 23, 2006.

1. nuno68

nuno68 New Member

State:
    new york
    where can I go, around the albany area. for some great catfish action. I moved up from texas 6 years ago.. and I miss the fight of a cat on my line. I have caught some cats at burden lake.. but compared to what I'm used too... it might as well just been a minnow on my line. I need real catfish action.

2. susquhanna catman

susquhanna catman New Member

State:
    New York
    well i'm not sure what your used to down in texas, but i have a feeling
    you might be disappointed with ny. we have some nice channel cats
    up here in the suquahanna river. and i've heard that there is some
    big blues in the alegany river in upper pa. but compared to texas. not
    a chance. sorry.

glenn, candor ny

3. susquhanna catman

susquhanna catman New Member

State:
    New York
    i just noticed that your new to the site. me too. i like it so far.
    it has alot of great info on cats and fishing for them.
    welcome to the site.

4. nuno68

nuno68 New Member

State:
    new york
    thanks for the tip. I'll have to plan a trip there. I'll take any channel cat action... thanks again.

5. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    Hi Tex,
    First welcome to the club. I happen to live in the Albany area. In fact in Albany. The other guy there is right. This is not Texas and our fish in the immediate area are so,so. I was fishing the Hudson River the other day in the area of Albany and Troy. We were fishing for stripers but were catching catfish using cut bait. However they were only 20" or so and about 2 1/2 lbs.
    These were the largest cats I have caught so far and so far north in the Hudson. I have been fishing the river more years then I want to remember and never started catching cats till last year and farther south then these. I would hope after they dredge the PCV's from the river the fishing will only continue to improve even more, and perhaps the cats will be bigger. There is fishing farther north in Lake Champlain and the cats do run to 25-35 lbs or so.
    Do you have a boat ? I own several and fish a lot. Perhaps you would like to go one day. I am talking to a guy right now who knows Lake Champlain better then I do and is suppose to show me the ropes up that way. I fish the Hudson a lot for the fun of practicing for the big ones in Santee-Cooper where i'm going the first wek of May for a week. You can look under my profile and get my e-mail address if you want to send a message to me.
    Tight lines to you
    John

6. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    You other guys. Where are you fishing the Susquhanna at? What area of New York as it runs a long way to Maryland.

7. nuno68

nuno68 New Member

State:
    new york
    thank you for the reply.. i dont have a boat.. but a friend of mine who does... did mention the cats in Lake Champlain.. we have been meaning to get there. hopefully later this year. now from what you tell me.. the hudson has some pretty good size cats.. i didnt know there were any in the river.. I'll have to give that a try.. I do have so really potent catfish bait with me. that I picked up in Tx of course. and I will give it a try. I will take a rain check on the fishing trip for now. and hopefully cash that in this summer. thanks again for the info..it well help me satisfy this urge for cats.