Alarm going off on a 2006 mercury

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Malichi1970, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Hey I was wondering if there is some sort of reset on the alarm. I have a 60hp 4 stroke motor and after running up on a sand bar the alarm started going off. I made it back to the ramp and pulled the boat out. There was no stream coming out of the back were the water return is, so I figured something was clogged in the line somewhere. The motor never got real hot, but the safety alarm put the motor in safe mode not allowing it to go over 3000 rpm's. When I got hom I back flushed the motor, put the muffs on it and it fired right up and had a good stream coming out of the return. But, when I started to run the rpm's up the alarm went off around 3000 rpm's and limited the motor again. Is there some sort of reset I need to get it to go back to regular mode? I called the dealer and they want me to bring it in for them to look at, but really can't afford the 300-500 I know they are gonna charge me just to look at it.

2. gofish98

gofish98 New Member

State:
    Lafayette Indiana
    $300 to have it checked out , OR $6000 for a new motor ???? I think I would bite the bullit and get it fixed right !

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I don't know much about 4 stroke engines but as suggested better to spend a few then a great big bunch.

4. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    I totally agree, but seems to me that there should be a reset on the motor. If that's the case I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars so they can flick a switch and say here's the bill. Thanks for the help.

5. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    sounds like you may have some sand still in lower unit that you sucked up. with your motor, i'd say worth having dealer check out. might save you a lot. i've seen a lot of guys down here around yuma, az that hit sand bars that have done that. (me included :embarassed:)
    gary

6. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Mike, I'm with the rest on limited knowledge of 4 strokes, but worst case is that you've pulled sand into your waterpump and then sent it into the block, clogging a water gallery and causing a hot spot.

Here's an answer from a Merc mechanic for a similar question from JustAnswer.com.....

can i reset the safe mode on my mercury 250 outboard? 2006 triton tr21 with mercury racing 250hp motor. last time it wasin safe mode it was because of a loose battery connection. i have tightened it this time and replaced the wing nuts with lock nuts. can i reset it?
    Submitted 264 days and 19 hours ago.
    Category: Boat Value: $15.00 Status: CLOSED

Accepted Answer
    Hi Hummrock, guardian should have been reset or turned off when you turned the key off and restarted,if the problem was fixed, if you still have an alarm or rpm reduction then you may have another problem.

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I just had one of the good members jar my memory on the four stroke cooling system. Pull your t-stat and clean it out. Its still full of sand or the veins in the heads are one. I know you backed flushed it but that won't get it all out.

8. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Actually, now that I think about it, worst case is that there was already some damage done from the run back to the ramp and that's why it's still in alarm mode.

9. macdaddy

macdaddy New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    may be time to change the water pump with a $25 water pump kit.....

10. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with this. The alarm is still going off because the sensor thinks the engine is overheating. I bet there's a blockage around the sensor. Remove the sensor and flush through the sensor hole. I bet you get a bunch of sand trapped in a corner.

11. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I believe turning the key off and re-starting is all that is required to reset an alarm. Sounds like you still have a problem and it is doing what it's supposed to.

Too cheap, like me, to pay someone else? Buy a manual and give it a shot yourself.