ALAMO RIVER DON'T BE DECIEVED

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by low desert jonathan, Oct 2, 2009.

1. low desert jonathan

low desert jonathan New Member

State:
    California
    With all the hype recently and catfish tournaments it must still be noted that the Alamo River is just a step or two above a open sewer even though it is a free flowing piece of water. There is no comparing the quality of water in the Palo Verde Blythe area with the Alamo River. The IV has plenty of great fishing spots but the recent hype on the Alamo is a sad deception on what's it's supposed to be. Just because a fish can survive and grow large in a body of water would you want to take a chance on eating one? I've lived and fished in this valley for over 50 years I do know the area and the ALAMO RIVER LDJ:cool2:

2. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I heard the same things about the cats out of the palo verde canal and the ditches in the Blythe area. Hands down if you are going to eat any fish the Colorado River is the best ones to eat. If you are going to introduce people to fishing and have a tournament that does not require a boat and people getting stuck on sand bars as well as easy access for elderly and children - than the canals is the best thing. Not everyone is priviledged to have a boat, so I like to cater to the average person and not just those that have. The recent hype mainly was the various canals like the Alamo, All American. or what ever people wanted to fish in those sreas. Including the lakes and Coachella in that areas. Far more accessible than driving extra miles plus you are catering to the locals. As far as eating fish I am not a big catfish eater so I released my flathead at the Alamo. I done the same thing before at the Colorado when I did not feel like cleaning them. If my family want some cats which they do a lot I will bring them some, but if you notice a lot of hardcore anglers dont care about eating them as much as the every now and then angler that likes to bring them home. Any hype is good hype as long as it brings people together to enjoy a fun activity. The way of the world is so screwed now it is good for people to get out and about and even see the great outdoors instead of sirens and ambulances all night and day. Catching fish for little children and others is priceless to enjoy drama free outting and the outdoors period. Life is too short, just look at all those who did not wake up this morning. Enjoy the moment is all that I say. Thanks to Todd and Desercatrat for showing some great areas to fish in those zones.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009

3. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    What you say?...

Ain't no hype..... Its just fishing.... and for some its eating.... but for most it is recreation... being outdoors....

Look man, (as you well know.)..the worst of the rivers down there is the "New River".... I stopped one day to check it out, and a man pulled over ....off the freeway as it is ending, and advised my wife on the conditions of the water that I was fishing...... Hell, I read about it in US News years ago...... I was just fishing...

Enjoy the rivers while you can.... The water and canals at Blythe and Palo Verde are getting lots of "crap" on the beaches, and its almost time to "reserve your spot"....... Well not really, but I'm sure that some of the locals may rather have fewer folks traapsen through the ditches and drains......

4. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I was advised of the New River by many locals as well as the DFG there. Definitely have to stay away from that. The Coachella and the All American was told to me to be the best waters there for eating fish.

5. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    say what you will,i know this about the alamo too,and there are signs around rutherford rd about the contaminated water .i cpr all of my fish,never keep one of them so that does not matter to me
    there is great wildlife around that area and it is great for the soul to get out and do some fishin
    i posted about the water wuality a while back,and i know a lot of people do eat the flats out of there
    i would and do advise against eating a mo' flat
    it is a goodrecreation area for a lot of fisherman so as long as you don't go swiommin in it you are ok
    think i'll go out to the mo' n do dome flattin soon.
    i love it out there,if yall are tryin to catch dinner,the mo'is a bad bet,go try the canals

6. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Good point Brian. One thing that I can say about the Co River is that it is not for the inexperienced. Unless you have some guidance out there it is not the river to be going up and down. Its dangerous plain and simple. Unless you are a frequent visiter that knows the sand bars and the low area in the Blythe vacinity you may be good. But if you are new to the area or only go there every now and then you can run into problems. Despite how great we know the fishing is, botom line is that very few people fish that at night on the boat. Unless you are with a few people that came with you you may travel that river for miles and not see a sole out there in a boat at night. Maybe even many double digits miles to upper double digits. If something goes wrong, you are screwed. I ran into trouble out there at night with my anchor coming loose and flowing down the river not being able to start the boat. The simple fact that I did not panic plus I knew that I had my phone and could contact others fishing that tournament that night caused me to not panic and solve the problem. The inexperienced person could have ended in a disaster. A few people that even showed for that event a few years ago got stuck on sand bars. Even one for my last one there as I allow both main river and canal fishing for events there was one person that spend hrs on a bar from the main river as the water went down that night. The river is complex which is one reason why I am looking into the Yuma area and other places further south that I was told do not have the drops up and down like Blythe has.

Other wise I am not caught up in River only fishing and I welcome the canals and ditches just as well. I like to move around freely and set up a tent. BBQ. Play cards or bones. Shoot the BS and stuff. A lot of that can not be accomplished by boat fishing. Plus its cheaper as well. It does not take all that money to catfish so why spend more all the time when you can spend less? Take that extra for your child's bank account or something. I still will take the boat out, but I far love the bank and canals more than the boat and main river there. And I had success on both fishing there. That is also the reason why I am attracted to IV waters as well. Highly more convenient as far as bank fishing is concerned. This is not bass fishing showing off who has the tightest and nicest boats, we just want to fish, I save all of that other stuff for another day - mainly solo missions.

Keep me abreast to whats happening on the Mo. We know they have some 80 plus class flats flowing in there.

7. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    i hear ya b,i am thinkin of goin two weeks from today,if you're up to it drop me a line,i have not been since the expedition and im jonesn for some flat
    that peace n quiet the work of gettin bait,settin up on a spot or two,riggin up,bbq'n some brats and the almighty ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ hook up!!!
    that would be oct 16 n 17,holla:cool2:
    ps blue, got me a new truck tuesday,i am mobile an ready for the taytay,hit me up and im in,split gas whatever
    want to learn the blue,you know haw passionate i am about any kind of fishin so i can get dialed an blues with the quickness,kit:cool2:

8. catrick1

catrick1 New Member

State:
    calif.
    I also have lived and fished here in the valley for 50+ years. When I was a lot younger we used to catch and eat fish from the alamo. Not anymore of course but if u want to catch and photograph big flats the alamo is the way to go. The irrigation canals and the all american canal are best for eating. tks Jonathan catrick1

9. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Hey B we will get up on it. I will hit you up about a run on the blues. Those San Diego runs normally start in November and continues thru early April - right before the flatheads season starts back up again. :big_smile:

10. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
  11. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    For sure I seen big cats come out of the Alamo plus seen pictures of 60 to what some has told me 70 pounders from there from the IV tournament. The Alamo is the perfect catch and release river for those enthusiastic about getting a big flat and releasing them. If that happens time and time again you can imagine that possibly even a state record flat could come from there.

B

12. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele

Speaking of areas being fished Ray I had people call me out of nowhere and go as far as looking me up by 411 or yellow pages just to get a tip on what ditch or canal to fish. I have no idea who they are, and some even will say that so and so refered me to you. A lot of them are not even members of boards that I post on, they just see the pics in WON or Fish Taco or something and know my name so they hit me up.That is some of the bad about putting things out like this is that you have lurkers or poachers in a way that want the same holes you fish however they are not friends of yours or even associates, they just want to get something off of you, mainly your hot spot. So in a way I can agree that some of the locals may not want their areas crossed upon, especially when people leave trash behind all over the place. I tend to always clean up my areas when I fish in a way to not tip off that this is an area to fish, but also just not to leave a mess behind. Not everyone is on the same page when it comes to that so you have to be careful.

B

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  13. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Ya, I hear Blue.... been thinking of getting to the alamo... and do a fish trip.... only prob. is that I cant go by my self..... thinking of getting Plumbertom1 to go..... and maybe he can fish the alamo on his kyak and then I can bring him back or pick him up... I'd take my quad and check out places on the bank on the "back roads" and then at least we have some company out there.... lots of water to fish... access is the problem...

Need to do a in-depth recon run....... I'll be down to the "highline" canal on superbowl weekend and do some channel work then..... hell... maybe there is a flat in there too..... haven't seen one on my pole there yet..

14. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    The All American put out some real quality channels last time I was there. I was surprised on what I saw. I do not know the area but I believe it was the eastern part of the AAC before where all concrete work was done. The Highland is a good bet too and I was even told the Tamarack there. Good luck on your outting I am waiting patiently for my San Diego trips after I do the Irvine King of cats next weekend. Otherwise these kids got me beat at work. I feel worse than a overnighter fatique wise when I get home. I been laying down most of the day today. :smile2:

15. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    thank you blue
    the cat rat is on the same page with you ,i look for obscure out of the way places
    i even go so far as to clean u other's trash at a spot
    cus nuthin is worse than pullin up to a spot and see a bunch of trash
    somethin i am passionate about,it really pisses me off
    it's a matter of respct and i a great amount of respect for our fishing spots
    if it was not for fishing i may not be around to talk to yall today
    fishing is not an endless resource,it takes care and consideration and it is fragile
    i do my part to ensure the future of fishing
    ps i too am selective about who i turn on to my bait spots and fishing spots as well
    it is a matter of discretion
    not greed
    i will go out of my way to help out a fellow fisherman if i feel has a true heart and not some poacher
    it is ou rresponsibility to preserve the future of fishing for our sons(blue) and daughters(myself) if we take,take,take ,and litter and disrespect the waterways
    what will be left for future fishermen and women?
    jsut a thought
    it is a shame that the water quality in some of our flathead areas are substandard
    just goes to show the progression and adaptation of the flat,a true survivor and predator
    that is why i'm on the hunt:cool2:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  16. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    ray call me or i/m
    i will go to the mo
    i live in palm springs and do not like to go alone either
    send me an i/m
    i'm in
    the cat rat:cool2:

17. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    For sure Brian. We learn from our mistakes as some people come and some people go. When I first started what I was doing, I was warned about certain things like that happening. Still to this day I have friends that do not post reports on boards or advertise what they are doing, they just fish for fun and serenity. We just have to become a better judger of character as not everyone will have the same intent or passion as you do. Some want to get fish to pose for a bait they are trying to sell or advertise for some other capitalistic gain. I am all for sharing info with people I know or those I interact with on boards especially when I know they share the same passion, but out of the blue phone calls or pms has to have caution. Next thing you know you will see trash all over given spot or it crowded or taken when you arrive. Word gets around fast and fast when you have one person tell someone than that person tells another and then the next and next and next. Its no wonder why hardcore catfisherman are some of the most secretive people out there. :wink:

18. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    for me it's just about goin out an havin a good time an hopefully get some flats
    :cool2:
    thanx for the post ldj and blue ,the alamo is a fun spot,but a no go on eatin
    hope the post reaches those who do eat out of there

19. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Dude if you thought I was talking about you you are wrong. I am talking about pms and phone calls. It has happened. Otherwise go back to your soap box please. If I was ill on you I would not have helped you out by posting what was wrong with the Alamo water. Zeeez brother zeeez. Always some BS with some of you regardless. Now back to the grill again. Dont think you guys are the only people I encountered over the last 15 years sonny. Theres been plenty more after you recently the last year or so that has what to do with what I am talking about.

20. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    For sure B. I know Chad eats the smaller ones from the Mo from time to time also I heard of others doing that as well. Remember that big channel he caught from there. LOL. Big but odd looking. LOL.