Alabama rut

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by rednecksportsman511, Dec 30, 2007.

1. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    I was fortunate enough to get off work today and join my uncle for some hunting on his friend's land right off of Hwy 80 outside of Montgomery. Drove down this morning and I got in the stand bout 8:30 and stayed til round 11:30. As for what I saw in the morning-well I can list the birds for you, but that's all I saw. Weather was nice, bit cooler than they'd forecasted.

I spent the morning in a stand out in a big flat of hardwoods. Since it hadn't flooded this year with the drought, the greenfields couldn't be in better shape. So I opted for the greenfield in the afternoon. Got in the shooting house around 2:30. Saw nothing til the last 15 minutes of shooting light when two yearlings appeared. I put the binoculars on the slightly bigger one to be sure it was a doe and shot her. Didn't hit her as good as I'd hoped, high and right. It knocked her flat down and she got up and ran into the palmettos (oh joy) where I heard her fall. I waited on my uncle to get there and after following a slightly difficult blood trail for a few minutes I found her. So I've got some tasty meat for grilling and jerky, and I took another mouth off the plate.

Anyways, my uncle sat in a stand on the other end of the hardwood flat I was in this morning. Said he saw three running through, one of which had his head down and looked to be a buck chasing does. So if you're hunting in Alabama, I'd expect them to start rutting within the next week and a half to two weeks.

2. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Whenever I hunted south Alabama, the rut would kick-in about the 3rd week of January. The last week was always the best!:big_smile:

3. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    thanks for the info. i hunt in between butler, coffeville, and thomasville. we usually dont get the rut going till the 3rd week of jan. but, with this extremely cold weather, i am expecting to see some of the smaller bucks chasing. 2 weeks ago i saw a couple does at different times, that i was sure were being chased. never saw the bucks, but there is no mistaking that look on a doe's face. congratulations on the meat, and once again, thanks for the heads up.

4. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    yeah i wouldnt be surprised to see the big boys start chasing sooner than normal, today it didnt get above freezing at my place.