Alabama River/Cahaba River

Discussion in 'ALABAMA RIVER TALK' started by YellaCat, Mar 10, 2007.

1. YellaCat

YellaCat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Anyone fishing either the Alabama River below Selma or the Cahaba River below the Hwy 22 bridge? I'm planning on going down for a couple days next weekend and was curious about the availability of shad. I'll be stretching out a few trotlines and I'll need some bait and I hate to buy minnows.

Also, does anyone know if the boat launch near Macs Fish Camp is still passable? Thanks in advance

2. fichere

fichere New Member

State:
    alabama
    sorry to be late ans you but as you probably found out & already know selma is only a coupla miles from there, just walk out on dock & try i catch mine there. hered about a 61 + being caught down river the other day on tight line just below there last week said he was a Blue

3. shane12970

shane12970 New Member

State:
    , North Carolin
    sorry to be late ..but i just joined..i have fished from the bank or the sandy beach right there at the bridge.....i have caught some nice eaters there..also caught some drum, brim and crappy...never had my boat down that far...let me know how u did ..maybe we can get together and go sometime...shane

4. YellaCat

YellaCat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    We ended up catching about 150+ pounds of catfish. Friday afternoon we used shiners and then caught some shad and a couple skipjacks which we used saturday. We caught one bluecat that weighed about 20 pounds and several blues and a couple yellowcats about 8-12 pounds. Friday night and Saturday morning were alot more productive than Saturday night and Sunday morning. The water temp stayed around 62 degrees all weekend. It should rise a few more degrees in the next week or two and they should really turn on. Good luck!

5. wigginsdano59

wigginsdano59 New Member

State:
    alabama
    is that a normal catch?

6. YellaCat

YellaCat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I guess its about average this time of year. If Saturday night and Sunday morning would have been more productive, It would have been a "good" weekend.

7. JTR

JTR New Member

State:
    virginia
    My cousins have a farm somewhere between Camden and Selma on the Alabama River. I saw my first spoonbill down there. I was wondering if many folks still catch those?

8. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i still catch a few spoonbill's here and there. there used to be a whole pile of them around claiborne lock and dam. turn em loose though.

9. YellaCat

YellaCat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I caught 1 spoonbill on that trip. I had a buddy with me that has never seen one so that was interesting to him. We caught them all the time years ago, but not too many now days.

Attached Files:

10. river_roach

river_roach New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I catch a lot of spoon bills up closer to Montgomery. You can see the breaking the water up this way quite often.