Alabama hog hunting

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by kat buster, Aug 2, 2006.

1. kat buster

kat buster New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Ok here it is. My grandpa lives in Alabama and I am a avid bow hunter. I really want to hunt them but have no clue about them. Any advise?

2. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I'd like to do a pig hunt... I have a psycho buddy from Ark. who uses his dogs to help him and his brother hunt pigs. He says that he and his brother would jump down on the pig from a tree or whatever and kill it by hand using a knife...he's got a real nice scar in his thigh to show for it along with pics of his pigs he's killed. I would much rather be at a rifle's distance though! Good luck brother! Watch out for Hogzilla's relatives!

3. jwasted

jwasted New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have been hunting hogs for years in Alabama. My personal best was a Russian boar that weighed 385lbs gutted. The tombigbee river is covered with them. You can bow hunt the core of engineer land and slaughter hogs. I whould suggest going about 3 weeks before you plan 2 hunt and scout. Look for wallows and trees that have been rubed on. The trees will have mud caked on them. the higher the mud is on the tree the bigger the hog is going to be. Find these areas first , then look for trails that will be beat down leading off into bedding or feeding areas. Place a stand off of one of these trails. Then get ready !! areas not hunted much will have hogs moving all through the day and night. Early morning or almost dark seems to be the best times.
    Let me know if you need anymore pointers! I stalk hunt them now to make it more of a challenge.

4. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    If your wanting to come to south Texas there are plenty of cheap hog hunting places to go hunting. $50-$100 per day. Some are bow only and others are rifle. Some places have dogs so you can let the dogs chase em down and then you walk up on em and shoot them or climb on their back and knife em...
    I know plenty of people are looking at this and thinking how cruel and stuff, but hogs are a very big nuisance (spelling?) down here and they do a tremendous amount of damage to yards and crops. Imagine a 1/2 acre manicured lawn and the next morning come out and it look like bulldozers tore it all up. They'll dig holes 3' deep and big enough to cover a small car overnight.
    Anyhow I myself don't bow hunt but I am a avid hunter and I would be more than happy to find you a cheap place to day hunt. Hogs can be hunted year round and are good eating. Russians and Ferals are abundant and you definately won't get skunked. On one lease we had, we went out spotlighting and lost count at 130+ hogs in about a 45 minute drive through the ranch. Let me know and I'll get you the number to some of the places to hunt and you can set it up yourself.

5. jwasted

jwasted New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Forgot to mention that hunting core land is free. You just have to get a daily permit.