Alabama Dept of Conservation press release

Discussion in 'LOCAL ALABAMA TALK' started by CATFISHERMAN001, Jan 7, 2008.

1. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    We catfisherman need to attend the meetings so we can save the large catfish population. I have attached the Press Release with locations of meetings.

Attached Files:

2. CATFISHERMAN001

State:
    ALABAMA
    I can also email it to anyone who cannot read the jpeg I created for this thread. Just let me know and I will send it to you.

3. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i couldnt read the fine print. but, i am pc illiterate so its prolly something on my end. thanks for posting info.

4. CATFISHERMAN001

State:
    ALABAMA
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: Fisheries Section
    January 7, 2008 334-242-3471

MEDIA ADVISORY

Public Meetings on State Catfish Regulations to be Held

The Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources’ Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries Division will hold two public meetings to discuss catfish management and solicit input from the angling public.
    The meetings are open to the public and will be held:
    January 15, 2008
    7:00 p.m.
    Colbert County Board of Education
    1101 Highway 72 East
    Tuscumbia, Alabama 35674
    For information, phone Keith B. Floyd, 256-353-2634.

January 16, 2008
    7:00 p.m.
    Guntersville Senior Center
    1503 Sunset Drive
    Guntersville, Alabama 35976
    For information, phone Dan Catchings, 256-831-6860.

Biologists will discuss results from current research on catfish in the Tennessee River and management implications. Input from the public will be invited.
    For additional information, contact Keith Floyd at 256-353-2634 or Dan Catchings at 256-831-6860.
    The Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources promotes wise stewardship, management and enjoyment of Alabama’s natural resources through five divisions: Marine Police, Marine Resources, State Lands, State Parks, and Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries. To learn more about ADCNR, visit www.outdooralabama.com.

5. fichere

fichere New Member

State:
    alabama
    thanks for info. wish they would in south al. thanks again !!!

6. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    If anyone goes to the meeting I would love to hear of the minutes of the meeting.

7. KatKaller

KatKaller New Member

State:
    Alabama
    This directly affects everyone in the state of Alabama. I wish we could get a huge group to attend. I'll be at the Guntersville meeting for sure.

8. CATFISHERMAN001

State:
    ALABAMA
    Me and my brother will be at the Guntersville one. I hope we have some representation at the other one too.

9. huls1

huls1 New Member

State:
    alabama
    i will to go to the guntersville meeting

10. AlaCatter

AlaCatter New Member

State:
    alabama
    What was purposed at the Guntersville meeting last nite? I had to work so I am kinda in the dark.

11. CATFISHERMAN001

State:
    ALABAMA
    hey guys, I went to the meeting last night and basically all that was discussed was the survey Mr. Holley did from Auburn University on Wilson Lake. Now it was the understanding of all the reason was to determine whether or not the state of alabama needed a regulation law on Blue catfish, however there was a consensus from the alabama wildlife conservation team that there is no need for any such law. All they did last night was go over the data from a 2 year survey taken on just one body of water. There is no future plans to do any other survey's on the other bodies of water.

12. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Hey guys, thanks a million for your efforts on this front. We are fighting the same battle in Missouri. Just a heads up for you guys.

I've received numerous emails from Phil King and a large dedicated group of fisherman from your area. They are vehemently fighting to get legislation passed to protect your Catfish from being transported across state lines and placed into ponds. I'm sure they could use as much help as you can muster up. They are gathering folks together now to travel to Montgomery Alabama to petition the state for laws to protect these great fish.

Heres what they are looking to get changed.

A one fish per day limit on fish over 34 inches in length
    Make it illegal to transport live fish across state lines
    Eliminate the Sale Of Out Of State Commercial Fishing Licenses.

Here is part of my email. Gather up some folks and make the journey to Alabama if at all possible. This is your resource also. If we keep beating on the doors, sooner or later one will open.

I think what you guys are doing is a great thing. You can see we are fighting the same battle in Missouri. If your interested please go to the ALL CATFISHING Thread, and read LETTER TO MISSOURI MODOC which is a petition I'm filing with Missouri.

Good Luck Gents. Fight a good Fight.

Copy'd from email

All,

There is a CAB (Conservation Advisory Board) Meeting at the State Capital Auditorium in Montgomery on Feb 9 the meeting starts at 9:00 AM. You have to register from 8-8:30 if you want to speak to the Board. These are the people that take advisement and actually propose laws to our Legislature for additions of regulations and laws for Conservation for the state. If we don’t convince that board that the laws need to be changed it doesn’t matter how much we talk about this subject nothing will happen!!! We are going to HAVE to go to Montgomery. Every single one of us need to make a commitment to go down there to show that we are the ones that care about our natural resources and how people from other states are exploiting them. Having said that, I do not want to exclude any of our Mississippi and Tennessee brethren in this effort. Even though you cannot vote in our sate you are buying fishing licenses and spending money in Alabama to enjoy the local ( and that means YOUR) resources here and have a right to show your support for protecting those resources. I think it will actually be a plus if you are not from Alabama to come in support and to talk to the board to tell them what the situation is in North Mississippi and Tennessee and the actions that were taken to help try to remedy the problem and how it was almost done too late. We must go now because these Pay Ponders are going to get another summer season out of our Lakes. So there is going to be a significant amount of Big Catfish removed from our waters this year because these laws will take time to make it onto the books. Please don’t let it go another year, day, minute or second before you do something. I’m going to go down if I am not required to be out of the Continental US for my job. If anyone wants to go and can’t afford the gas I’ll understand and you can come over and ride with me. I’ve got an Expedition that will seat 8 I’ll spring for the gas. I know this means you’ll have to take off work. Some may not be able to do that and I understand but I’m sure you take days off to fish just like me so just take one to help ensure that you’ll have a reason to call in sick in 10 years to go to the river. I have twin 3 year olds and they already love going to the river and helping Daddy catch big catfish. I’m sure you do too. Let’s make sure they have some big blues to catch when they’re big enough to go on their own. If you think I’m trying to lay a guilt trip on you well you are right!!! If that is what it takes then fine but I know each of you already feel as strongly about this as I do. I’ll shut up now and get off my soap box. Please tell anyone you can get to go with us. I don’t’ care if it’s your 80 year old Granny we need every single person we can get.

13. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    it would be nice to be in the south