akansas river paddlefish?!?!

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by kansas_catman_16, May 14, 2009.

1. kansas_catman_16

kansas_catman_16 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    :confused2::eek:oooh:i saw i video on KWCH about a paddlefish being caught below lincoln street bridge heres the link http://www.kwch.com/Global/story.asp?s=10344056 i didnt kno they came that far up the river since keystone and kaw resevoir dams:eek:oooh::confused2:

2. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Good way to end up in jail making a video of an illegal fish.

3. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Would love to hear the real story on how they caught it. :wink:

4. catfishfever1

catfishfever1 New Member

State:
    kansas
    a paddle fish will go as far up river as the water will let them to spawn. and kaw lake are full of em so no suprise they are up there with all the water we have had.

5. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    after further investagation it was discovered the fish had its green card. :smile2:

6. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    There goes another "monster" down the drain..:eek:oooh:looks like he is over 100lbs pretty easy

7. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    :sad2::sad2:
    I cant really say what I would like to so I wont say anything at all.
    I hope I dont see him on the river.:smile2:

8. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    ahh come on Kyle! Tell us how you feel. :tounge_out:

9. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    we are family here, let it rip!

10. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I don't understand. Why is the title of the article not "Man gets arrested for catching huge fish?" I was thinking there were only a few waters open to paddlefish season and I didn't think the Arkansas River was one of them. I don't know much about paddle fishing other than you cast out reel in, cast out reel in and hopefully snag one.... but is is even possible to catch them on bait? This guy better not get off cause supposedly he caught it on bait by accident and didn't snag it or something like that.

11. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    From my understanding and this is based off the current state record which I think is still the current world record. They can be hooked via not snagging them but they really do not eat the bait, what happens is they swim by the bait taking in water to filter out the algae and stuuf this is when the bait is taken in, so you really do not get a bite from them they still get snagged it is just in the mouth that it happens.

Anyone correct me if this is not correct, this is what I was told happened to the state record that was caught in Atchison.

12. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Id bet BIG money that it was intentionally snagged. They do it at Lincoln St every year.
    Stupid Bass Turds!!:angry::angry:
    :smile2:

13. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    If thats what it takes to catch them on bait... an accident in the right place at the right time, I just dont' know. I have a hard time believing an accident like that would happen. I have a hard enough time catching a moster fish that I am fishing for, much less one that doesn't even eat the bait I'm putting out there. The chances of accidentally catching one seem so small. My bet is they were probably trying to snag catfish and accidentally snagged a paddlefish.... I could see that kind of accident happening.

14. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    You are exactly right.:wink:

15. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Sure looks like a couple of those wounds could be snag holes from a treble. :sad2:

16. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    A friend and I set at harry for 6 hours flathead fishing a couple fo years ago. We witnessed a guy snag 7 flatheads in 1 hour. Three of the fish looked like they would go 40 lbs. We called the game worden and he never came. Snagging is a huge problem at Lincoln street and fish & game dont seem to mind. By the way all of those flatheads were not released. :angry:

17. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    It happens alot. Especially really late at night. After midnight is when it really gets goin.:sad2:
    I think we should start a task force.:smile2::smile2:

18. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    We need to mobilize Delberts potato cannon !!! :smile2:

19. kansas_catman_16

State:
    Kansas
    :smile2::smile2: i think ur right a few of the people already dont like me down there since wen they snag they accidently snag my line and i snatch there rod in the river:sad2::wink: sorry if anyone thinks thats too harsh :sad2:

20. kansas_catman_16

State:
    Kansas
    and for a little clearification on how it was caught in the mouth so im guessing it was feeding and it accidently swolled the bait but idk i wasnt there but i am upset it wasnt released