Aisan carp

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by tiny b, Oct 19, 2008.

1. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Anyone have any info on how fast these fish are spreading. Read a thread about them and seen a little on them on tv. We don't have them here yet. Sounds like they may be a big problem.

2. trapperP

trapperP New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Just last evening National Geographic channel had a segement about these things in the Illinois River and according to them, they are a serious problem now and certain to get worse. All kinds of things are being tried to control or eliminate them but seems with very little success. I found it strange that they jump when scared, breaking noses and etc as well as jumping in the boat and being clubbed while up in the air! I cannot imagine getting whacked in the face with a 5-6 pound fish while running down the river at about 30 MPH or so - man, that's got to hurt.
    Oh, they are looking for anyone with an idea of how to utilize these things for pet food or the like. Maybe they can find a use for them and then 'overfish' them like they did the redfish.

3. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.

Well if you don't have them down your way yet (your Lucky).They have pretty well taken over the rivers in this area.:sad2:Only thing they are good for is bait.
    Hope you never get them in your area.Once they get stsrted theres no stopping them seems like!!

4. Cliffcat

Cliffcat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    They are spreading fast here in Missouri. They come up the Missouri River and then come up the Little Blue River as far as the dam on Blue Springs Lake. Just below the dam people catch them like crazy, either on worms or by snagging them (mostly by snagging). You are allowed to snag non-game fish as long as you do it only from March 15 through May 15 or from September 15 through January 31. Of the two Asian Carp species common in this part of Missouri (Bighead carp & Silver carp) I have only seen the bighead carp caught. The majority are 2-3 pound fish.

Ralph

5. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    There showing up at Ozark too...:sad2:

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    They have spreaded all the way down to southwestern Indiana where my parent live. This place called Hovey Lake is a huge oxbow off the Ohio River. I'm sure they are in the Ohio River now since they are in that oxbow. In the future they will make their way eastward towards Ohio and into Pennsylvania. Also they will make a southward migration and be in Kentucky.

Flathead catih are considered invasive here in Philly to the point they have devastated the sunfish and bass populations here.

Many people have the same feeling towards the flathead here like you guys towards the asian and bighead carp.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I watched this same program. If someone doesn't find the answer soon we are going to have a major problem.:crazy::crazy:

8. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Don't know which carp ya'll are referring to. Asian carp are a big family. Includes,grass,common,silver,bighead,black,largescale silver,goldfish,and crucian carp. We have the common and grass carp here. As well as sterile triploid grass carp intentionally put here.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    They've been snagging them below Murray L&D here in Little Rock for several years that I know of.

10. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The wabash just over the state line from me had them last year. The deep corner north of the lodi ramp is full of them. I didn't fish there this year, but I bet it's even worse now. They're making their way into our rivers here now. I caught one in a throw net below lake mingo in kennekuk park.

11. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    We need to attack these fish on a biological level. Create a poison, that would only affect this breed of fish. We have selective weed killers, and Pesticides. Why not fish poison?

12. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    These things are a problem and they are spreading fast.