Aisan carp for bait

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by fishingbuddy4, Aug 13, 2006.

1. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Well i tryed it before with no luck but listening to the brothers up by kansas city i decided to try it agian ,went and put in at boonville saturday and went looking for carp alot of them hitting the boat but couldnt get one to jump in,Then took the boat out of gear to light a cig. then BAM right up side the head and down on the floor went a 15 lber never seen him coming ,but he was moving when he hit the side off my head .Well filleted him out and went fishing ,well long story short fished untill 6am today caught a 7,13,16,22,26 blue think i will use it more

2. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    See!!!!! now thats What I'm talkin' about!!! sounds like You had a pretty good day on the river. Next time just keep alert those darned fish can be dangerous.

3. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Robert did you fish the Missouri or come back , to Truman,
    Also, where is the closest ramp on Missouri from 65 and I 70 junction, I know their one on the lamine,
    Thanks
    JIM

4. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Is their any tricks to get the asian to jump or catch them,
    need to get some, not finding the hickory shad, to much anymore.
    Thanks
    Jim

5. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Closest Missouri ramp from 65 & I-70 is probably at Waverly. Though it looks to be about the same driving distance over to Boonville. There's also a ramp at Miami, MO which is on Hwy 41 north of Marshall.

There's another thread here about asian carp with some good tips for finding them.

6. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    Robert..maybe I need to give those nasty things another try..did you skin it and how big were the pieces did you use? Last time I used those things I cut a 1" by 4" out of its side but never got a bite on it. Mind sharing how you used it?

7. roofermike

roofermike New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    Jim, drive your boat behind and in front of the wings dikes, at a little more than idle speed. Saturday morning Aug 12., the suckers were jumping like crazy, had many in the boat and my brother in law got hit full force in the face (damn thing crapped all over his face and back and arms). In between the wing dikes it looked like the sucker were following us because they were jumping everywere including over the boat and in it.

The river rose in Jefferson City, overnight a good 12-18", we were able to put a 30# blue in the boat early sunday morning, along with some smaller one as well using live and cut shad.

8. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Jim,
    if You launch from The waverly ramp and head downstream to Cranberry Bend and find the last kicker (or L) dyke followed directly By a wing dyke. drive your boat behind that wing dyke, and you should find more of those jumping suckers then you'll ever need. They were in there thick when I was out that way Saturday night.

9. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Jim we fished the missouri ,we put in at the ramp on 41 hwy about 20 mile east of 65 hwy,take the 41 hwy exit make a left go over the interstate and make a left the first bridge you come to is the lamines boat ramp is on your right after you cross ,when you put in it is about a 2 mile ride to the missouri,Dave i used a piece about 2 inches wide and 3 inches long on a circle,anytime you guys want to head there let me know.

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    If you trim your motor way up to the top of the water and go around in a fast idle pushing a large bow wave you will get alot more of them jumping. Be extremely carefull though as those things can be really dangerous. I wont do it when I'm on the river alone anymore as its way to easy for one of those things to take you out of the boat and at least to damage some of your expensive equipment. They do make great baits during the dog days of summer like right now. I think you will find they just dont work to great any other time of year.

11. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Thanks guys
    I've got a jet boat , have to see if that will stir them up.
    Jim

12. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    LOL, Jim (Primitivefrn) and I took his River Pro out on the Missouri today to try to catch some of these critters. We docked at Lamine river and made a short run to the Mo. and preseated to go below the wing dams to try to find some.
    The first wing we didn't see any thing and went to the next. A couple carp jumped on this one and were thinkin at least we seen some.
    By the 3rd dike were getting them every where and I'm up in the front chair wishing had a helmet LOL. Jim proceded to do some hard circles in the boat, really stiring the water and at one back water we were at I bet we had 50 jumping at once.
    I think I had more fun today cathing these Crazy things than fishing...
    We finally tied up to fish and after no fish the first set up we got set again up on the second dike showing fish and as soon as we got all set one of my rods went down. Landed a 30 # flathead on a live shad with it tail cut. Only bite we had.
    I told Jim if I carry my 12 guage we could boat a bunch of those carp ......:cool2:

13. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I think the jet stirred them up even better than a prop boat. We had so many going that it was almost down right dangerous. Sure was fun though..... :big_smile:

14. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Thanks guys for all the info. had a great time, put in at Lamine river, had Troy,
    riding shotgun in front seat may have to put seat belts in,seen alot of jumping fish, their sure a big thick body, fish. when a 20lb goes 6 foot in the air , I can imagine what it would be to get hit by them had many run into the side of boat, that will wake you up.
    had two guys wave us down they had found a boat, upside down with the motor still on it bottom fin on motor was broke off, called it in, fire rescue,
    was their in about 30 min. on ski doos a boat in about 45 min, I was impressed on their quick response. good three miles from any ramp, aprox.
    Howard county Missouri's fire dept. rescue, division I think,, hats off to them.
    got to go back to fish the Missouri again,
    Jim

15. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Jim, I'm ready to go there again. Hope who ever was in that boat made it but by the looks of it I have my doubts. I know we didnt want to be the ones to look under the boat to see. I figure they hit the wing dam rocks above where the boat was stuck on the sand bar. And the boat drifted to there and got stuck on the sand. Not good.
    Give me a call if you want to go again this wk. end and I will bring my Helmet and shot gun......:big_smile:

16. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Troy I wont know till friday noon, about sat. should get free sunday,
    boat held 20.2 gals, I thank the lord for that one. When two river rats start,
    running in circles, time flyes and so does gas.
    Done some checking waverly up 13 is 106 miles miami is 114, and Boonville 115, all about the same.
    Does anyone know if one area is better fishing are all about the same.
    Jim

17. worm

worm New Member

State:
    missouri
    Waverly will be busy Saturday night Having a tournament there. Sat night into sunday

18. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Went out for a three hour tour on the Missouri with MrT(Marty) last night, and spent a good hour trying to find bait. Went to a spot that normally has some Silver Carp, but could only get a few to jump and none in the throw net. Second spot was a little 7-8ft deep backwater area seperated from the river by some shallow water. As soon as we got in there with the trolling motor, we could see the tell-tale wakes on the surface. Spent a little while with the throw net, then decided to fire the motor up and stir them into a frenzy. Wow-when we started motoring around in circles, all hell broke loose. We had fish up to 30lbs flying all around us. When they jump out of shallow water, they not only go up-but can cover some distance too. Finally got one to hit me in the back and in the boat she went. Catching bait can be almost as exciting as fishing! It's more fun in somebody else's boat,though.

19. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I hear about those things all the time.Wonder if theres a way to get them if you don't own a boat? pk powell:roll_eyes:

20. roofermike

roofermike New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    Only took me and my brother-in-law about 5 minutes to have one jump in the boat. After 2 or 3 circles behind a wing dike. Also seems like the shad are easier to come by than earlier this year. We caught enough with 3-4 throws to keep us fishing all night. Didn't catch anything big (12 lb blue was the best fish) but had a great time.