Airplane to study water

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by onlyriverfish, Sep 8, 2006.

1. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Been talking for some time but havent is to pay to fly over a stretch of river and look for things seen that might be missed otherwise.
    Has anyone else done this?
    Figure to pick right conditions for reading surface currents would be imp.

Maybe my wife is right about the "obsession":cool2:

2. knapperheadmatt

knapperheadmatt New Member

State:
    texas
    why not get an r.c. plane with a remote camera on it? might be about the same price as hiring a pilot and his plane. there's a guy here that does it and sells pics to land owners at 100 dollars a pop.
    matt

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I just use Google Earth or microsoft terraserver.

4. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    I've actually thought of doing that myself but haven't ever had the extra dollars to do it yet. I have a daughter who has a pilots license but she lives in south Texas. If she ever flys up here I'm gonna ask her to take me for a ride and I know just where we can go. But I don't look for that to be anytime soon cause she has to rent a plane to fly with and combine that with the price of fuel she says it's about the same price as flying her whole family up here by commercial airlines.

5. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Google earth is a good tool once ya figure out how it works. You need to know where you want to look at and you can see how the current flows off of areas and in some places even see sand bars and other stuff.

6. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I used Google Earth to get a general idea about the islands and chutes and whatnot that are on the stretch of Mississippi that I fish. It is great for that but remember that the images are not all that recent. If you check your own neighborhood for recent buildings you will probably not find them. I am not sure how much that effects your fishing research but it is something to consider.

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Good advice. I think it would effect rivers more than lakes. But you should be able to get the general idea and mark some good starting points.

8. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Great idea matt. Had not even thought of that.
    One fear is that it could turn out to be anyother "obsession". The wife would love that! Maybe I could buy her one for mothers day or something. Yeah.

The google earth I understand is up to 3yrs post data updated on a revolving (unknown) time period. Not like its "real time". Sure its still of value as things dont change too much with rock bottoms, there are some days that "reading the river flow" are more favorable than others I have found.
    I dont have HSpeed either:sad2: