airgunning

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by countrycat15, Nov 15, 2007.

1. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    who else on here is into airguns? i have had pnuematics,break actions,but now im saving up to get my first pcp gun.i have decided to go with the theoben rapid s-type in .22 and 23 inch bull barrel,im gonna top it off with some nice glass and give the small game heck.hopfully i will get it shooting at 40-50 fpe. wich is a big jump considering some of my pump guns are onley shooting less than 10 fpe. also lets hear about your airguns,what kind,caliber,and what fpe\fps you are getting also do you have any modifications done to your guns.thanks to anybody that post.

2. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    anyone.....?:tounge_out:

3. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I've got a Crossman Airmaster 66. .177 cal. Pump up. I haven't shot it in a few years now. I used it a lot before i got my .22LR. No clue on the FPS, and the only modification i have is some whiteout on the rifle sights so i can see them in low light (used to do a lot of plinking at the edge of dark). I've thought about using it to hunt squirrels with, but haven't yet. We'll see.

4. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    I have a rws I have shot for years.. I actually know the guy who builds the theoben rifles, he came in my machine shop one day to look a buying a few high percision turning lathes from me, he flew in from england but before he could get back with me I had sold them all..he is in the process of moving his gunshop about 10 miles from me..We have a major air gun competition here once a year..people come from many different countries to shoot in it..

5. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    iv got a 1377 that i have modded and sheridan blue streak c9a that im gunnu send out to mac1 to have a styroid treatment done to it. im gunnu get an hb .22 sometime soon also. im mainly into crosmans, try crosman airgun forum ull like it. :big_smile: :cool2:

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I used to have a Sheridan, but it was stolen. I could pump it up to where the fps were similar to a .22 short. I chose it because it just seemed to me that a pointed front pellet would be much more aerodynamic than a flat-fronted pellet like the Crossman uses. But a friend had a Crossman, and we both killed rabbits at fairly close range with both guns.

7. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    mac1 does some excellent work.his guns are like works of art.i have been thinking about buy a crossman pistol and having him do some work on it. and good luck with that hb.22 hope ever thing works out fer ya

8. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    I have a Gammo that fires a .177 at 1,200 FPS. I found the heavier pellets have more accuracy. Gammo has heavy pellets designed just for a hard punch. They do work. I've killed rabbits at 40 - 50 yards.

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have a daisy 1000s break bbl in .177 with a 3x9 scope on it ,I'm getting 3/8" groups at 15-20 yds at the moment and will be extending the range as it gets broke in more. It is a 1000fps gun.

10. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I have one of these rifles also. Very nice for squirrels and quail.

11. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I used to shoot an RWS in compatition all around the country.it fired .177 but we used comp pellets plus we had a little hand tool you put the pellets through to take the burrs off and make them more areodynamic.Loved it i even coached and taught marksmanship for awhile.

12. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    i have an hb22, its a pretty nice gun. shot mine over the crony and got an average of 410fps with rws superdomes. i believe they were 14.3 grains. not bad for a pistol. my only complaint is the trigger, its a little rough, but other than that i recommend the gun 100%. its a fun shooter.

anybody else into pcps? im planning on purchasing an airforce condor as a christmas present to myself:big_smile:

13. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    ya mac1 sells them and he ll do a trigger job for an xtra 12.50 thats th only mod you can do to it without goin allllllll out :smile2: :cool2: hb.22

14. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    south_va_fishermen,i plane on getting eaither a rapid mk2,or s-type or an air arms just havent decided yet.then ima get the hand pump to take out hunting and shooting rather than hauling arould a scuba tank.lol

15. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    those rapids get all the way up to 80fpe using heavy pellets. from what ive read they are just about the nicest you can get. i looked into the pump for the condor, but if i rememeber correctly it was 75 pumps to raise the gun 100psi. so i think im going to go with a tank. one fill should be enough for a hunt, id think.

16. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    do you have a condor?might have misunderstood(sp) you.heard they are very nice guns.are you seriouse about the hand pump? seems like a lot of work.might as well spend the extra money and get the tank.lol im a member of this site called AIRGUNADVICE.NET stop bye some time my sn is nchunter16. peace

btw- im guessing your getting around 5fpe with the hb22?

17. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    kenny,
    im buying a condor, as a christmas present to myself. the hb22 is rated at 460 fps, but its probably closer to 400.
    14grains at 400fps=4.98fpe. good guess:tounge_out:
    have you heard of yellowforum.com? got some guys on there that know tons of stuff. they could help a bunch with any questions you got. im gonna check out that airgunadvice site too
    take it easy

18. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    yea man i have been on tha yellowforums a couple times.very nice site and lots of good info.just cant seem to get use to how they got tha forums setup,but i will defently register. good luck with tha condor and make sure u post some kills u get with it. have a goodin dude.:cool2:

19. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    what do you plan on hunting with that rapid?

20. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    every thing from squirrles,rabbits,opossem,racoons,turkey,groundhogs,and anything else under 20lbs that steps in to my crosshairs.lol. oh yea also pigons at some local farms.