Aircraft tracking

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Mark J, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Does anyone track aircraft tail numbers?
    It's kind of a micro hobby of mine especially in the winter.
    Search out tail numbers and track them online to see where they are going or where they have been, when and the duration of the flight and the altitude.
    It'll tell you where the plane is sitting and how long it's been sitting.
    What has been fun in the past was tracking team aircraft like for a college. If a coaching position is up for grabs start tracking the plane. You can just about figure out who is being interviewed and when.

Like tonight, I looked up Kurt Bush's tail number and found out he went from Newport News VA to Winston Salem this afternoon. I also saw where he or his plane had been the last couple of days and for how long. They sure get around.

Your more popular drivers like Gordon, Earnhardt, and Johnson will have their flight plans blocked from view usually.

Two sites to get you started are FlightAware.com
    And Celebrityaircraft.com

2. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    i dont know bossman i am scared of flying so i dont have much to do with planes.have you ever tracked 1 when it crashed?

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Cant say that I have but you can pull tail numbers from aircraft that have crashed.
    I love flying general aviation. Not much for commercial flying for a couple of reasons. Some pilots scare the crap out of you on their climb rates to the point the plane feels like it is sliding backwards and I have no control.

In a small plane were there to be a pilot problem I might have a chance :big_smile:
    I passed my ground school at age 16 and got my obervers wings in the Civil Air Patrol at 16. Spent many hours flying around in a Cessna 172. When it came time to solo I didnt proceed. It would have taken money at that point and money I didnt have. My parents weren't offering up any to have a pilot in the family either.
    My cousin here on the farm has a 20 year old son that is a pilot, VFR and IFR rated and is currrently in his second year of Emery Riddle. He'll be a commercial pilot probally hauling goats and bologna in Bolovia or some other dirt spot in an atiquated DC3 or some such other flying crate for 15 bucks an hour. You got to start somewhere I guess.

I swing by the county airport and jot down tail numbers to see who they registered to and where they go.

4. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    might go flying one day i dont know.might fly my wife to florida one day i dont know

5. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    My buddy sent his kid to Germany a week ago and lost track of him over Iceland and was freaked out all night until grandpa called from the airport. :crazy:

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The northern lights:big_smile:

Was he tracking the aircraft?

7. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Thats why he was freakin out, lost track of it over Iceland on the way to Germany.

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Pretty wild taking a tail nimner on a commercial aricraft and seeing how much they manage to keep that sucker in the air in a 24 hour period.
    If it aint flying, it's losing money.

9. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    ok boss dont call me a dumb ars i have a question for ya.what happens to all the planes over the bermuda triangle?

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Read the book:roll_eyes:

11. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    i watched the history channel and many ideas the 1 i agree with is magnetic feilds messing there instruments up

12. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    I like this, kinda neat....

13. dolittle9

dolittle9 New Member

State:
    Lake Wylie, SC
    Mark I do that sometimes it's fun to watch the planes where they are heading and the routes they take also, like to read the FAA reports on the crashes pretty interesting stuff I took lesson and solo but never did my cross country flights couldn't afford them I did rack up 45hrs just local stuff 150 touch & go's in a 150 & 172.... 8 of the 45hrs was night flying

14. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    tell me what you think about this Mark. :smile1: 101_1150.jpg 101_1155.jpg