Air rifle hunting

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by south_va_fisherman, Aug 16, 2006.

1. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    Does anyone here hunt with an air rifle? What do you hunt? What gun do you use? I love too, just wondering who else does.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

tree rats. I recently watched a show on OLN that showed a guy shooting and dropping hogs with an air gun. So I guess if the airgun is a high quaility and power the sky is the limit.

3. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Well, I've still got a .22 cal Benjamin air rifle from my days as a teenager that still keeps the backyard cridder free today. Although I personally wouldn't take it squirrell hunting, it does quite well on them. If it were the only gun I had and I wanted to go squirrell hunting I'd take it for sure though.

4. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Charles;
    First of all, WELCOME ABOARD! :big_smile:
    Second, Yes, I use an Air Rifle. I use it for some of my PCW/Predator Control Work both personal and professionally. When in season, Squirrels and Rabbits are at the top of the list for hunting although I have done the Groundhog, Crow, Dove, ect with the one I use.
    Right now, I am using an RWS Model 48 in .177 cal. I am planning on purchasing one of the RWS Model 54's in .22 cal or .25 cal.
    Over the years I've tried or used the old Sheridan .20 cal/8-pump ARGUH! 8-pumps each shot!!
    Others include, {and remember this is off the top of my head!}, some of the Beeman's, Gamo's, Crossman, Walther, Webley & Scott, a Remington, and a couple of those new "Air Tank" "Air Force" rifles along with a couple of other brands in some of the handguns, I did testing on for people. Beeman's are O.K., depending on which model, what you using it for, and how much $$ you want to pay!
    And, even more so that Rim fire and Center fire Firearms, Air Rifles are more times than not, VERY choosy about what brand, style, ECT of pellet you run through them! Feed it what it likes! You can usually find a couple different styles and weights that will meet your needs.
    As your also probably aware, you should not do any real accuracy work until you have run at least 2500 rounds through your gun and, {in my opinion which many of the professionals in the business agree with because it was their idea to start with}, preferably 5000 rounds!
    The one RWS I had would barely hold inside of 7/8" to 1.0" at 20 yards right out of the box!! That was with ANY pellet too! I kept track of the break in accuracy and here is what I found:
    at 700 rounds the groups were down to 5/8ths" to 3/4's"
    1500 rnds,= 1/2 inch.
    3000 rnds = 3/8ths" to 1/2" leaning down towards the 3/8ths"
    4000 rnds = 1/4 to 3/8ths"
    5000 rnds and current, if I do my part!: 1/4" and less for 5-shot groups! :)
    As you know, to most people that do not shoot air rifles they look at that 5000 round thing and say WHOA!!:eek:oooh: your crazy:crazy: man!!!
    Two things they don't understand. Air Guns are a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT "Animal" that have their own rules, cleaning operations and proper lubricants and all to care specifically for Air Guns!
    In addition, Air Guns also have their own ballistics too! There are some really good, abet large and thick books on the subject of Air Gun ballistics and the tables, charts, mathematics, along with a couple of ballistic computer programs that I am aware of, and all this stuff apply strictly and specifically to them! ONLY!!
    The one other thing that folks whom don't shoot Air Guns do not realize is that 5000 rounds of Air Gun ammo topically less than $100-$150.00 ! :smile2:
    Air Gun Pellets today go through the same R&D that any other Center Fire, Rim Fire, Shotgun, ect, goes through and has specific accuracy machineing techniques that apply just as importantly to them as any of the other above mentioned bullets! The age of CNC and computer technology is just as alive in Air Guns as it is in any other shooting discipline! Thankfully! :smile2:
    However, since you already know all of this I will not waste your time belaboring and repeating what you already know. :smile2:
    I have found that for most of my needs, the RWS line of Air Rifles works just fine for me. You can get a good one for less that $500.00 and I just LOVE that single cocking lever action that only require 1 stroke to fully charge the firing system. These Rifles have a good "Feel" to them and weight just enough to keep my hands steady as I am just not a good enough shot to accurately shoot some of those real lightweights that one can buy. I just wobble too much with them.
    I have the micrometer adjust open sights set as a backup in case I ever have a scope failure. As far as scopes go, if you want to spend 7-800 dollars or more you can have a very high quality Leupold, or some of the European high end models cost that And MORE! Our USD is really taking a beating on the European market and their Eurodollar!:sad2:
    If your looking for something that works well and is a bit less pricey I have found that Air Gun Scopes by BSA to be of good quality and as of this writing, are holding up very well and exhibit really good accuracy and images too. As I recall, BSA has about three models. One is a small fixed power, one is a 2x7 with AO which is what I use most of the time. The final one is their "high end" high powered variable again with AO. This is their "Formal/Target" scope. These scopes are made specifically for Air Guns and have the necessary internal support to deal with the "double impulse" recoil that most of today's Air Guns exhibit.
    As you know, you never use a regular Rim/Center Fire scope on an Air Rifle because over time, depending on how well it's made in the first place, the "double impulse" will just simply shake a scope apart and the factories will NOT honor the warranty because they know exactly what to look for, and where to check and see if any of their scopes NOT made specifically for Air Gun use, has been destroyed by an Air Gun!
    To get back to your question, the largest animals I have hunted have been in the Feral Cat/Raccoon/Opossum sized critters. I do know of a couple folks that use them on up to and including Whitetail Deer and Wild Hog sized critters but I have not gotten up to that level of power yet, although I did get to shoot one of those higher caliber and power Air Guns.
    There is no doubt in my mind that if you stay within the limitations of the Air Gun, such as NOT trying any 300 yard shots as an example, it is easily capable of taking down a White Tailed Deer and more! :smile2:
    I know, for a fact, that such Air Guns ARE available in the CONUS and that they are also made in other countries and are very popular in these countries where the "Right to Keep and Bear Arms" is not enjoyed by the population as is in Our U.S.A.!
    Air Guns are a fun and efficient way to keep your shooting eye and trigger finger sharp for the Fire Arms seasons that come up throughout the year without having to spend a lot of money on ammo and, if fact, I practice across my living and dining room during those cold winter days and nights that I don't want to be going out to the range just to have to shoot in a large bulky coat with gloves on when I can sit in the comfort of my own home and keep my sight picture, eye hand coordination, and such in tiptop shape! With it's low noise signature, it' idea for this purpose!
    However, and again as you well know, Air Guns are NOT TOYS!!! They should NEVER be taken lightly or played with by children OR the adults that have no real knowledge of them!
    Although fun to shoot, they ARE a Deadly Tool capable of injuring, maiming, and killing, a fellow human being just as quickly, just as efficiently as any Fire Arm that burns Black Powder or Smokeless powder!! And, like it's powder burning brothers and sisters, once that trigger releases that sear, there is No Power On Earth that can pull that bullet back!!
    I'm sorry I got a bit long winded!:sad2: I'm sure you already know about everything I mentioned in this post but I thought I would include a few "tidbits" of information about Air Guns for our Brothers and Sisters that may have never even held one!
    I hope this helps you out a bit and answers your questions. If not, send me a PM and I will do my best to answer your other questions or explain any of my answers in a more detailed manner as will most any of the other BOC members!
    You see, I'm not alone in this offer either. You will find that most of our Brother and Sister Members are this way about helping someone. It's one of the important things that separated the BOC, and it's members, from any of the other sites Ive visited yet on the Internet!
    Just remember, ALL you have to do is just ASK! :big_smile:
    Again, "Welcome Aboard", We are GLAD to have ya with us! :big_smile:
    Fraternally, Sincerely, and Cordially,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

5. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Wow!!What a post,chock full of info.
    i just picked up a cheap crossman pump a few weeks ago at a yardsale.
    I agree that its great for keeping the hand/eye in tune.
    One thing I noticed is with the same number of pumps,I get deeper penetration with BB's than pellets.
    I haven't compared accuracy yet.I imagine most shots will be kept to bow distance.....30 yards....so thats what I'll set up in the basement.

That pumping gets old,if I ever upgrade,I'll be sure to check out those 1 pump rifles.

6. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    great topic charles,
    and great post ed !
    ed i will be sending you a pm with some air rifle questions soon
    i looked up the beeman site and theres some good info on the history and
    different calibers of air guns etc. '
    the scope thing you mention i never knew until i read that in the beeman article and now a few weeks later here in eds post.
    wonder how many unwittingly destroyed a good rifle scope mounting it to an air rifle??

7. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    Coyote,

The RWS 48 is very nice! Its the only one I have that's even close to getting broke in and it keeps getting better and better too.

Great informative post, thanks!

Dave

8. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Meriweather Lewis carried an air rifle on his expedition that could take down a deer, the ndians were very impressed.

9. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    coyote1: "As you know, to most people that do not shoot air rifles they look at that 5000 round thing and say WHOA!!:eek:oooh: your crazy:crazy: man!!!"
    I know what you mean, when i got my first air rifle i saw that and thought WOW. After a month I had at least 5000 rounds through it.

Darryl Carter: if you are looking into buying a new rifle here is an airgun forum that i find useful, ask all the questions you need and have them answered. yellowforum.com

10. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    jon nay: with your gun the bbs penetrate deeper because they are steel and stay round. the pellets being lead mushroom out like a bullet, penetrating less. you probably knew that already.

11. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i do for squirrels and rabbits but also in predator to extreme, i hear they use pellet rifles for coyotes fox and turkeys but they are expensive guns!

12. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Coyote, thanks for a great post. If you look in the library you'll find a copy of it there too. Great writing! And thanks to Danny McClure(Fishman) for letting the staff know about this post. Thanks guys!

13. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I can't see spending $500, but I have been looking at some of those $100-150 air rifles that shoot 1,000' + per second. I think they would be great for squirrel/rabbit hunting! :big_smile:

14. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I have had an RWS model 36 in .177 for around 20 years. Except for a few scratches, it is as good as the day I got it. Anyway, I have used it on squirrels, snakes & turtles. It is fair to say that 5000 round limit was met a long long time ago.

The rifle shoots better than I can shoot it. One hole at 20 yards is a given when I shoot from a rest. I found Beman Silver jets and any Daisey pellets shoots well in this rifle. However, I find the recoil a little too much.
    Some will not believe it but I have had a bruised shoulder more than once.

As far as ammo is concerned, there is something to be said for getting 500 rounds for less than $10. There is a new pellet out that has a steel BB in the nose. I think I will give it a try.

However, if I was buying a new rifle tomorrow, I would get it in the .22.

Robert

15. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    One heck of a bunch of good itdeas and articles.
    Thanks
    Bill

16. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    So what has the edge for small game hunting.Haven't compared accuracy yet.

17. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    pellets. dont use bbs all they will do is penetrate skin and not provide any shock. i always use domed pellets and go for head shots when hunting small game. by the way pellets are usually more accurate in most guns. what gun are you shooting? good luck

18. CatfishRocky

CatfishRocky New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i hunt with my pelit gun all the time i shoot a 177 cal power line pelit gun it shoot at 850fps but i bust it up with a pelit called a rapter it bust fps 25% so it shoot 1000fps its a dome pelit it nice. it rolls thim tree rats all seasin i love it good luck u guys later

19. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Well heck fellows, you've done it now. I am looking to buy a new airgun if I
    can figure out what to buy. I am leaning towards the 22 as of now but I guess a 17 cal could work. My gosh there is a lot of new guns out now that I
    never heard of. But I'm learning and will buy one soon.

20. young catfisherman

young catfisherman New Member

State:
    ohio
    sqrals, birds i dont no notin big game