Air Fuel Problem??

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by KansasKatter, Jun 24, 2008.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    OK, my outboard is giving me fits again. It is my fault for letting it sit between uses like I have while building the house and trying to get everything else on the house done, only getting used once in a great while.

It runs fine in the driveway, and on the ramp, and will idle fine. Problem is as soon as you put it under load, it just bogs and dies.

Last time out though I did notice this. If I hold my hand over the intake of the carb, limiting the airflow, it runs like a stirped a#* ape!

Does this sound like an air fuel mixture problem? I have messed with the screw for that, until I am blue in the face, with not much success. It is almost easier to hold my hand over the intake.

It is a mid 80's ( I think 86) Mercury 25hp tiller. I have used seafoam and stabil in the fuel, but I did start it with some dirty fuel in the beginning of the year, I know, I am a stupid a##! :embarassed:

Any advise will be appreciated!

2. cattoon

cattoon Member

State:
    alabama
    when you cut down on air it richens the mixture enough to burn, pull carb. remove bowl on carb and remove any jets you can see spray well with carb cleaner and then use seafoam deep creep and spray liberally and let sit and if you see any clogged ports on the jet/jets clean with a piece of wire or a torch tip cleaner. blow carb clean with compressed air and re-assemble use new fuelmix with 2 oz of seafoam fuel treatment per gallon and go from there. this has cured my problems with a yamaha that I neglected long enough for it to get mad at me and not run I have decided to keep that little motor happy and purring that I'm going to take it out at least twice a week:wink:

3. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I wonder if I can convince my wife that is what needs to happen?? :wink:

Thanks for the info, I was afraid that is what I was going to have to do.:eek:oooh:

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Jeff, cutting down on the air has nothing to do with making it rich enough to burn.

What you're doing is choking it, pulling in gas from a different carb circuit, and yes, you need your carb cleaned. Do not use torch tip cleaners in any orifice.

You can use smooth thin wire though.