air conditioner quit

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by gottagetabigun, Jun 6, 2008.

1. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    i have ben married for 15 years. our air conditioner quit working today. the thermostat i could hear it click so i xed that off. the fan would kick on so i xed that off. the breaker wasn't blown so i xed that off. i checked the fuses and they were good so i xed them off the list. i did every thing a novice handyman could do to keep from calling a repair man. so i called four repairmen. one finally called back around 6:00 pm. he came over i explained what i had done(being proud of myself) so he got out the guages and what not and he come to the conclusion it was my thermostat. yeah it clicked but it wasn't engaging. so he proceeded in trying to sell me one for $105. i said i'll go to lowes tomorrow and get one. servce call $85. on a fri. afternoon, money well spent. it was only 85 degress but 90% humidity. now you notice my first sentence i stated how long i have been married. if my a/c would have been out over a couple of days i think that might have been it. it is amazing what pi**es you of when its so hot. my wife and i seldom get into an argument. today i seen fangs come out of her mouth and i scratched my head and i'm sure i i felt a horn trying to poke out of my "thinning head" its all good now we have a/c.

2. ho_shi

ho_shi New Member

State:
    Texas
    i just spent 85 my self on a cvx?? think that what it is luckily i got a ac man who is close friend and he didnt charge me for puttin it in or and freon (had to drain whole system) but takin him fishin cpl times lol

y is it everything ac wise costs 85??

3. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Mine is limping along, it's 13 years old. Can't seem to keep up anymore when it get hot. It's been mid 90's this week and it can only keep the house about 80 during the middle of the day. It has a full charge in it. Will see if it will get me through this year but will probably have to get a new system for next year...

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Randy its always HOT when they go out. Listen to the wife so she don't get HOT at the same time. Get it fixed. Good for your health. More ways than one.:smile2:

5. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    Well, you arent alone with a/c probs. We been without for a good little while tryin to figure it out w/o having to call a repairman.. come to the conclusion (with the help of a friend who knew a thing or two bout them) that the capacitor has gone out... supposed to be less than $20 to get new one. Hope this is the problem and it is fixed.... too dang hot to not have some kinda air goin. Goodness I really feel for those that suffer thru the heat w/o something. My prayers really go out to them.

6. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Our Rheem central air at the farm went out at the end of last summer. Found the condensed fan wasn't running and located a busted fan capacitor. I recently replaced that capacitor. I couldn't believe the cost. $1.32! I asked the parts salesman if I heard right.. he also didn't believe the price and checked with his boss, said that was right. Now days you don't get nothing for that price. :eek:oooh:

I'd priced the same capacitor on the internet and they were from $8 to $20 plus shipping.

The unit is 32 years old but still cools great. Very inefficient but we are only there a few days every few weeks.

7. Kat-tamer

Kat-tamer New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The A/C in the living room about freezes us out. Sitting here in a blanket now. All we have is window units.

Today, 90 degrees, 80% humidity, the bedroom A/C finally gave up. It's old.
    guess I'll try to put a fan in the hallway, maybe it'll push some of the cold from the living room into the bedroom!:cool2:

On the bright side....we'll save some $$ going without a second unit running.:eek:oooh:

8. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I had to shut the AC off early this morning, I was freezing but it`s better than waking up in a puddle of sweat. LOL!!!

9. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    REMINDER:

Don't forget to clean or change your A/C filters depending on the type. Dirty filters are a big cause of sub-standard cooling and folks don't tend to keep up on that maintenance.

Another thing to do every spring is take the garden hose and clean your condenser coils on your unit outside, they may look clean but they are not, the dirt accumulates on the inside of the coils (look down through the top and you'll see. At the very least spray your hose from the outside onto the coils to blow off the dirt and fuzz on the inside of the coils. if you are the handy type, disconnect the power and remove the top to really get to it. You can also buy coil cleaner fairly cheaply to spray it with first, then hose it off, does a much better job. Evaporator coils can be cleaned the same way.

If your fins are damaged straighten them out. You can also buy a fin comb fairly cheaply too.

Good Luck and stay cool!:big_smile::cool2:

10. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Funny how a person gets pampered with time. I grew up in a home without a/c, all we had was window fans. Everyone worked outside and we didn't come in till darkish. After all us kidlets left home, pop broke down and bought a/c.
    I have seen my central unit run heat and a/c in the same day and theres basically something wrong with that picture. Oh well, i guess i've gotten soft and pampered in my ole age.:smile2:

11. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    You had fans, you were lucky..... I was 13 years old before we got electricity. At 22 we got our first swamp cooler. That was all we needed in west Texas. Got our first refrigeration air unit when we moved to AR and built a new home 15 years ago. :big_smile:

12. JRicker

JRicker New Member

State:
    Tenessee
    Had to replace the blower motor on my AC last year

13. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Why when I was a kid, we were sooooo pooooor, all we had was those hand fans you got free at the funeral home. Then if you wore it out or lost it, you had to wait until someone died to get another.

:smile2::smile2::smile2:

Now would I lie????:smile2:

14. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i heard cody hart (pro bull rider) say one time he thought he could ride Godzilla if you could load him in the bucking chute. i bet mister hart couldn't make the first jump on my wife in a house without AC.

15. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I like A/C when it's time to sleep, but other than that I'd rather leave it off. It's amazing how long a short trip inside for a glass of water gets extended on a hot day when the A/C is on:smile2: I find I get a LOT more done if I leave it off until around bedtime. If it's just as miserable inside as it is out, I'll spend more time outside doing something useful instead of soaking up the cool air inside:wink:

16. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I just thought of something else. You know sometimes those funeral homes would be giving out yard sticks or fly swatters, boy it's real hard to try and use them for a fan.

:smile2::smile2::smile2:

17. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    "Why when I was a kid, we were sooooo pooooor, all we had was those hand fans you got free at the funeral home. Then if you wore it out or lost it, you had to wait until someone died to get another."

When I was a kid, we were so poor that both floors of our house had dirt floors!!!! LOL

I've worked in HVAC for a long time. Here are some things that will keep your units running and save you money. If you have window units, the biggest thing that messes them up is trash in the coils. Every year, take the metal covers off them and hose them out real good with the garden hose. (Let them dry out before plugging it back in.) I have 6-8 of them that I was given for free because they didn't work and the owners threw them out. I cleaned them out and they are working just fine.
    With central air, the biggest (most costly) problem is compressors going bad. At the first sign of a problem, turn it off and have the refrigerant checked. Oil in the freon lubricates the compressor. If it gets low, the system will "short cycle", and the compressor will burn up. It's the same with car units. Have them checked every year and they will last a long, long time.
    Stay Cool Folks!

18. JRicker

JRicker New Member

State:
    Tenessee
    most of the times ive tried tp jump on my wife I get bucked off in the first few seconds:sad2:.............
    realyy though an ac does spoil you

19. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Checked every year? :eek:oooh:

Have had car air conditioning in our vehicles since 1962. Not once ever had one "checked". Only problem over the years, I had to add freon to a couple of them.

As I posted below, the central unit at our farm is 32 years old. The only service in all those years was to add freon twice. I replaced the bad condenser fan capacitor and a low voltage wire under the house that the pack rats had chewed into.

Our present central air is 15 years old and I had to have freon added to it once after it started freezing up.
    On home units, I keep the filters changed and clean the condenser coil every year so I suppose that's "checking".

20. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    The following comment is from a recent and ongoing experience.

Be thankful that it was not your wife's Cell Phone that went out.She would have used those fangs.ON YOU!I am hoping that I can survive until the replacement arrives in the mail!

I live you brothers and Sisters.peewee