Air Beds for the Home (anybody got one?)

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by T-Bone, Feb 12, 2006.

1. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Hey Guys and Gals. My wife wants one of those Air Beds for the home. I'm not talkin' about one you carry camping or blow up when ya have guest over. I'm talkin' about one that cost $1500- $2500.00. I'm not sure I'm ready to spend that kind of money on an air bed. I've been reading up on two different models. Both are about the same but way different in price. If anybody has one please tell me your thoughts on it. PM me or if the mods will let ya please post which brand you have and how well ya like or dislike it. She's ready to buy now but I'm thinkin' that's alot of money for a plastic foundation and some foam and two air matts. We both agree being able to set the firmness is the best thing, but is it worth it ?

2. Kentucky357

Kentucky357 New Member

State:
    Covington, Georgia
    Your talking about the "Sleep # bed" My wife is buggin the crud outta me about getting one!! Anyone got one and think it's worth the 2000???

3. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i like the looks of the space age foam mattress you can set a glass of whatever on one side of the bed and jump on the other and it
    doesnt even move the glass!!!!
    i need one i tire of being slammed for rolling tossing and turning
    also the select comfort .
    paul harvey said you can try the select comfort for free they will deliver it and you can try it for 90 nites!!!!! hey go for it and if you like it its there and you just pay or make payments if you dont like it they will remove it free

might wanna research a little before dropping that kind of jack down.

4. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    The sleep number bed has a great web site but the price is pretty steep. The sleep better bed is about the same thing but the price is way better for the same bed. Not much info on the sleep better bed but the reviews are mixed on the sleep number bed. This is why I need y'alls thoughts on the bed.

5. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    order me one and i'll sleep on it LOL
    give you a full report tomorrow:p

i'm afraid the only way i will get a bed that has different
    firm ness on either side is if i put a half sheet of plywood under half the mattress. and crop a spring or two on the other half.:rolleyes:

6. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    A friend of mine and his wife has one. They liked it at first but later they said they didn't like adjusting each side differently. Course they both sleep all over the bed. They dont care for it much anymore. Paid bout 2K for it.
    I have slept on a water bed for many many years. I also slept on the camping style air mattress. They are ok for camping. We had to get rid of water bed. It was just too hard on my back.

We tried a lot of mattress and ended up with a huge king size firm with a nice pillow top mattress. It has springs in it but designed so we dont feel much of the others movement.

Its a Simmons mattress. Right now I can't remember the exact model. Bought it from a place called the Bedroom shop. It did take a couple weeks to get use to it.
    We love it. Man it makes a difference on my back.

Really its what feels the best to you. What ever I was to buy and spend that much money on, I would be sure I could exchange it in 30 days if it didn't work out. That is what they did for us. Ours cost almost 2K. I say get what you like the best. The older a person gets, the more you feel past hard labor on them bones. I like my sleeping. LOL.

7. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Thanks Dano, I've been on a waterbed since I was a kid. I know what ya mean about the back. Mine is killin' me. Wife grips that I move around to much. She thinks we will sleep better if we have each side set the way we like it and me moving around won't bug her.
    Both makers of this kind of bed have a return in 30 days for refund + return shipping of about $120.00. She seems to think it's worth $120.00 to find out. I'm not so sure about that. $120.00 could go along way on my jon boat project (rod holders:) )........
    She gets off work in an hour and wants me to meet her at the mall to check it out first hand:eek: ......
    One thing about the sleep better bed I don't like is ya can't see one first hand, it's a mail order deal. But the price is about $500.00 less than the sleep # bed.

8. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    My buddy at work has a sleep number bed...he says it's the best money he ever spent. He had back surgery...and couldn't sleep worth a flip on his old mattress. He got the sleep number bed...and says it's awesome.

My wife has been bugging me to get one too. I haven't told her what my friend said...and I'll be hiding this thread from her too...Lol.

9. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Hey Brian, I'll be hiding this post also (lol). Thanks for the reply.
    Well I jacked around long enough that the bed store was closed:evil-big: ....
    Then the wife tells me, she's off tomorrow:crying: .... But she said she will wait for me to go with her. (thank ya Lord).....

10. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    T-bone I know you got a Bedroom shop in Dallas. If you got the time check it out. Heck you probably got 2K places that sales beds in your area. LOL. I Know how big Dallas/Forth worth is. Been their countless times. LOL. I hope you find something easy that both enjoy. LOL

11. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    We got one of the Select Comfort bed earlier this year. I no longer wake up with back pain anymore and sleep pretty well. It did take a while for my back to readjust to this mattress but it was worht it. I like the fact that if my back is really hurting I can lower the number for a softer feel.

12. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    instead of dropping 2 grand down on a bed that has individual firmness i would look into a lucy ricky setup:p

13. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    We bought one of those NASA foam Mattresses and we love it. I can't feel her move, and it is warm and snuggly, and I sleep all night.

14. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Shawn, is that the memory foam mattress?

We have one of the thick pillow top mattresses made by Englander and it is the absolute pits!!!:mad: It is supposed to have a life time warranty but we can't even get them to call us back or E-Mail us. Major mistake for us, we sure wouldn't recommend this bed to anyone. We have heard good things about the memory foam mattresses and hope one day we can get one of those, if it would work for us.

15. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Jim, yes it is one of those. It is not the one on TV, I've been sitting most of the day thinking about what it's name is Thera someting. Anyhow mine is a simmons or serta. It is very thick, very heavy, no springs very warm. I stayed in an upscale hotel before Christmas, and rented a house in Fl, over Christmas and was never so happy to get home to my bed. It wasn't 2k either. I think it was 11-1,300.00

16. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Thanks for the replys guys. Everyone so far that I've talked to tells me they have way less back pain now using the select number bed. The reviews on the net are split. We are about to go look at this bed. I'm with Dano and DRC on this one but the wife is really wanting this bed. Maybe if I go ahead and do it, then I can finish my jon boat project with no lip from her. LOL (will it's a thought anyway). Wish me luck guys !

17. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well That sounds like a win win. :)
    Sweet dreams and dont let the bed bugs bite.

Good night John boy:p

18. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Well guys , I done went and done it now..... Get this.... I didn't even get to bring it home. They have to ship it to ya. Total cost (free shipping) with bed, foundation, legs one pillow (guess who got that and it wasn't me), one set of sheets plus tax $2451.80:eek:
    The best thing is it's no payments no intrest for 18 months and if I don't like it within 30 days they will take it back. Now I will have to pay shipping to send it back (somewhere around $150.00). The wife says it's worth $150.00 just to try it out.
    So tomorrow, I'll bring home a $150.00 fishin' pole and tell her it's worth that just to try it out !:evil-big:
    I guess this thread will turn into how well I like or dislike the bed, instead of does any one have one of these beds.

19. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    You got off pretty cheap..I think ours was even more. But we got the top end model and two of those new pillows and sheets and such. I am such a redneck...even my bed comes with a wirless remote control. LMAO

20. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Tbone I know you already purchased , but I have some friends that bought a select comfort bed 3 years ago and they still love it.