Aim at independence of thought

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Netmanjack, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    "There are some men who go in leading strings all their days. They always follow in the path of others, with no good reason for their own opinions. Independence of mind is not presumptuous self-confidence, which is the associate of ignorance; but it is a modest yet firm exercise of judgment upon subjects which the mind understands, — the opposite of that slavish habit which makes one man the mere shadow of another."

John Stoughton - 1807 > 1897

:wink:

2. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm not qualified to comment on that.

3. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Huh ?

4. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    So..........what's your point Lad?

I've known men to be slaves to many things and yet they are independent of thought. Mostly independent of any thoughts. LOL.

Jack, I realize it is Halloween. Now that you have given the trick, when ya gonna give us the treat?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    There's no trick to it John, but it is possibly tricky to achieve results. It's merely a machination to disengage the involuntary knee jerking of many young acquaintances of this board through cerebral massage in stead physical severing the femoral nerve. There in lies the treat, or do you think it to sweet a morsel. Perhaps I think too much about others not thinking enough. :crazy::cool2::smile2:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  6. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    It means, think for yourself and draw your own opinions based on your own intellect. Do not be a sheep.