Ahhhh Memories!!!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Catgirl, May 22, 2009.

1. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I posted this a LONG time ago (tried to do a search but search isn't workin' at the moment); came across it in some of my notes today. A lot of this reminds me of summertime....and it sure can't hurt to read it once again, and remember the carefree days of childhood - especially considering the times we are experiencing. Hope you like it (originally came to me in an email). I must admit, a few of these things were after my time. :big_smile:

Ahhhh memories! Close your eyes...and go back...before the internet or PC or the MAC...before semi-automatics and crack...before Playstation, SEGA, Super Nintendo, even before Atari...before cell phones, CDs, DVDs, voicemail and e-mail...way back...way...way...way back.

I'm talkin' 'bout hide and seek at dusk. Red light, green light. Red Rover, Red Rover...playing kickball & dodgeball until the first....no second...no third street light came on. Ring Around the Rosie, London Bridge, Hot Potato, Hop Scotch, Jump rope, Duck Duck GOOSE!!!, YOU'RE IT!!

Parents stood on the front proch and yelled (or whistled) for you to come home - no pagers or cell phones.

Mother May I?, Hula Hoops, seeing shapes in the clouds, endless summer days and hot summer nights (no AC) with the windows open. The sound of crickets. Running through the sprinkler. Happy Meals; cereal boxes with that great prize in them. Cracker Jacks with the same thing. Ice pops with two sticks you could break and share with a friend.

Watchin' Saturday morning cartoons.....Fat Albert, The Road Runner, The Smurfs, Picture Pages, G-Force and He-Man, Schoolhouse Rock (Conjunction junction, what's your function?). Watchin' Sunday morning oldies (Abbott & Costello, Three Stooges). Wonder Woman & Superman Underoos. Fonzie...Ayyyy. Playing Dukes of Hazzard.

Your first day of school. Christmas morning. Bedtime prayers and goodnight kisses. Jumpin' on the bed, pillow fights, sleepovers. A 13" B&W TV in your room meant you were RICH. When your parents took you to McDonald's and you were COOL.

Catchin' lightning bugs in a jar. Climbing trees. Swinging as high as you could to try and reach the sky. Getting ice-cream off the Good Humor truck. A million mosquito bites and sticky fingers. Jumpin' down the steps, running till you were out of breath, laughing so hard that your stomach hurt. Being tired from PLAYING. Kool-Aid was the drink of the summer; so was a swig from the hose. Giving your friends a ride on your handlebars.

Rainy days at school meant playing "Heads Up 7UP" or "Hangman" in the classroom, remember that? Class field trips with soggy sandwiches. When being sent to the principal's office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited you at home. Basically, we were in fear for our lives but it wasn't because of drive-by shootings, drugs, gangs, etc. Our parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat! And some of us are still afraid of 'em!

When nearly everyone's mom was at home when the kids got there. When a quarter seemed like a fair allowance, and another quarter, a MIRACLE. When ANY parent could discipline ANY kid, or feed him, or use him to carry groceries...and NOBODY, not even the kid, thought a thing of it. Work meant taking out the garbage or doing the dishes.

Your first crush...your first kiss.

Decisions were made by going "eeny-meeny-miney-mo" and mistakes were corrected by simply exclaiming, "Do over!" "Race Issues" meant arguing about who ran the fastest. Money issues were handled by whoever was the banker in "Monopoly". It wasn't odd to have two or three "best friends". Being old referred to anyone over 20. Nobody was prettier than MOM. Scrapes and bruises were kissed and made better. It was a big deal to finally be tall enough to ride the "big people" rides at the amusement park.

Getting a foot of snow was a dream come true. Abilities were discovered because of a "double-dog-dare". Spinning around, getting dizzy and falling down was cause for giggles, and the worst embarassment was being picked last for a team. Water balloons were the ultimate, ultimate weapon. Older siblings were your worst tormentors, but also your fiercest protectors.

If you can remember most or all of those, then you have LIVED.

Pass this on to anyone who may need a break from their "grown-up" life.

I triple dog dare ya!!!

2. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    ya mean yall dont do that any more man yall must be sheltered or something turn the cell off or leave it at home and do all these things and have a ton of fun no matter how old ya are especially hide n seek

3. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Brandon, I was GONNA say "Well, at least he said SHELTERED instead of OLD".....but then I read the rest of your sentence. :tounge_out:

I still do a lot of those things too :big_smile:. Tryin' to fit as much into the next few years as I can, 'fore I start goin' down the other side of the hill. :smile2:

Mmm....banana twin-pops. Might have to run back to the store. :wink:

4. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Did you mention, Grandpa takeing you fishing? That was a fond memory.

5. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks for all those memories, plus stirring up some others. Do you remember getting ready for the 1st day of school in the fall, & getting all those new supplies? Crayons, pencils, new note pads, glue. And the new school dresses? My mother made almost all my clothes, & I remember being so excited by the materials & trims she used on them.
    Riding bikes down the middle of the street, & when...rarely...a car came, somebody would just holler "Car!", & we'd all move over til they passed. And climbing trees....just because...and sitting in them by yourself. Picking mimosa flowers off the trees; watching locusts come out of their shells at dusk; listening to the sound of the attic fan at night & sleeping close to the window to feel the breeze. Mud pies!!! Catching frogs! Coloring in new color books.
    And, as you said...Banana twin pops! Those were really good!:wink:

6. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Tanya you have a magical way with words ,reading your stories an post it,s almost like being there an doing that stuff yourself ; please keep them coming

THANK YOU for the joy of reading them ,an bringing back memories from the past :cool2:

7. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Glad you enjoyed it Dickie, I like it too.....but I didn't write it; that's why I mentioned I received it in an email. I don't know who the author is, wish I did.

8. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    This is funny! My sister and I were just talking about The Good Old Days last night!:smile2:

9. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I remember alot of those things,thanks for the memories,wish I could go back it was a much happier time and place.:smile2:

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Best of all,Back then we were young enough to have nary a single worry . But maybe a few that wouldn't amount to a hill of beans:wink:

11. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Roxie, great post sis. My grandmother made our dresses, my mom's about as much of a seamstress as Popeye's a real sailor man. :wink:

Somehow I missed the part about the attic fan earlier! Can't believe that, that's a great memory of mine as well, exactly the way you describe it :cool2:.

12. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The sound of june bugs hitting the fan, lol. bzzzzzz-CLUNK. :eek:oooh:

My neighbor wrote this piece, I'm sure.

13. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    great point now it should be us takin our grand parents fishin if we can and tanya ya missed the best one paintin easter eggs and huntin em as well and playin in the mud without any worries and mud pies and what about snipe hunting lol that usually ended rather funny

and another is not worry about the bills or anything like that just being a kid and loving life our biggest worries were what the grades on the report card said and if they were bad how long ya could hide em

14. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Perhaps THIS will bring back a few memories... it did for me...:cool2:

15. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Jeb, those are all beautiful cars. They sure don't look like that anymore; they had class, style...and character. Thanks for posting that.

16. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Jeb, owned a few of these back in the day. Five dollars worth of gas-all the fellas chipped in-and a case of "bulk" oil and you were set for the week end. AHH those were the days. Thanks for the memories

17. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Aint a day goes by Tanya that I dont wanna chuck my cell phone into the lake toss this puter out the window and go back to the way it was. I dont depend on todays technology as much as I did a year or so back because Ive grown quite reserved and toned my behavior down a ton in the past two years. I like spending my days on the lake before work reflecting and thinking about all sorts of things. Those days may be gone but they are never far from my mind.

18. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    this is why i'm glad you are back on the site sweetie. absolutely great post.

19. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Jeb, that 2nd car reminds me of My First New Car.
    In fact, it was my first car. :wink:

20. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Boy, Now that brings back memories. Seems the older i get the more I can remember the things i've done as a kid. But to ask me what I done last week, I get the ""deer in the headlights"" look. Looking back now as a borderline old fart, Being a kid sure was fun!!

Great Post Tanya!!!!!!!!!:wink: