Ah, it is just paperwork:

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by postbeetle, Nov 27, 2007.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If any of you follow my writing antics on here you have heard me mention my Pop. Dad died in 1996, and maybe like many of you and your Dad I never really "knew" him. A man of few words and short on tales of his life. Quiet, unassuming. A normal Joe. Reminds me of the picture of the guy in another thread who caught the record Iowa catfish that has been up recently.

Since my Mother died this spring my sisters have continued to open boxes and cases of Ma's and Dad's personal lives when they have time or are in the mood. Ma saved everything and anything. Thanksgiving day my sisters gave me a packet they had found of some of Dad's military papers. His discharge papers and military history. Just paperwork and a lot of it. I opened that stuff earlier tonight and have just had a chance to go through it.

Some of it-
    Enlisted Record and Report of Separation- Honorable discharge.

Notice of determination- unemployment compensation = 52 weeks @ 20.00 bucks a week

Army of the United States- Separation Qualification Record

United States Army, Quartermaster Corps- Certificate of Proficiency For School of Bakers and Cooks.

Dad got drafted at the start of the war. They medicaled him out because his feet were flatter than a laser beam. Instead of staying home like so many did he volunteered. They turned him down. He volunteered a 2nd time. They took him. Sent him to basic in Florida. One story he would tell.

They took a launch of folks out into the Gulf pretty close to Upchunkers stompin' grounds. Our family, none of them can swim. We are like the proverbial rock in water. They lined them up in rows and told them to swim to shore. My Dad said he would drown. The Sgt. laughed and said the salt water would make him float like a cork and pushed him overboard. He sunk like a rook off a roof. He got to ride the launch back in after they drug his rear end back aboard.

Barracks: He would tell of two guys from California who nightly would get on opposite end of the barracks and throw bayonets at each other, catching them like circus performers, daring people to step into the runway. He liked that.

Cooking: he went to Ft Williams Maine for cooking school. I didn't know Dad was a good cook, just never did it after he got out. Several stories (many) here but one that always comes to mind. Eggs. They always had a lot of eggs. A hundred dozen for this, fifty dozen for that. The number of baby chicks, up to the point where they were feathered that went into scrambled eggs was amazing. Plus some other stuff that would make you throw up.

Yes John, the papers the papers. Get to why you are writing this. Okey Dokey.

I didn't know he was in Continental service for 2 years and 4 days.
    I knew he was in foreign service but not for a year, stationed in Iceland.
    I didn't know he was a Cpl.
    I didn't know he was a marksman with carbine.
    I didn't know he was qualified to drive wheeled vehicles to 2 1/2 ton.
    I didn't know he was an electrician.
    I didn't know he wired tanks in Indianapolis.
    I didn't know his right thumb print was that big.
    I didn't know his separation base was at Westover field in Massachusetts.
    I didn't know his dog tag numbers.

On and on. Just papers. Just Govt paperwork. Just personal stuff. I know that many of you on this forum are or have been military. I know better than you realize why you don't talk about it. I know that once you are out, you leave that as far behind you as you can, at least publically. Save the junk, put it away, don't look at it. You have earned the right to forget. But leave it for someone else who might care gets a chance to see it.

John.

2. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have trouble with paperwork too. I uploaded a picture of Dad. Thought it would come up. It is floating out there in the ether somewhere. Probably over in small engine repair. If any of you come across it send it back. Will try again here. Thanks John.

3. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Morning John, did your father save his uniforms? My wife made me keep my dress uniform. Ive tried twice to throw it out, but got caught. My dear wife is a bit of a pack rat.

4. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yes, Ma saved everything too. Have his uniform, ties, caps, salad bars, funeral flag. Nancy bought a coupla neat shadow boxes that when we get time will put all that stuff in. Won't bring him back obviously, but it will be neat seeing him again.

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I regret not savein my military items. The only thing I still have is my steel pot. Ya gotta wonder why I did that. LOL! The only thing I have of my dads is a small blood stained Japanese flag. That and the answers he gave me to some of my questions about the war in the phillipines.

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Thanks for sharing that John, I bet a few old memories were flying around while looking at you dads belongings....I enjoyed it.

-Jim-

7. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Thanks John ,never got to make the service myself.Something to do with feet,eyes etc.brother did 20 yrs though so guess he made up for me:roll_eyes:.After you mentioned it I don't recall dad talking about WW2 much either.Don't even recall where he was stationed.Don't think he ever said either.Only thing I do know he was in the Army.. You have a lot of memeroy there my friend.Going through that paper work you'll probably learn a lot about your dad you didn't know.Thanks for sharing your story.

8. SHARON FLEMING

SHARON FLEMING New Member

State:
    IOWA
    John that was a great story, both of my parents are gone and sure wished I would have ask them a lot more questions while I was growing up.

9. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Very interesting about your dad John! Thanks for sharing.

I wish there was more I knew about my dad. When he was alive I wasn't all that interested... today if I had the chance I could ask him a bunch about his life. He was 48 when I came alone. He had already lived an interesting life.

Me too.... I only kept my USAF jacket and one pair of pants and a cigar box full of misc. I didn't even keep my brass. Wish I had kept a complete uniform.
    I took this silly picture last year... but the pants and jacket still fit after 51 years. :crazy:

Attached Files:

10. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Nice look there SSGT! LOL!

11. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    thats good stuff john.

i dont have a clue about what i still have and its only been 3.5 years. i know ive got some paperwork, 8 disposable camera's that have never been developed, a couple of placks, and a small yellow rag we used to place inside of cleared rooms to let everyone behind us know they had been cleared.

12. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks for the comments fellas. Gonna try and upload that picture of Dad. Olefin looked so sharp, he needs some competition. Ya got to realize Pop was a Boheme and didn't look as good as Train Wreck or those marines.

13. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    John, I didn't know much about my dad either. I know he was stationed in Japan during the Korean war. He ate very fast because he was conditioned to do so while in the service. Other than that, I know nill, nada, squat about my father's life experiences. I don't have any paperwork to gaze upon either. He wouldn't speak of the war. Also, we didn't get along too well most of the time since I was an ungreatful little brat who didn't appreciate things since I didn't live through the depression. I had to live through HIS depression though. I always wished we woulda burried the hatchet before he died.

14. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i know what ya mean matt. my ol man aint dead, yet. but, it has allways amazed me how someone i admire in so many ways can bring me to blood boilin violence just by standing in the same room.

john: at least he wore his cover like a salt dog. all half cocked and ready for the ladies.

15. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    John, that's an excellent picture of your dad.

I still have my DD 214, Report of Separation. It states I had 56 days accrued leave to be paid on final pay. On that final day this 21 year old kid had more cash money than he'd had in his lifetime... think it was around $600. :smile2:

They tried to encourage reenlistment with a nice bonus but all I was thinking about was going to NYC Grand Central Station and heading home.

16. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I got most of the Old Mans USMC papers and some medals. He was in the Korean War. I kept my USAF dress blues, but unlike Dayton they no longer fit. I was a SSGT also Dayton. Military Service in my family is a thing most of us participate in. My Son spent 5 years active in the Navy. I even have the original Andrews papers from the Civil War, very interesting. Thanks for the trip down Memory lane. Later Andy

17. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I wish my Dad would of kept his stuff he was in the end of korea and begining of nam,When I was lill I tried to get ahold of his records but they were sealed tight so I can only wander what he was diong.Was always told he was a airplane mechanic but you didnt dare let him work on anything according to Mama so I dont know??? .Good post Beetle man thank you all for sharing .

18. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks Andy,
    My grandpa on mothers side was in the Civil War. Enlisted in the First Regiment of Tennessee in 1861. Was wounded and captured at Gettysburg. Stayed a POW at Ft. Delaware to the end of the war. She told me a lot about him for he had been gone for years before I came along.

19. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    You ever see that movie The Great Raid ? Its about the rescue of 500 POW's at Cabanatuan (Survivors of the Bataan Death March) .. Really good movie... Lot of Nasty fighting went on in the Phillipines...

Makes you wonder how many untold stories about our Fathers/Grand-Fathers/Uncles/Grandmothers, etc. of TRUE heroism there are.