AGM Batteries

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Cat<*(((><Brown, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Cat<*(((><Brown

Cat<*(((><Brown New Member

State:
    nc
    Does anyone know if the new Deep Cycle AGM gel batteries will handle a 15 or 16amp charge. I'm currently running 2 starter batteries and I do alot of night fishing, Does not take long to run my #2 battery down. I want to get one of the new AGM gel deep cycle batteries to run at night when I'm anchored up but I heard the gel batteries can only take an 11 amp charge and I am guessing the charger on the boat is 15 or 16 amp. I was told by my boat dealer that if I charged the deep cycle battery with the boat charger it would burn it up? Has anyone else had that problem?
    Last time I went out the weather sucked and I wound up running the motor most of the night to keep from running down my reserve battery, Was to nasty out to risk getting stuck out on the water. Any ideas????
    <*(((><

2. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    I hadn't used or heard of that particular brand of battery, but if it is a 12v battery, your charger would have to put 12-13v to bring it up to full charge. The gel cell batteries i've used will take up to a 17v charger on them. You may look the company up on the internet and get a hold of their technical dept. Good luck.

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    AGMs are Absorbed Glass Mat which means the electrolyte is absorbed in glass mats between the cells.Gels use silicates added to the normal water/acid liquid to make a paste.GELS are very sensitive to charging volts but AGMS are not.Go to the TROJAN Battery website and it will give you all the info you need.If all you are looking for is more running time in a deep cycle the TROJAN SCS SERIES 31 battery has 225 minutes of reserve.That means it can sustain a 25 amp draw for almost 4 straight hrs.You shouldn't be running any more than 5amps with your lights.If you are refering to the charger on you engine dont worry you will be lucky if you can keep them both charged up with a 15 amp alternator.I have a 60 amp on my Merc 200hp and it doesnt bother my AGMS a bit.Again if you just want running time get a liquid deep cycle.They are cheaper ,and generally have more reserve minutes.They also require maint which an AGM wont.:big_smile:

4. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    I don't know about all the fancy talk......electricity aint my thing......but I have three Cabelas AGM 27 series and they will run crappie lights, livewells, and anything else on the boat for what seems like forever compared to the regular deep cycles. I run 5 12 volt crappie lights for 7-8 hours on two batteries and they are still almost fully charged when I get home.

On the flip side....one of the three just died this last trip for no apparent reason. I was not using it but when I tried, no charge. Now it won't accept a charge. Hope that is the exception to the rule..... Getting ready to exchange it for a new one.

5. kylekutta

kylekutta New Member

State:
    NC
    AGM's batteries are built for more vibration and shock(dropping or hard hits). They have more vibration resistance than spiral cells(optima batteries) or flooded cells(normal marine batteries). AGM's and spiral cells are no maintence, where flooded cells need maintence. If vibration is not a problem or normal maintence is not a problem then I would save the money and buy flooded cell. AGM's and spiral cells are used in alot of heavy equipment where maintence and vibration could be a problem. I have four 100 watt offroad lights and two 55 watt fog lights on the front of my boat. I also have two 55 watt offroad lights and two black lights on the back on my boat. Of course I only use them when I am under power or setting up. The only light that are constant are the black lights while fishing. I have two walmart(everstart) flooded cell marine batteries, forgot the specs on them sorry. One will last all night but I take two just in case I need it. The starting battery is only for starting so I wont get stuck on the water. Hope this info helps.

6. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    Despite the temptation do not run lights off of your cranking battery.

:embarassed:

However, a small lawnmower/garden tractor battery is very light as a reserve and cranks my 25 HP Honda multiple times. Wired to your primary engine circuit it stays charged and will start you if your primary dies.

7. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    i cheaped out and got the walmart everstart marine batteries... had one die on me, but i took it back, they tested it and there tester said it had a bad cell and i exchanged it no problem... i imagine the bad cell came from running in rough water, any battery can only take so much abuse before something gives out... i think its more of how much money you want to spend... if you don't mind spending a bit extra go with the agm's as they are maintenance free and more vibration resistant... my everstarts haven't failed me... all my electrical is run off of the cranking battery, but it wasn't my choice, its the way the boat came... but i have a second battery just for the trolling motor... i always bring a set of jumper cables with me for just incase... my fishfinder has a voltmeter in it and allows me to set an alarm when battery voltage drops to a certain point so that i can start up the motor and charge the batteries for a while... both of mine charge off of the motor, so it takes a little while for them to charge back to full.

8. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    The battery was fine.......the fancy battery box with a 12 volt outlet turned out to be the problem. So.......couldn't be happier...

9. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I run marine master batteries which are basically the same as the trojans. They have tons of reserve capacity over 220 minutes, I run a stereo and spotlights and many other things and haven't had a problem. I also use an onboard charger when I get home I just plug it in and go inside, they keep the batteries in top shape. I believe it is a dual pro SE from bass pro, I think cabelas sells them too, mine has fifteen amps per bank I believe but you can get them with more or less per bank, just depends on the requirements you need. One of the better things I put on the boat.

10. Pier Pressure

Pier Pressure New Member

State:
    Mt.Pleasant,NC
    Typically AGM's don't have the CCA's of a liquid deep cycle or even close to a starting battery. However I tied 2 group 24 AGM's together in parallel for starting and all other requirements and they have yet to have laydown on me. Tied together they easily start my motor and run the bait tank, bait tank light, sounder, running lights etc.. all night without any problems. As for the charger on your outboard, your probably only getting 10-20% of it's rated output, so you won't cook your battery. If your reffering to an onboard AC charger thats rated at 15 amps, you probably will shorten the life of the battery some, but not terribly. I've been told by more than one expert, that if you slowly deplete a battery, you should slowly charge it. Starting batteries die fast and charge fast, deep cycle is just the opposite.

If you live around charlotte, Battery sales and service on old pineville road and south blvd. in five pionts sells AGM's that were used in battery back up systems for the banking industry. After 1 yr. they replace every battery, so these AGM's are like new (AGM's can last B/W 7- 10 yrs. if properly cared for- don't run all the way down and charge between 6-10 amps). Stan the battery man on old pineville sells grp 24 AGM's for $21 w/ 1 yr. warranty and grp 27 for $25 w/ 6 mo. warranty and takes your old battery for a core charge of 3 -4 dollars. I have bought a pile of these for myself and my fishin buddies and have yet to get a bad one. The first one I bought was exactly the same as the BPS AGM I had paid $130 for, same case, same stamp's on the case, made at the same factory. At this price they are almost disposible. Hope some of this helps, Jim

11. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    The onboard charger I have doesn't just charge at a straight 15 amps, it only uses what it needs to safely charge the batteries and to keep them in good shape. It is a solid state computerized charger and conditioner and you can leave it plugged in 24/7x356 days a year if you want to. After almost 2 years of heavy use they are still in brand new condition. If you are going to buy good batteries buy a good charger. As for charging the batteries while the engine is running, I only charge the starting battery when running the boat. The deep cycle has so much reserve capacity that I cant use all of it in one outing, that includes using the trolling motor and running all of the accessories all night long.

12. Cat<*(((><Brown

Cat<*(((><Brown New Member

State:
    nc
    Here's the deal. I got a 22' Triumph CC with spread lights on the T-top. Yeah I know it is over kill but I used to live at the Bay and still know more than a few spots. All I do is overnight fish. Usually pull the kids all day and then they camp and I fish. The Bay is now a long way from King NC. So to make a long story short I spend every minute I can On Badin and Tillery... when I can.
    I run the spreader lights and others when needed (with kids that's alot), depth finder, raido and raw water wash down and bait well. I will spend the money on an AGM battery as long as charging with the motor will not damage it.
    I'll start the boat with the starter battery, run for a while and then switch to battery #2 and charge for the night shift. Everytime I start the boat I switch back to #1 and repeat process. I want a battery that will run everything all night. Must be maintenance free.
    I can tell I have come to the right place. God bless the BOC!!!
    So what's it gonna be third shifters? I'm buying something Sun! Gotta get on the water.
    AGM or flooded? Old style Gel is out because of the charging amp restrictions. Thanks for the help and see ya on the water soon....I hope.
    <*(((><

13. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    In my opinion I would say get a real good flooded deep cycle, yeah there is a little maintenance to keep them healthy but they have been around for years and years and are proven. I would say either marine master or trojan, both have extremely long reserve capacities.