aging deer

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by cumberlandcat, Oct 10, 2009.

1. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have been trying to read alot about aging deer and such. I caught this guy on my trail cam the other day. What would you say his age is and would you put a arrow in him?

Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Looks to be maybe 2 to 3.

3. phase5supply

phase5supply New Member

State:
    Hope Mills, NC
    He is a nice buck, I would say 2 1/2 if he makes 2 more years he would be a real trophy:big_smile:

4. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I would say 3 years max probally younger. Great genes tho. If it is private land you should let him walk until next year. Public land i wouldn't think twice.

5. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Probably 2 1/2 year old by looking at the main beams. He's got some good genetics in him and if he makes it in a couple of years or so he'll be a monster. Nice buck! It would be hard to pass him up, but in my older years it's gotten easier to for me. It's been 5 years for me since I shot any because of it. I get just as much enjoyment watching them and I still get the adrenaline rush.

6. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Kinda hard to tell without a good broadside pic of him but I would say 2 1/2 years old. If I was hunting trophies on private land I would let him walk. Public land just depends on what has been seen there whether I would let him walk or not. Of course if Im hunting meat he's done for sure.

7. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Also, something else I thought of, he doesn't have the neck or chest of an older buck.

8. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well I just bought the land and have never had a chance at a buck like him before so I am having a hard time deciding what a man should do. If my wife would have never bought me a trail cam I wouldn't have this problem to start with. With a bow it would be a great deer for me. I'll let you guys know what I end up doing if I see him again and thanks for the imput

9. phase5supply

phase5supply New Member

State:
    Hope Mills, NC
    Chris only you can decide to harvest him or not, if he was on my land I would not shoot him, but 3 years ago before I stared a management plan he would not have got a free pass. In the past I shoot some young bucks like the one in your photo and I am very proud of them. It is hard to pass up a buck like that, there is a lot of factors how much land do you have, can you keep him on your track, do other land owner around you hunt and let young deer grow or do they take anything. If they lease there land do the other hunters kill everything. If you let him walk you may never see him again or next year he may be a nice 10. You may not see him next year either but if he breeds it would help your heard. You can taken him and have a fine trophy today or gamble and have an even better buck next year. If I had never harvested a nice buck I would properly stick an arrow in him.

10. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Wish hw would turn sideways so we could see his belly. Looks a bit narrow in the neck and like JC said, i'm sayin between 2-21/2. If ya don't want him stuck, keep him up there.:wink: Another year, he'll be a smoker.

11. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I posted and then read. This sums it up right here what this man said. Several factors to consider. If you let him walk will the next guy? If so let him walk, if not,,,,stick it.

12. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Here another pic of him.

Attached Files:

13. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    Up here that'd be the size of a 2 1/2 yr old. Hard to tell a guy what to kill or what not to kill. Great first buck. Great first bowkill.

14. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    That's my guess, too. He doesn't seem to have enough mass to be a 3 1/2 year old. If you're looking for a wall hanger, let him go another year or two. I know most of my friends would shoot him, but they don't have any trophies on their walls ether!!

15. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    I'd say between 2 and 3 years old. he doesn't have the real thick neck or chest of an older deer. If you're on public land I'd say stick em but if he's on your land let em go a few more years. He's gonna be a beauty! Me personally I'd probably shoot em but I've only taken one deer in my lifetime and that was yesterday:embarassed: lol

16. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    like most im gonna say 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 but if its real early in the season that might change if he beefs up for the rut.have you got enough land to lure him to the middle of it and how many other bucks have you seen on the land.ive killed lots of buck but not being a trophy hunter id take him.i like good deer but they dont have to be 140 or over for me.its a personal thing with each hunter and if he suits you go for it.

17. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Chris,Who cares how old he is,Is it a legal buck? Here I shoot the first legal buck I see ,some years that means going home empty .:wink:Horns are pretty,But venison tastes better IMO.

18. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I guess it all depends on how hungry you are when you are hunting. I usually start out hunting day thinking to myself that I will shoot a doe and leave the small bucks alone..........but it doesn't always turn out that way and I never lost any sleep over my decision to pull the trigger.

19. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would say 2 1/2, yes I would stick him.

20. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill