ageing process

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by skiff1, Jan 2, 2010.

1. skiff1

skiff1 New Member

State:
    south caro
    what is the most effective way to tell how old a cat is? I know you can measure an weigh them but thats only if there in a balanced environment. I don't think you would get the same results from one lake to another.

2. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Cut him open and count the rings:big_smile: then let him swim in peanut oil for about 5 mins and taste for age:wink::smile2::eek:oooh:

3. skiff1

skiff1 New Member

State:
    south caro
    you talking about the rings on his gill plates?

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...what is the most effective way to tell how old a cat is?..."

The ONLY METHOD for aging a catfish is to measure the otolith, which is a bone in the ear of the fish. This must be done under a microscope, and you have have to kill the fish in the process.

5. skiff1

skiff1 New Member

State:
    south caro
    yea thats good to know but i'm sure there are other methods while your own the boat

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    THAT, was good! Reps out!

<yea thats good to know but i'm sure there are other methods while your own the boat>

Absolutely... NO WAY!

BB in SC

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  7. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "...yea thats good to know but i'm sure there are other methods while your own the boat...."

Actually, no there are not.

We have had many biologists attend our Carolina Catfish Club meetings and all will tell you that the only accurate way to age a catfish is by measuring the otolith.

They all will tell you that a five pound fish can be five years old, or fifteen years old, and there is no way to know for sure without killing the fish. It all depends on the food supply, competition for food, water temperature, and the genetics of the fish.

8. nick81

nick81 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    yep:wink: thats what I do. It's the best method I've found yet!

9. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    It really depends on the size tank they are in. Big tank means they can grow to be a big fish in shorter period of time and thats if they have plenty of cover and food. I can look at any catfish and tell you there weight and age within a 10lb or 10 yr span:smile2:jk

Good question and i wonder at times how old they really are. In-Fisherman use to write up stuff on it, wish i could find one of there mags. Them guys know everything:big_smile:

10. skiff1

skiff1 New Member

State:
    south caro
    thanks for yalls input and especially yours wyliecat looking forward to attending some of the meetings this year just wish they were alittle closer to the home stead

thanks bill could not resist

11. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC
    on average, if a fish. has proper food,an diet. it can gain up to 5lbs a year, catfish have been opened an examined, and they have even aged some up to ten years old over 85lbs. you do the math on that,next time somebody says.. it takes a fish 50 years to grow 50lbs. just laugh... it only happens when the fish has found the ''Perfect growing conditions" such as hydroelectric water/dam's this water never gets under 70 dgs. triggers growth hormones. how do i know these things?? im going to school for it. 3years from now.. ill be working for NC fish and wild life.

12. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "...if a fish. has proper food,an diet. it can gain up to 5lbs a year..."

Ideally, that is true.

Lots of other factors beside food come into play. Competition for food is a big factor. Water temperature even plays a roll, especially in the growth of channel catfish.

One of the blue catfish aged from Lake Norman, that was I believe around 60 pounds, was aged to be around 18 years-old if I remember correctly.

"...3years from now.. ill be working for NC fish and wild life..."

Well hopefully we will be seeing you do a presentation for the Carolina Catfish Club in the near future!!

"...thanks for yalls input and especially yours wyliecat..."

No problem.

Just an FYI, there is another aging process that was used for a while, and that utilized measuring a cross section of one of the spines on the pectoral fins. It was found to be less reliable than the otolith measurement.

If you like to read scientific stuff, here is a good explanation of the process:

http://www.stat.wvu.edu/~gmerovic/B...es of channel catfish. NAJFM 22 934-942..pdf

13. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    best method for ageing a catfish is a length to age graph

14. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC
    "...3years from now.. ill be working for NC fish and wild life..."

Well hopefully we will be seeing you do a presentation for the Carolina Catfish Club in the near future!!

yess sir!

15. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    To age a cat, lay him on a flat surface as soon as you take him off the hook. Count how many times he flips from side to side, measure his whiskers. Divide length of whiskers into the weight of the catfish and add the count of side to side flips. The final total of the equation is the weight. That is a very scientific and accurate way to determine the age of a catfish...:roll_eyes: Well, sounds good anyway...LOL :big_smile:

16. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Robert, i'll go with yours, probably as acurate as any. Even though it would be nice to know his age it really don't matter cause if he comes in my boat he will live to see another day.:wink: