Age to start fishing in boat

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Bazpro, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Bazpro

Bazpro New Member

State:
    VA
    My boy will be 2 this month and can't wait to get him out on the jonboat. It's a V-bottom in the front so not as sturdy as a flat bottom. I was curious about what age others started bringing their kids out for short fishing trips. I'm guessing around 4.

2. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    Andy,
    I can't say it was for fishing, but we took our daughter out on the boat since she was about two.
    I remember bringing the "potty chair" along in the boat.
    I could probably get her to sit for short boat fishing when she was about four.
    The main thing I found for those early fishing trips was make sure they catch fish. I would set up for sunfish with a bobber and don't plan on fishing for yourself, just keep the kids line baited and wet. Those are great memories for all.:big_smile:

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Heck man I am 48 and I am still scared to get in a boat!:big_smile:

4. jombieman

jombieman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Had both my daughters out in a boat very young. Just be safe and wear a life vest that will fit your child don't to put a vest on that is to big. And the big thing is to make it fun for your kids. My 8 year-old is going fishing with me this weekend and she and I can,t wait. Jombie

5. Bazpro

Bazpro New Member

State:
    VA
    Thanks for the replies. I took him bank fishing a few times this summer. I had to hold him because he was more interested in climbing the hill behind us (by the road) then fishing. I think I was more interested in getting his first fish picture. Hold it next to him and take the pic with the "what the hell is that" look on his face. Gotta love it.

6. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I started my son on the boat when he was around 2 years old. My daughter has been on boat since she was in her mommy's tummy. Well almost. :big_smile: We started taking them both out regularly when my daughter was around 18 months old and that would have made my son about just over 3 years old. He is 21 months to the day older than his sister. My daughter just turned four the other day and we have had two good summers with both of them on the boat. My son will be 6 on March 22 and he spent a lot of time this past summer with just me and him on the boat. Until this summer I always had a second adult on the boat if one of the kids was with me. Of course they always were a proper sized PFD. My little girls PFD has a strap that goes between her legs and a strap handle at the back of the neck (just in case).
    We let our kids swim in the life jackets so they learned to trust them and how to swim in them is there were ever overboard.
    I hope this helps,
    David

7. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    My daughter has been fishing in a boat since 1 1/2, my sons first trip was on a pontoon in a playpen. My daughters 1st overnight was when she was 10.

8. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I've got a 2 year old daughter who's dying to get on my boat. I promised her I'd take her in the spring.

She loves to fish as much as I do. She caught a lot of little bream out of farm ponds.

9. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    My two oldest boys were two when I started taking them out on the boat.

J

10. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    i think i was about 2 or 3 when i first went in the boat, we have so many pictures of that day when dad caught his 35lber.

11. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Andy,
    Sorry I did not notice on my first reply but it looks like you are new to the BOC.
    Welcome to the BOC. Now we just need to do something about that user name "Bazpro".:smile2::byebye:

12. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I'm about the same, my youngest was in the boat with me at 3 or so (didn't have a boat until then). My oldest (8) has been fishing overnight with me on the river since he was about 6. Have fun!

Branden

13. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    dont make the mistake i did.i was so busy trying to make it as a pro bass fisherman i left my son home till i had to slow down because of shoulder problems.my son started to hunt with me when he was 4 but he was 12 before i took him fishing so now if im going hunting hes all over it.but fishing im on my own so start him early as you feel comfortable with.

14. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I was born in November, was on the water the next May.

Bit young for fishing, but by the time I was 4 I was well versed in boat etiquette. (and how to "go" on the bank! LOL!!!):smile2:

15. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    My daughter wasn't even 2 the first time i took her for a boat ride.....She was 2 the first time we went fishing. By law she has to wear a lifejacket at all times (she would even if it wasn't the law). I dont see a problem with 2 year olds in a boat as long as you watch them, make them sit down (for the most part) and keep them away from any unnecesary (sp?) hooks. Make sure to bring plenty of sunblock, water, etc. I've only got a 14' x 48" jon boat, and i dont think twice about taking my daughter.

16. Budmeister

Budmeister New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Started my boys around two years old.

They were baitin,fightin and dippin a net on their own by six

17. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I've been taking my daughter out on the boat since she has been 18 months old. Now she is four and loves to "steer" the boat when we change holes! This summer I started teaching her how to read the finder and she'll let me know if there are fish in the "hole" (which is always! :smile2::smile2:)

She absolutely loves to be on the water, we enrolled her into swimming lessons when she turned two and now she can swim across grandma and grandpas 30 foot pool and back without assistance. But she knows that the PFD is to be worn on the river.

This november, before her 4th B-Day, she reeled in her first blue! Then she reeled in a couple more before we called it a day! It's in this post here.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63453

18. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    It all depends on how rambunctious they are,I have a 5 and 6 yr old that I have been taking boat rides fer a couple years now working them in slowly to fishing,there intrest is sparked.This year we are gonna try it a few more times and like Pits said I have to not be so serious -it is about them and not a pro fishing trip.Main thing is be safe,make sure they have a good pdf and teach them everythig as best as you can.Them lill monsters are all diffrent...LITTLE PEOPLE are what makes the world go round.Its a blast but challenging to say the least.

19. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i took my daughter to the lake for the first time when she was 9 months old. i'm gonna make it part of her learning, so she is aquainted with it, and she learns it to be part of life! lol rollo

20. Bazpro

Bazpro New Member

State:
    VA
    Would you rather I be Catpro? Tell me you wouldn't picture me as a 89 year old woman with 74 cats and 3 sand boxes for the kittys to do their potties. Oh, and the smell in my house would be terrible.

I love bass fishing and catfishing. Thanks for the welcome and for all the other posts. By spring, my boy will be a few months over 2 and I'm taking him out. I'll take my dad or a friend to help keep an eye on him.