Age Old Question: Move em... or Leave em...?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Game_Of_Inches, May 21, 2007.

1. Game_Of_Inches

Game_Of_Inches New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have heard numerous arguments for this question for as long as I've been fishing so who better to ask than BOC members. You've been sitting in you boat for 15-20 minutes with live baits and no action. Your baits are lively and the fish should be biting. Do you reel in and recast your poles or let them sit?

2. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I let my sit. I know it can be boring to do that but most of the time it will pay off.

3. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    For me, it depends on a few things?

If it's a new area I've never fished and know nothing about, I'll let them set for 20 - 30 minutes, then move them around a little.

If it's a place I fish a lot and know there are fish there, I'll let it set for hours?
    ( I know that big fish is setting there waiting for the right time to make his move? :0a32:)

Ken

4. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    welcome to the boc jared , the answer to your question is going to be different from one person to another . for me its more like if it sits 20 minutes and i know the fish are there cause normally i dont fish a spot unless i mark them on my hummingbird 535 i will crank the handle over one complete turn then about every 10 minutes or so do it again alot of times if fish are there they will attack the bait in fear of it escapeing i have done this and brought the bait all the way to the boat then cast it back out again .

5. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    I usually will sit in 1 spot for about 30 min. If no action I'll pick up and move somewhere else. I keep doing this until I find where they are. Fish that until the bite quits and then move to an area like the 1 I just fished.

6. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I might leave my bait in one spot for hours. Especially if I fall asleep.:big_smile:Saturday night, the fishing was slow, so I took a "nap" for about 5 hours. When I woke up, I looked at my pole, and it was bobbing. Grabbed it, and low and behold a catfish was on. Hadn't been hooked long either. Maybe it was waiting for my bait to rot? Anyways, normally I will reel in about every 30 minutes, and either rebait, and recast near by.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I'll move quicker when using cut bait than when using live bait.

8. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    IF i have been at a spot for 30 min or so and no action, I will give a good tug at the line to "wake" the bait up a little. Or I will just real in a foot or so to repostion the bait. I threw it there for a reason so I keep it there as long as possible with little trick to keep the bait lively. On Most of my fish this year, by bait had been soaking for atleast 1 hour. So my trick seem to work for me. Hope they do for someone else.

9. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    If I believe they were cast to good spots to begin with, then I'll eave them alone and let em do their job. I believe that the fastest way to kill a bait is to cast it too much. Seems like one cast and a good rest is fine, but casting and recasting seems to kill them.

If I'm sitting there for 30 or 45 minutes with no action, then I'll bring them all in and move to a new spot.

10. Game_Of_Inches

Game_Of_Inches New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If if fishing decent to good water I probably let my bait sit around 15 minutes then I reel in and recast all of my poles. I'll let them sit for another 15-20 and if no dice on the the next spot. I can't even count how many times getting a run in less than a minute after I've recasted in a spot that I've had a pole a few feet from. I think this is a good method especially if you are targeting active fish.

11. Rhinospawn

Rhinospawn New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I fish spots for 30 min or so and then moved up or down river just about 30-50 yrds and try there. I continue until I'm done.

also reael in soem times alittle or fish different hole from same area.. fish will come.

12. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    It depends on what species I am targeting.

If I am around some brush or logjams and using a lively bait for flatheads I will not wait very long. If they are active and I have several baits around that structure they will find it quickly.

If I am bluecat fishing with cutbait along a ledge or scour hole or something then i will let them sit a little longer as the blues will move along that ledge and soemtimes we gotta wait for the school to move back to our area.

13. lakatman

lakatman New Member

State:
    louisiana
    i reel in about every 30 minutes check my bait and move it if i havent had any action

14. MON RIVER RAT

MON RIVER RAT New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    I let it sit for about 20 to 30 minutes and then i like to reel it in to check my bait and throw in another location. I'll stay in one location for hours if I know there are fish there. If I'm checking out new spots I'll stay for about an hour or so then move to another location till I find fish.

15. okiejc

okiejc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Are your fishing from the bank, or a boat?

16. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    I let it set for 15 to 30 min then reel it in check the bait rebait if i have to and throw it back