Age of fish

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by 10uhcplz, Dec 22, 2008.

1. 10uhcplz

10uhcplz New Member

State:
    Jackson Tenness
    Can you tell the age of a fish by the size?

2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yes, a great big fish is almost always older that a littel bitty one.

3. 10uhcplz

10uhcplz New Member

State:
    Jackson Tenness
    I was thinkin' it had something to do with his whiskers....LOL!!!!!!

4. skbrilo

skbrilo Member

State:
    Nashville, TN
    From another site...

A bone in the catfishes inner ear called the otolith can be examined for annulus rings much as those on a tree.
    An examination of the otolith is fatal to fish.

In a study on Kentucky Lake and Ft. Loudon, they found that the waters where the catfish grew had a huge impact on their size. On average, a 10 year old fish in Ft. Loudoun was 17.4 inches while the same age fish was 27.7 inches in Kentucky lake. The oldest fish in the study from Ft. Loudon was 33 and was 34.4 inches, while the oldest fish from Kentucky Lake was only 11 and was 29.1 inches.

The second, and most amazing information comes from the Virginia Department of Game & Inland Fisheries and involves fish from the James River. The blue catfish grows in length at an almost constant rate over the 15 year plot. Their weight, however, increases very slowly until they are about 8 years old at which point they average 5 pounds, and become reproductively active (about 17 inches). From that point, mainly because of diet shift, they put on weight at an amazing rate. At age 10, they average 10 pounds, at 12 they average 20 pounds, and at 13 they average 30 pounds. Some fish had reached 50 pounds by age 11, although age 13-14 is more typical. The mortality rate for these rapidly-growing fish is extremely high once they reach the 9-14 age group. The oldest fish recorded in Virginia was 25.

The estimated age of the 121.5-pound TX state record blue catfish was between 27 and 30 years old.

5. ibmeubu

ibmeubu New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    When i was in my teens ,late fifties my dad and I caught a 75 lb yellow cat (flat head). We kept him in a concrete pool that was 4' wide and 10 ft long. We keep him alive in the pool for a couple of weeks . one nite about 10 pm (we had a fish market) I went inside for something and heard a lot of trashing around in the pool. he was in there with other smaller fish. As I slowly looked over into the pool to my amazement the big cat had about a 4lb white cat about half down head first. when we finnally dressed him out the TWRA wanted his skeleton to study. This fish was slightly over 4 ft long and was caught in the ole Johnsonville area on the Tenn. The TWRA reported back that this fish was 10 years old. like "skbrilo" said there is a bone that has rings just as a tree that tells the age. This bone is actually the big side fin on a catfish and yes to check it will kill the fish or at least you must cut it off right next to the body

6. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana