Age of a catfish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by postbeetle, Apr 28, 2007.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Are there physical characteristics that allow you to age channel cats? And does anyone know their lifespan?

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    There are little bones in their skull called otoliths which grow rings with age like a tree. Other than discecting the fish, and having a complete understanding of this, I think it would be next to impossible to determine the abe of a fish.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Unfortunately, you can't look at a fish and guess it's age as close as you can look at me and guess mine. Think our game department said a flathead don't start to spawn until they are around 7 years old... and they put something like a minimum length of 19" on the flats to be sure they do get one or two breeding seasons before they are taken to dinner. So, a 16 inch flathead is probably about 7 years old. Doubt that helps, but without having a microscope and observing the rings in the olith (sp) thats as close as your gonna get. Oh, flats supposedly grow slower than channels and blues.

4. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    i heard somewhere that if a fish lives in perfect conditions all its life it can live forever.. does anyone else think this is a crok?

5. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I believe it, under good conditions, I could see them living a very long time kinda like a reptile.

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    No way to tell the age without cutting the head apart of doing a cross section on the fins.

7. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska

no im not talking about a very long time.. the person that told me said forever and he meant it.. i dont really beleive him cuz hes been known to lie a lot

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Just bye looking at a catfish I cant tell his age.

9. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I don't have that problem when someone looks at me. They say-Man he looks old!

10. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I have a chart that I use to "age" my channel catfish. Unfortunately I don't think I can post it without a copy write violation warning. I splits it up into Northern and Southern fish and it gives approximate
    avg. length and weight relative to the age of the fish. I believe that it is fairly accurate but the version I have only goes to about 8-10 years of age. I can see if I can find a more extended version and get back to you. I'm not sure how large the margin of error is but a chart is available.

Richard